Proper Way To Shop In Louis Vuitton?

like some have said before me, i do think as long as the bag/sunglasses/scarf are in arm's reach, i will put my grubby hands on them to take a closer look or try them on. But i am very careful with the items and gently place them back. If they weren't meant to be touched, then they should put them behind glass cases. It's louis vuitton for heaven's sake, not the louvre!!

thank you!!

I wander happily behind the counters here if there is a bag there I am interested in, it doesn't seem to bother the SA's. Some come over and start chatting about the bag but none have glared at me or asked me to put the items back.
I do always have an LV bag with me so don't know if that makes them think I am buying more.:nuts:

i don't think there's a handbook for the 'proper' way to shop at LV.. :P
but i ALWAYS enter with a smile.. (armed with a particular item in mind ~ to purchase or just see).. and dot the room for an SA that's 'not occupied'.. wait till his/her eyes meet mine.. then we proceed... :amuse:
in my neighborhood boutique, there is also sometimes a queue at busy times, and you get to be assisted in order of arrival (so i go at 'less busy' times)..
also, i try NOT to touch any item, as i've observed that others are reprimanded for doing so..
instead, i would make a gesture of wanting to see or touch something, so as to be assisted.. ;)

If nobody pays any attention to me, or greets me, I will very tentatively stroke the things I like. I don't toss them around or take them away from their original station but I'm very tactile and love to feel things.
Nobody has fussed at me yet.
I don't cross barriers or go behind counters though.

I was at one of the LV at Saks in NY and there was this very friendly SA helping me. At one point while we were talking and we went into a similar subject like this, about touching and removing items from the display. He explained to me about how customers may put items back on the display after looking at them but not completely the same way they were placed, certain display shelves have lighting through the bottom of the shelves and if items were put over the lighting for a long time it would burn the material. O___O And the purses or items would have burn marks...he told me it has happened quite a few times too...anyone else had that explained to you like that?

But yeah...I usually wait or ask for assistance if I wanted to look at something. But if a SA was rude or seemed reluctant to help me I would just go to another store and not go back.

Regardless of my respect for Louis Vuitton,any LV store is just a..store,not an art gallery or anything like that,so if I want to watch an item i pick it up and look at it all-sides if I want to and it's not my concern if any of the sellers feels that i messed his "ikebana" display or whatever hardwork he thinks he did.It's their job to arrange the displays and they are well enaugh payed to do it.
I really think that you think too much about it.Remember that you are the customer..they are there to serve you,not the other way,especially in a luxury store.
And about those sunglasses..of course you should get a box..even if you buy a no-name pair you get one..and if they don't give it to you is your right to ask for it..i mean it's something indispensable if you want to protect your sunglasses from scratches.
However I never experienced any "bad-behavior" from sellers.they were always very kind and helpful,but if i need their assistance i ask for it,if no,i touch whatever i want to and nobody ever told me i'm not allowed..but if they did i wouldn't accept that kind of behavior.Remember..we are customers..as they say in sellings:"Our customer-Our god"

I was at one of the LV at Saks in NY and there was this very friendly SA helping me. At one point while we were talking and we went into a similar subject like this, about touching and removing items from the display. He explained to me about how customers may put items back on the display after looking at them but not completely the same way they were placed, certain display shelves have lighting through the bottom of the shelves and if items were put over the lighting for a long time it would burn the material. O___O And the purses or items would have burn marks...he told me it has happened quite a few times too...anyone else had that explained to you like that?

But yeah...I usually wait or ask for assistance if I wanted to look at something. But if a SA was rude or seemed reluctant to help me I would just go to another store and not go back.
You said that you would go to another store and not come back..My question is WHY?
What you should do is talk to the manager of the store or something like that.
I'm quite surprised that are people that experienced that kind of behavior.At my usual store they even bring me coffe or juice,and on special ocasions(like Christmas),champagne.
You shouldn't put up to this mess,i mean you don't pay thousands of dollars on a bag from a store where people aren't even nice..it should be a pleasant experience shopping from LV

If it's not behind the counter and I can reach it I try it for myself. I think that sales rep was just being mean. I have never had that problem at a LV store. Usually, if I am trying a lot of items someone rush over to help me. If I am just brosing and touching here and there sometimes no one approaches me. I have never received bad service in a LV store. That rep was just having a bad day!

I actually saw a girl in the store reach for a bag on Sunday and the SA took it from her and said someone would be along to help her- I never touch!

I've been told off my security for "touching" the items. Literally just that...Not even picking them up and handling. It came off quite rude as I saw someone else move something and they didn't say anything to them. I can understand if they're worried about theft but to be honest a lot of the smaller items are already behind glass and mainly only the larger items like bags are on display. Considering there's always a guard at the door monitoring who comes and goes how easy would it be to steal a bag?? :rolleyes:

However I find it easier to approach the SAs first and ask them to show me.

I don't understand what is so difficult to understand: you walk in, a SA should greet you and assist you with looking at each item. You choose which item you want and the SA packages it to your preferences.

Meaning, SAs need to do their jobs and approach customers and assist them. Some SAs are fabulous, but I've met my fair share of SAs that didn't do their jobs. I just left the store.

Likewise, you have to expect that the store management will not be too happy with you if you are messing up their displays... It is rude and trashy behavior, imo. How often do we read posts from other LV loving neurotics that advise to never buy the floor model because it's not brand new? Well, the reason why the floor model is so beneath the stored stock is because everyone and her mother has put her hands' oils on the leather, etc. The behavior increases the chances of theft. And well, Louis Vuitton isn't the selling floor of a Macy's. If I wanted to dig around a pile of bags to help myself, I wouldn't be shopping at a designer boutique.

You have to expect that if you walk into the LV store, the staff will want to assist you and they will want to sell you something. It is their jobs to try and sell you something, even if you say you are browsing. I browse online to get an idea of prices, availability... I go into a store to buy.

I don't touch anything that's behind the counter. The store I go to is always packed with people (mostly Japanese tourists) and so there are no SA's available immediately. But, when one is available, she/he always assist me so I'd rather wait for one to become available than to go around picking up things. I may look at something on display but I don't touch.