PS1 pouch vs Balenciaga Hip

Elaine1904

Aug 13, 2015
Hi guys - I am looking for a casual travel handbag that will hold essentials only - passport, card case, cash, phone earphones, tickets

I was just wondering if anyone owns both of these bags and which one they would recommend? I currently have a Rebecca Minkoff Mini moto for this purpose but I don't like how boxy it is...

Any thoughts?

The Proenza Schouler pouch is a wonderful bag with great organization and pockets. It can be said to be more of a boxy bag to some but the leather is very soft and it does hold a lot of things for a small size bag. The strap is long so it is a perfect crossbody and secure bag to me. This probably has been one of my all time favorite bags and it is super light too. I have had mine for I think three years.

My friend had the Bal. And it to me is a nice size but quite thin and one can really only carry very little in it. To me t seems in size more like a larger makeup bag. But if you are looking for a bag to only carry such a small amount if things this would work. I wonder if the Bal. would still be the same style as the mini Rebecca Minkoff.

Maybe do a image search on both bags and how they look with people wearing them.

Wow, I never noticed that the styles are different! I thought that it was the same bag. I am after something similar to the one on the right. Like this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 9.05.45 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 9.05.45 pm.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 529
I like the idea of the soft leather. But the one I am looking at has slightly stiffer leather than traditional PS, the SA said that this was a new style of leather for PS. The thing that makes me want to upgrade the RM is the saffiano leather. So stiff!

I like the idea of the soft leather. But the one I am looking at has slightly stiffer leather than traditional PS, the SA said that this was a new style of leather for PS. The thing that makes me want to upgrade the RM is the saffiano leather. So stiff!
It could be the new PS1+ style, it has a bit stiffer leather :smile:

How would the PS1 tiny work for you? I have one and the leather feels very soft. It still is a small bag in my opinion. A image search of people carrying it can give you a,better picture of how it looks.

I have a purple PS1 mini that I got because I saw it for a really good price BN (around 354USD) and I still prefer the more rectangular, sleeker shape of it anyway. However, I do think the Pouch is more functional as it has that patch/slip pocket on the front, which I imagine is dead useful for your phone and a zippered patch pocket on the back instead of just a slip one. I have to say it's convenient for me to slip my cardholder in and out of the slip pocket at the back when I'm out and about though; it's just the right size. I do worry about the leather stretching out but I found the leather pocket wasn't that stiff/firm to begin with anyway.

In essence the Mini is also smaller by half an inch and I can't help wondering if it translates to quite a bit more room in addition. I can live with the Mini as recently I've fallen hard for my mini crossbody bags for every day but I am concerned that it could be too small for me in the future, like if I want to switch to a small card wallet instead. I think a lot of people would find it too small for an everyday bag too. It would definitely meet the OP's requirements though. The Mini just has one large compartment and the slip pocket at the back. I've included a photo of my innards though you can't really see much.

Here's what I usually carry: authenticity card inside the envelope, 5 individual wipes, a safety pin and a few individual pills in their blisters that I cut out, all in the zipped pocket inside. Then: a ribbon hair tie, a coin pouch, pack of wet wipes, a PocketBac, Sea Bands in their case, a lipstick, a micro USB fan, eye drops, sunglasses or my glasses in a soft pouch with a folded microfiber cloth in, and 2 keys on a small keychain (not pictured, hanging out in a bowl instead). And of course, my iPhone 6 Plus (in a case) that I used to take these photos. It's decently full but not too stuffed or anything.

I did tie another knot (so mine has double knots) in my strap so that I can wear it crossbody as I'm short and didn't really want to wait to find some place to punch another hole in it. So far it doesn't bother me. I would want the newer stiffer leather in a Medium. I think the soft lambskin is pretty luscious and has a little forgiving give. I wouldn't say the Mini is boxy.

Attachments

• IMG_6713JPG.jpg
    IMG_6713JPG.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_6706JPG.jpg
    IMG_6706JPG.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 495
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 501
I'm currently travelling in Los Angeles area with my PS1 Pouch and I'm more than pleased with that bag as travelling companion. It's so carefree and it holds all my essentials (wallet, sunglasses, passport, lipstick, powder and all documents). I use the front pocket for my phone. It's so easy to carry and to use in airports and flights, so I definitely recommend it.

I know this post is a bit older, but I'll add my thoughts on the mini. My mini just arrived, geranium lux leather, looks just like the mini in post 3. It's a pretty color, but I am disappointed. The leather is so different from my PS1 med., it is stiffer, the sides and bottom almost feel like they have some kind of structure in there. The top and front of the flap are a little softer than the sides and bottom, but thicker than my PS1. The back and front seem similar to the flap, but it's a bit hard to tell with the pocket in back. There is some texture, it's not smooth and grainy, and no sheen at all as in the pouch in post 3, or Reckfly's purple mini. It is labeled as prod. 2016. (I read another post where someone wanted the 2016 specifically for the leather difference.)
For me, I don't care for this new lux leather. That soft, shiny, smooshy quality is what I loved. I miss the slouchiness, this bag doesn't slouch. This is not the PS1+ calf, but the lux lamb.
When comparing to some RM minis, I would say the RMs are structured, the ones I have anyway. This mini is softer that the RMs, I wouldn't call it structured, but softness and slouch is nothing like the older bags. I'm hoping it will soften up with some use, but I'm not yet sure I'll keep it. Can't compare to a Bal hip, I don't have one.
I have another PS1 med. coming later this week, I'm just hoping it's the older leather. I won't be buying anymore unless I can see them in person.