PS Preparation and Sharing Experiences - No promoter!

Day 5
Today is Day 5. Swelling is, I would say, 50% gone as of right now. But my face still looks big and anyone who looks at me will think I have a huge swollen face. Little bit of bruises around my eyes. The swelling went down my necks because I noticed my necks getting swollen and had bruises. I can still breathe my with nose - now except for the times where my nose would get blocked because of mucus...etc. Dr. Park said I can use nasal spray but I am a little bit skeptical about it. Tried on some more harder food and still not very successful. Small diced fruits in yogurt - i can eat. Small ground beef pieces I could eat. But other things like bakery products, breads, meat...etc no way I can eat as of right now. My mom just brought some bakery for me to try and I cant just eat it easily but I think it is a good way for me to practice my teeth, jaws and cheekbones to work together again so I will try to eat this little bit by little and practice. Now my mouth can close up all the way fine. I still have bandages around my head and I look like a fat kiddo with chubby cheeks who got into a fight and got bruises on my eyes. But my eyes have no more swelling, just some bruises. Today I walked around a little bit. Watched some more drama like 24, Prison Break, read some news about North...etc. Tomorrow - I will have my stitches removed and I can finally take a shower, wash my face...etc. :smile:
Sleeping is not a problem now since I can breathe with my nose. But I still cannot sleep on my sides and at times I would do it without knowing (it just happens in my sleep) but when I realize I am in that state I get straight up and lay on my back facing up again. Mum went downstairs to make some food and I am typing this. What else can I say... I arrived here 2.5 days before my surgery and I had an opportunity to meet my friends and visit some
places. I wish I had more time. But there will be another time to enjoy and explore Korea. My flight back to the US is 7 8 days from now on - which by the time, I hope, I will be a in a much better state.
There is no right now to tell how my nose looks and how much cheeks look because of the swelling and the stuff on my nose to keep it protected and to eep it straight, i guess. Tomorrow when they remove the stitches if they remove the nose cover - I will see what it looks like. But the doctor strongly recommended me not to draw any conclusion for 6 months up to 1 year to see the final result. So as long as I am mentally prepared I should be fine.
Even if I notice some asymmetric result or different shapes or something like that I guess I will have no choice but to stay patient and wait for the final result. Last thing I wanna do is look at myself before it is 100% recovered, get freaked out thinking the surgery didn't go as planned and lay down on the surgery bed getting my face cut again. :smile:
I can breathe, I can eat somewhat better, I can move around, walk around... and it is a big progress! Just hope the swelling subsides faster.
Tips:
1) Have Korean money at all times. You will need it everywhere.
2) If you ever take taxi, have the destination address written in Hangil
3) Take the yellow or grey taxi (not the deluxe or international ones)
4) Come with someone else if you can (that way he\she can cook for you or run for errands like buying grocery...etc)
5) Choose your place to stay carefully. Fridge + kitchen + big space + and maybe even window for cool air - amust!
6) Try to learn to breathe with your mouth at least few times and try to get used to it. U will need it.
7) Make sure you are healthy before you have this surgery otherwise if you get sick and have this surgery - thats the last thing u wanna deal with
8) Bring whatever you might need for the recovery (e.g Sinecch, nasal spray...etc)
9) Comfortable button-up tshirts, short...etc.
10) You will need things like: bandaids, bandages (different kinds such as for bleeding, for wrapping your head), tapes, towels, paper towels, tissues, wet tissues, water, cups, small spoons...etc.
11) Mentally prepare yourself. Things aren't going to be magically perfect.
12) Bring some thing to do while recovering. Movies, books...etc.
That's all I can share as of right now. Unfortunately, I will not be sharing my photos here - but I will definitely post more updates later. (Hope I don't forget).

Last edited:
That's it from me folks. I hope that was helpful but there are at least 1000s of pages of experiences like this, you just need to dig further into the thread and other closed old threads (possible spend like a month reading the threads and forum, and make notes like how you read a good book - that's how I learned)

I won't revisit the site in the near future as I need to return to my normal life, but I hope the sharing vibes will go on and people will get more out of this thread without the presence of promoters/translator or any other for-profit parties on here.

Stay beautiful, we all are!

I have a question for people with dental retainers/Invisalign braces. How does one use them with surgical procedures that prevent one's mouth from opening too wide, post-surgery? E.g. Jaw surgery, chin implant etc

If even brushing teeth is a problem with these procedures, do your teeth get out of alignment for the recovery period?

