Proper Way To Shop In Louis Vuitton?

Jul 18, 2008
I usually go into Louis Vuitton and know what I'm there to get. Most of the time a SA will assist me within a couple minutes. But if I'm not at my usual LV store and I'm on vacation the SA do not come right away to help or even at all. I guess they are used to people window shopping in these tourists areas. So when a SA does not approach me I just pick up the item myself and look at it.

I was with my cousin and I tried on sunglasses and then put them back but she said that I shouldn't touch anything and instead wait for a SA to ask me if I needed help.

So I guess my question is: is there really a proper way to shop in Louis Vuitton? I'll feel really embarrassed to know that I have been doing things wrong all this time.

i dont think theres a wrong or right way to shop. I normally just pick it up and if I want to buy something or look at something thats not already on display then I ask an SA. I shop in a city where LV is almost always busy, its virtually impossible to wait for someone to assist you.

I don't think there's a proper way to shop in any store. When I walk into Louis Vuitton, (whether it's my usual store or not) I am greeted & asked if I need any help. The store you went to doesn't seem very helpful.. maybe you shouldn't go there again.

I go to my LV Boutique often, so I know all the SAs. I, personally, don't feel right going in and just picking up things. Usually, one of them come to me right away and I ask to see something. If they are really busy, I'll slip by one of them and ask if it's okay to look at such and such.

If I was at a different LV Boutique, and didn't know any of the SAs, I would definitely wait for an SA to help me. I wouldn't go around touching and picking up things. BUT, I wouldn't wait forever!!! I'd leave and go someplace where they wanted to help me!

It's not a good idea to start touching items on display without assistance from a SA. They are not only worried about theft, but also messing up the form of the displays. Some people take items out of the displays and haphazardly place them back, making the display look sloppy. If you've noticed the displays are set up to look like pieces of art in a museum and if customers randomly start picking things up and putting them back whichever, it will make the displays look disheveled, much like the selling floor of Macy's on Black Friday. SAs will place the item back in the proper manner, as a museum curator would.

As far as trying to get the attention of a SA, I find standing in one place helps. I find that someone usually assists me promptly when I do this. It clues them that you want to see something. When you mill around the boutique, it comes off as if you're not there to buy.

When I get the attention of an SA, I usually introduce myself and ask their name. It just kind of gives a lighter air to the situation and makes both of you comfortable. I also try and make some small talk about LV (i.e., new lines that are coming out, how things somethings are selling). I've gotten to see the lookbook and have gotten VIC gifts at boutiques that I don't usually shop at with these gestures.

I just went up to the counter and was approached right away. I knew pretty much what I wanted, so I asked a few questions, looked at three different bags and made my choice within 5 minutes. Nice and quick! They were very nice (and the SA's assistant had a lovely Cartier Santos watch!)

It's not a good idea to start touching items on display without assistance from a SA. They are not only worried about theft, but also messing up the form of the displays. Some people take items out of the displays and haphazardly place them back, making the display look sloppy. If you've noticed the displays are set up to look like pieces of art in a museum and if customers randomly start picking things up and putting them back whichever, it will make the displays look disheveled, much like the selling floor of Macy's on Black Friday. SAs will place the item back in the proper manner, as a museum curator would.

As far as trying to get the attention of a SA, I find standing in one place helps. I find that someone usually assists me promptly when I do this. It clues them that you want to see something. When you mill around the boutique, it comes off as if you're not there to buy.

When I get the attention of an SA, I usually introduce myself and ask their name. It just kind of gives a lighter air to the situation and makes both of you comfortable. I also try and make some small talk about LV (i.e., new lines that are coming out, how things somethings are selling). I've gotten to see the lookbook and have gotten VIC gifts at boutiques that I don't usually shop at with these gestures.

Yeah I guess I shouldnt touch things. I try to put them back like they were displayed but I can still see the SA getting annoyed.

I am planning on buying sunglasses from a Louis Vuitton in Maryland when I go to visit my aunt and cousins. Do the sunglasses come with a box just like shoes come with a box? Or will I have to ask them for a box.?

I am planning on buying sunglasses from a Louis Vuitton in Maryland when I go to visit my aunt and cousins. Do the sunglasses come with a box just like shoes come with a box? Or will I have to ask them for a box.?

When I purchased my Conspiration Pilote sunglasses, my SA gave me a box, with the sunglasses in the case, and the brown cord around the box. I also got a small square cloth with Louis Vuitton on it. I've also heard that some sunglasses also come with a cloth case with a string that goes inside the hard one. It's the kind where you pull the cord and the case closes, (like a Noe I guess! :P )

But to answer your original question: I don't think there is a right way to shop. When I shop in my local store, I know the manager and my SA, and one of the two is usually there. Sometimes I have something specific in mind, and sometimes I'm just browsing. It all depends. I don't think my SA minds of I were to pick a bag up myself. I've bought things in Paris and New York, and the SA's are always helpful and attentive. I usually don't wait long for service.

I did not know if there is a right way to shop in LV store or any store for that matter. When I am interested to look at something and the SA are all busy, I will pick-up the stuff as long as it’s in my reach, and will return the item the way it was place. I will wait for a SA for a minute or two, and if no body comes to ask for help, I will leave. If I am desperate to see and purchase a specific bag, then I will be patient and wait for the agent. I guess there are shoppers that have no etiquette, and they feel that they turn the display up-side-down and don’t care.

The way i see it, you wouldn't go to a clothing or a shoe store without touching anything without an SAs assistance right? How is an LV store any different? As long as you're not climbing the walls or being completely obnoxious, I think its ok. It does irritate me when ppl pick up stuff and leave it completely messy as if it was their own house, i think thats rude. It's a store, they are in business to sell, thats why they have shelves at arms reach. Am i the only one that thinks it is ok to pick up stuff without an SA?

hmmm... i've only been in lv one time..the charlotte,nc lv and the sa just stood behind the counter politely smiling at me while i browsed... he wasn't rude just carefully watching and smiling....when i was ready i asked a question and he politely answered...i usually don't like it when sa's follow me around and keep asking me do i need help that irks me...lol i also don't think u should pick up things w/o at least greeting an sa to let them know your not casing the joint for something to lift...lol

Going behind a counter to get an item is something I would never do, but sunglasses that are set up with a mirror. Nothing wrong with that. I was recently in an LV boutique that had a large sunglass area with a mirror nearby and I tried them on. No one got upset, but so what if they did. Come and do your SA thing then!

My co-worker who used to work for LV said that SAs aren't supposed to let people help themselves for a variety of reasons. It used to drive him crazy that he had that directive, yet some products were within an arm's reach for customers.

I'm a polite shopper. I expect assistance, so I rarely make a mess in any store. My attitude is, if I don't want a SA's opinion or feedback I will just shop online. I think it helps to greet the staff when you first walk in. Most browsers try to avoid contact with the staff... So if you walk in with a friendly "Hey!" They'll know you're in the store and ready to do some damage!