Protection after case closed

daisy999

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
Hi ladies,

I would love to have your input on a current situation, and what else, if anything, I can do to protect myself.

The short story is, I just had an ebay case for "item not as described" closed in my favor as a seller. It was definitely a case of buyer's remorse, because the buyer's only argument was that the item did not fit. She had purchased a different item from the same line in the same size and that item fit; the one she purchased from me did not (for clarification, the items were two different styles). The auction clearly listed the size as given on the garment label and also clearly states that all sales were final. Ebay closed the case since it was not eligible for the Buyer Protection Program and removed the negative feedback the buyer had left me. They told me I had nothing else to worry about.

Now I am concerned that this buyer may open another case in Paypal or file a chargeback with her credit card. Has anyone had this happen before? If either of those happen, what can I do to protect myself? Thank you!

Also, a reminder that no good deed goes unpunished. This same buyer had assumed she could take 2 weeks to pay the first time around, since she was out of the country and didn't feel safe paying. She said she really wanted this item, and feeling charitable, and against my better judgment (please no recriminations, I'm feeling stupid enough as it is), I allowed her to bid again, instead of just blocking her. I really hate it when buyers do this, as this sort of behavior is what cause sellers to buckle down and be super uncompromising about policies. I know life happens, and sometimes, there really are special circumstances to be considered. However, when buyers pull this sort of thing, it really makes me unwilling to make allowances next time for what may be a perfectly legitimate reason.

MAGJES

O.G.
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina
Sorry you are stuck with such a pita. Your buyer cannot file a PP claim since she opened an ebay one (you can only do one or the other). She can however open a CC dispute. I have no idea what she has to prove in that case to win.

Apr 15, 2007
Your buyer may may decide to dispute the charge with her credit card. I don't know
how much money is involved here, but she can file a chargeback with her cc.

The credit card company likely will do their own investigation & make a decision
& advise her accordingly.

She also may be told she can keep the item based upon the information she provides
to the cc & hopefully it will be accurate.

Many cc will offer a one time credit based upon the person's credit history with the
particular cc. Visa, Amex , MC all have their own policies & evaluate all of this before
making a determination.

The cc may contact ebay as well to see why ebay closed the case in your favor.

Keep us posted

daisy999

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
Sorry you are stuck with such a pita. Your buyer cannot file a PP claim since she opened an ebay one (you can only do one or the other). She can however open a CC dispute. I have no idea what she has to prove in that case to win.
Thank you. I was not sure if it would be possible to open a PP claim if one had been opened on eBay. I'm glad to know that she can't!

Your buyer may may decide to dispute the charge with her credit card. I don't know
how much money is involved here, but she can file a chargeback with her cc.

The credit card company likely will do their own investigation & make a decision
& advise her accordingly.

She also may be told she can keep the item based upon the information she provides
to the cc & hopefully it will be accurate.

Many cc will offer a one time credit based upon the person's credit history with the
particular cc. Visa, Amex , MC all have their own policies & evaluate all of this before
making a determination.

The cc may contact ebay as well to see why ebay closed the case in your favor.

Keep us posted
Thanks for explaining the chargeback. I've never done it with my credit card, so I'm not certain of all the details. If she does do a chargeback, will the credit card company go after Paypal or will the company eat the cost? If the cc company goes after PP, will PP then come after me, even with this case closed in my favor?

I have no idea what this buyer will do, which is why I'm trying to take precautions if possible. She seems to take a lot of things for granted...like it will be okay if she pays me 2 weeks after the auction ends or that she can return something due to fit even though I don't accept returns. She never responded to my (polite) message a week ago explaining why I was unfortunately unable to accept her return and encouraged her to either resell or consign the item if it did not fit. I thought that was the end. I literally woke up this morning and had a item not as described case open and negative feedback left. I am concerned that I will wake up a week from now and find that she has issued a chargeback and PP has taken the money from my account. :sad:

Sep 13, 2007
The prairies of the Midwest
I am concerned that I will wake up a week from now and find that she has issued a chargeback and PP has taken the money from my account. :sad:

It's entirely possible. If she files a credit card chargeback it all depends upon whether Paypal decides to fight it for you. (If they do fight it I think they charge you a fee like $28. Don't quote me on that. That used to be the case years ago. I don't know if it's true any longer or what the fee is. You'd have to look in the Paypal FAQs.)

I had a buyer file a chargeback 90 days after she received the item, sent me an e-mail thanking me for it, and posted positive feedback. Her claim in the cc chargeback was that she never made the purchase, her credit card had been hacked. Uh-huh. I e-mailed her and she e-mailed me back and said don't worry, everything will be straightened out eventually, and I never heard from her again. Paypal told me that because the sale was under $50 they wouldn't fight the chargeback and just took the money out of my account. <groan>

Their procedures may have changed since then. The world is a crazy place and it's almost impossible to be prepared. :Pullhair:

Apr 15, 2007
Just for clarification, I might make the phone call to ebay & speak with a supervisor
to find out exactly where you (seller) stand with all of this.

Will ebay fight on your behalf & will the item be returned to you if the buyer
does indeed file a chargeback & win or who here takes loss? The last thing you
want is to see money taken out of your account. Is there a fee involved for ebay
stepping up to the plate on your behalf? You need some answers just in case &
would get the supervisor name who gives you the info.