PS and ruelala

mdmd

O.G.
Sep 16, 2007
Hi all, thinking about making my first PS purchase on Rue La La but I emailed PS to ask if they were an authorized seller and they said they weren't. The discount is great, but would you chance something going wrong for a ~30% discount? Just have no experience with this brand (quality? Customer service?) though have been eyeing their bags for awhile now.

Hmmm.... No one seems to have ventured down this route so I'm going to have to give it a pass. So many of the posts on here are about damaged bags that I'm not sure it justifies a $$$ price tag. Seems that PS needs to seriously think about improving their customer relations. And kinda odd that there are a bunch of TPF blog posts that talk about the RueLaLa sales yet PS doesn't recognize RLL as an authorized seller? Confusing.

Hi, I'm not sure why PS hasn't authorized RLL but from fall last year most PS bags comes with a chip and an authentication card which could be important for repairs etc. Perhaps RLL bags are from before this was introduced?

Hi Elliespurse, thanks for your reply. The bag I'm interested in is a chianti color--I think it made it onto the PS sales recently but not sure how long that color has been around.

I don't know if Bluefly is approved by PS but I got a bag from them recently and it had the plastic credit card thing and the newer jacquard lining. They(Proenza Schouler) may not APPROVE of the resellers out there but I don't doubt they are making money from them. Rue La La has been around for awhile and I've not heard anything about them selling fake items.

Oh, I'm not worried about them selling fakes. I love RLL! I'm just more concerned about PS not willing to fix problems with bags purchased from their non-approved sellers. There was a thread awhile back about someone buying a bag from ******, screws coming loose, and PS refusing to fix the (small) problem. I guess I would like some guarantees on craftsmanship for anything more than a few hundred dollars, but maybe that's just me.

I can understand that. These bags don't come cheap at all. My feeling about it is: if it's a PS bag and you have that plastic credit card(Authentication card?) they should stand behind their workmanship no matter where you got it. They sold it to someone who sold it to you which is pretty much how you buy a bag unless you get it directly from them.

As a girl with experience both with RueLaLa and Proenza (especially damaged Proenza), I think I can add something to the conversation!

In December, I bought a PS1 Medium in the black/white geometric triangle pattern at Nordstrom. It was on super-sale and was a complete impulse buy. I had been pining over the PS1s for years and this was the best price I had seen! However, I must have used it for about a month and I noticed that the clasp was falling apart. The little bar that holds everything together was falling out, and it was impossible to close the bag. I had heard that PS was great with repairs and sometimes even gave a free wallet for the trouble, so I decided to go to the Madison Avenue store in NYC while I was there on vacation and ask for advice. The lady was very nice until I mentioned that I bought the bag at Nordstrom. Her whole attitude changed (I still cannot figure out why, since as far as I know Nordstrom is a verified seller...) and she said I needed to go through my Nordstom store. I did, but Nordstrom sent my beloved bag to a third-party bag refurbisher (who the saleslady informed me was very trustworthy and that they sent all their bags to him). The bag came back fixed, but I was disappointed that PS couldn't help me out. I was nervous sending the bag away.

RueLaLa is a great site. You can't not love it. But with my past experience with PS and a broken bag, I would definitely be wary of buying a bag from RueLaLa if it is a PS1 or the likes. From what I have heard, I am not the only one who has had issues with the PS1s lately. However, I did notice that RueLaLa has had some super cheap wallets and cosmetics cases up, so for those I think it's fine--they don't have many components that could be defective.

In all it's up to you. You can definitely find someone to fix your bag if something does go wrong, but in my opinion it shouldn't be that difficult! It really depends if you can justify the discount to the risk. But I would definitely keep an eye on the forums on account of the PS quality issues!