PS1 Wallet: Anyone using it?

liliane314

May 23, 2014
Hey everyone!

I am moving to NYC and in preparation I am rethinking my entire wallet strategy. I was looking on the Proenza Schouler site and noticed, as many others have, the wonderful price of just $165 for the PS1 wallet.

I actually really like the idea of carrying bills separately from cards, especially if I am moving to a large city. I was curious if anyone has a PS1 wallet and uses it in a similar way. And, if so, do you carry your cards inside even without designated card places, or do you carry other things to fill that void as the wallet is really just a pouch?

Any insight would be fabulous. I love my PS1 bag and am eager to expand my collection. However, I am hoping to make a budget-conscious decision and cannot decide if I should splurge on a wallet that keeps everything together, or two separate pieces. Thanks!

Hi!

I do love how this wallet looks but I have tried keeping things separate and it always ends up meaning I've forgotten something, especially if I switch bags. I think if you are busy and changing bags, it might be better to keep everything in one place. That's just me. Others might make it work but I just can't do it. Good luck!

Hi!

I do love how this wallet looks but I have tried keeping things separate and it always ends up meaning I've forgotten something, especially if I switch bags. I think if you are busy and changing bags, it might be better to keep everything in one place. That's just me. Others might make it work but I just can't do it. Good luck!

Ah, gotcha. I'm going off to college so I have to choose which bags to take carefully, so I don't think I'll be switching bags too often, which could maybe help me minimize that occurrence. Thanks for your input :smile:.

By keeping things separate do you mean bills in one wallet and cards in another?

Yes, that is what I mean exactly!

I lived in NYC and I used one wallet that kept everything together (it was a Coach wallet though, not that exp, around $120 or so?). I'm a giant germaphobe, so thinking about it now, cash and change probably made my wallet really gross. *shudders* However, there's something to be said for maintaining a fast pace.

Say you're in line waiting for the Metrocard kiosk. You get up there, try to pay for the MTA card using your credit card, but it doesn't go through. Try again and it doesn't go through. Will you then fumble through your purse to switch to the wallet/pouch that contains cash? Are you the type to get stressed when you hear impatient people huffing and puffing while they will you to hurry up? Or when you notice your train's come in and you have 30 seconds to make it through the turnstiles, onto the platform and into a car? (I was.)

Or, there could always be that crappy scenario where the aforementioned kiosk is temporarily only accepting cash. If you don't have your cash wallet/pouch on you, you're SOL, unfortunately.

The germaphobe in me wants to say, "Yes! Brilliant!" to the 'keep things separate' strategy. But the ex-NYC resident in me says having it all available in one location may be better in terms of practicality.

PS1 wallet is gorgeous either way! I purchased a large wallet but had to return it due to some scratches on the back, and they sold out of that color lightning-fast. :sad:

I lived in NYC and I used one wallet that kept everything together (it was a Coach wallet though, not that exp, around $120 or so?). I'm a giant germaphobe, so thinking about it now, cash and change probably made my wallet really gross. *shudders* However, there's something to be said for maintaining a fast pace.

Say you're in line waiting for the Metrocard kiosk. You get up there, try to pay for the MTA card using your credit card, but it doesn't go through. Try again and it doesn't go through. Will you then fumble through your purse to switch to the wallet/pouch that contains cash? Are you the type to get stressed when you hear impatient people huffing and puffing while they will you to hurry up? Or when you notice your train's come in and you have 30 seconds to make it through the turnstiles, onto the platform and into a car? (I was.)

Or, there could always be that crappy scenario where the aforementioned kiosk is temporarily only accepting cash. If you don't have your cash wallet/pouch on you, you're SOL, unfortunately.

The germaphobe in me wants to say, "Yes! Brilliant!" to the 'keep things separate' strategy. But the ex-NYC resident in me says having it all available in one location may be better in terms of practicality.

PS1 wallet is gorgeous either way! I purchased a large wallet but had to return it due to some scratches on the back, and they sold out of that color lightning-fast. :sad:

Ah, that is a really good point. I didn't even think of that. My main reasoning was that if I am pick-pocketed (which, I am honestly so careful and paranoid, is a probably very slim chance) it would be good to have them in separate places so I didn't lose everything at once. But now that you mention your point I do have to think about that. Thanks so much for your insight!

Ah, that is a really good point. I didn't even think of that. My main reasoning was that if I am pick-pocketed (which, I am honestly so careful and paranoid, is a probably very slim chance) it would be good to have them in separate places so I didn't lose everything at once. But now that you mention your point I do have to think about that. Thanks so much for your insight!

You're very welcome!

I saw someone blatantly pickpocketed only once. It happened to be a guy who had his wallet in the back pocket of his trousers. Yeah, that's a no.

I kept my most important items (wallet/phone/passport, etc.) in the innermost zippered pocket of my purse. When paying in an especially high-traffic environment (various kiosks, large markets, on the street, etc.), I'd open the innermost pocket and take only the bill itself out of the bag instead of the entire wallet.

NYC isn't as dangerous as you may imagine. :smile: You'll get into the swing of things in no time! And you already sound like a careful person. I'm sure you'll have a great time experiencing college there.

And whatever you end up deciding, all that matters is that the method works well for *you*. :biggrin:

You're very welcome!

I saw someone blatantly pickpocketed only once. It happened to be a guy who had his wallet in the back pocket of his trousers. Yeah, that's a no.

I kept my most important items (wallet/phone/passport, etc.) in the innermost zippered pocket of my purse. When paying in an especially high-traffic environment (various kiosks, large markets, on the street, etc.), I'd open the innermost pocket and take only the bill itself out of the bag instead of the entire wallet.

NYC isn't as dangerous as you may imagine. :smile: You'll get into the swing of things in no time! And you already sound like a careful person. I'm sure you'll have a great time experiencing college there.

And whatever you end up deciding, all that matters is that the method works well for *you*. :biggrin:

Thank you for your kind words! I'll keep them in mind :smile:. I will probably stop by the store and see what they look like in person before making any decisions. Thanks!

I think it's a perfect wallet for a student. It won't limit you as much due to the lack of organization (i.e.: Throw your phone in it if you want to run out to the coffee shop, and it's cute as a clutch).

You can still do the whole "separate wallet" thing, too, but you can be smart about it and combine the two if you buy a credit card holder. That will fit in the PS1 wallet so easily, and you can use it on its own, or store it in a different part of your bag if you're in that mood.