Mai, thanks for taking the time to give us a great re-cap that's filled with info, tips, how-tos and all sorts of helpful info that we come to expect from your posts. Congratulations on your amazing result as you mentioned in your post! I am very happy for you.

No questions for you, just want to send my best wishes in everything else you do in life.

I have a question for people with dental retainers/Invisalign braces. How does one use them with surgical procedures that prevent one's mouth from opening too wide, post-surgery? E.g. Jaw surgery, chin implant etc

If even brushing teeth is a problem with these procedures, do your teeth get out of alignment for the recovery period?
If you are having braces, you are generally denied from bone related procedures: cheekbone, chin, vline and two jaws. My friend who had braces on was refused by the clinics, they said only when she has her removed and the teeth settles in new form, then they will do procedures on her. That means she need to wait for 1+ year for her procedures.

Great job MaiQ! I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with the result, congratulations!
Thank you for assuring us that you're not promoter, for really doing this for the community and not for your own interest!
If you don't mind, I may have an explanation for "annoying under research people bothering you with too many questions" :biggrin:

Let me tell you this. I've been in research for over 2 years with lot of readings and collecting docs so I read almost all the posts that you quoted above. However, sometimes I still ask stupid questions about PS. Why? Because there're too much controversial information posted out there on forums, and this can be sooo confusing for first timers like me. That's why we PM or email experts like you trying to verify what we read. I'm sure that they don't mean to annoy you with stupid questions. Please understand :smile:

Great job MaiQ! I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with the result, congratulations!
Thank you for assuring us that you're not promoter, for really doing this for the community and not for your own interest!
If you don't mind, I may have an explanation for "annoying under research people bothering you with too many questions" :biggrin:

Let me tell you this. I've been in research for over 2 years with lot of readings and collecting docs so I read almost all the posts that you quoted above. However, sometimes I still ask stupid questions about PS. Why? Because there're too much controversial information posted out there on forums, and this can be sooo confusing for first timers like me. That's why we PM or email experts like you trying to verify what we read. I'm sure that they don't mean to annoy you with stupid questions. Please understand :smile:

Well said Anna, I just started in this forum and been reading a lot. Im unfamiliar with a lot of terms being used. I was going to ask but im afraid i sound annoying so i wont. I just hope more people with good result dont mind to share detailed of name dr, procedure, technique used and such.. Mostly i see name of bad clinics and bad dr. That helps in a sense but then we only left as that. i understand some after having good result dont want to share where or which doctor. With this post it gives me hope that there are good drs out there.. Now how to find them.. Lol .. And i have been doing research for drs before.. The only way to make the right decision is to have people point to you and show you the real result on themselves.

Did you guys save up for the surgeries? I wanna get the surgeries done before my university. But sadly I think I won't be able to save enough. Do you think it's a better idea if I do all at one go or one by one? I have to do my nose, chin.

Nose+chin together should be doable. It makes more financial sense to do them together if you're traveling to do it, cos it's one set of a com/air tickets and sedation/Anesthesia, and most importantly -one recovery period!

Did you guys save up for the surgeries? I wanna get the surgeries done before my university. But sadly I think I won't be able to save enough. Do you think it's a better idea if I do all at one go or one by one? I have to do my nose, chin.
I won't do it one by one... I save as much as possible to do as many in one go. This is because if you do many with the same doctor they will be able to harmonise the features better than doing different procedures with different doctors (The result of doing procedures with different doctors is usually the 'fake' looking face, sometimes we cant explain why faces like that looks fake because each features post surgery look perfect on their own, but not when they are together). Different doctor has their own styles and ideals of beauty and by doing it with many, it's like you are sewing your facial canvas with different pieces of canvas that doesnt match in sizes.
Do an internship in the summer, that should give you a good chunk of money. The rest of the expense, take out a personal loan.

The information are so helpful, I can't thank you enough MaiQ..
I feel like going across the globe by yourself is already a big deal not to mention undergoing the surgery at the same time. Its nice to know that there are people going through the same thing and sharing the experiences with you so we can be more prepared.
I'm glad you like your look, wish you everything nice in life.

Hey Mai Q

Thank you for such informative post, much appreciated. So glad to know you are recovering well and happy with the result. I am also planning my PS trip next year for double eyelid and facial contour surgery. Just wondering how many days you have stayed in Korea in total? Thank you

hi, MaiQ, thanks for sharing the experience, but may i know do you speak Korean? because you didn't talk about the language barrier, did you hire a translator? if yes can you share about some information?

i'm going to have consultation with few clinics next week, but i don't speak Korean, and considering hiring one translator, but don't know where to start.