Protective plastic on Postman's Lock

kitbel

O.G.
Apr 8, 2010
Hey everyone. I bought a regular oak Alexa from my-wardrobe last week. I've been wanting one for ages and thought I'd better get in there before the prices went up! The first one they sent I had to send back, as it had a black mark on one of the straps.

They have sent me a replacement, which has no marks, and seems to be lovely leather, but the Postman's Lock has no protective plastic on it, as new Mulberry bags usually do. Neither did the first one they sent me. Do you think this is something to be concerned about?

I'll post some reveal pics later! :biggrin:

If the lock is in good condition, i.e. no scratches, chips, etc, then I don't think it's a problem. Obviously if it shows sign of damage or wear & tear, then that is not acceptable and you should send it back.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as there is no damage. I take it off my bags as soon as I get them if it is still on it at all. To me keeping it on is like keeping a plastic cover on a car seat after purchase...why??? That's just my own humble opinion of course!

Thanks so much for all your responses! There are no scratches, so I think the postman's lock is fine. I am just totally undecided about the alexia in general. I love the shape, the preppy look, and the fact that it can be worn as a messenger, but when I compare the leather to my NVT oak bays, it just doesn't seem worth such a lot of money. Wondering if I would be better off with something more robust and hard wearing, like an elkington or a barnaby.

Aaaargh ... Why is it so difficult to make decisions about bags! I seem to have been agonising over this one all year! :nuts:

Thanks so much for all your responses! There are no scratches, so I think the postman's lock is fine. I am just totally undecided about the alexia in general. I love the shape, the preppy look, and the fact that it can be worn as a messenger, but when I compare the leather to my NVT oak bays, it just doesn't seem worth such a lot of money. Wondering if I would be better off with something more robust and hard wearing, like an elkington or a barnaby.

Aaaargh ... Why is it so difficult to make decisions about bags! I seem to have been agonising over this one all year! :nuts:

Hi Kitbel

I have the same dilema and posted on another link re this. I too love the Darwin and NVT leather. I have the East West and Ledbury in NVT and the Blenham in Darwin and they are so what I expect of a leather from Mulberry.:graucho:

I am a bit concerned that the Alexa leather isn't as robust and that it will pull on the handles where attached to the bag if too much is in it.:nuts:

I would not want to be in your shoes as I wouldn't know what to do either.

Let us know ans when you can post some pics.:graucho:

i bought a alexa clutch direct from mulberry.com and the protective plastic wasnt on that either. it had a mark on the postmas lock so i always wondered if it was a return or somthing like that?

i bought a alexa clutch direct from mulberry.com and the protective plastic wasnt on that either. it had a mark on the postmas lock so i always wondered if it was a return or somthing like that?

Funny- I had ordered an Oak Alexa (I'm in US) from Net-a-Porter and when I came I was underwhelmed. There was no protective plastic on the postman lock on either side and I noticed one of the buckles had a dent or something on it. I also thought I noticed some wear on the piece that joined the front to the back of the bag on the rolled part. Just didn't seem like an $1150 bag. I returned it and NAP promptly refunded my $$$. I wondered if it was a return.

I got a call from the NYC Bleeker St. store since I was on their wait list and got a bag shipped to me. It was beautiful and such a different looking bag than the one from NAP, which looked like an old bag. This bag was nicely packaged and was immaculate: no worn looking areas, plastic on the postman lock (both sides), no nicks on buckles,etc. I sprayed it with the Collini (sp?) spray and use it primarily as my weekend bag. Got several compliments and it fits the stuff that I need. I actually used it in the rain the other day and the water just beaded up on it.

Nice bag to have added to my collection and glad I made the decision.

I have to say I have oak alexa and oak barnaby - and love both- but use the latter when I have to take heavier stuff as I do worry more about wear on the alexa leather- to me it just isnt as robust