Prong Damage - Options and Opinions Needed

etk123

Call me Kiki
O.G.
Nov 9, 2010
Hi ladies! So I've had my ering for about a year now and I'm seeing some damage from my wedding band where the little diamonds come in contact with the center prong of my ering. Ugh, I knew this was a definite possibility and I bought a 2mm spacer, but I didn't like how it looked all the time so I didn't wear it that much. Now I have to decide what my next step is.

Optimally I would leave the messed up prongs as is and get a new band that won't cause trouble. It just kills me to spend money on what will essentially be the same thing as I'd still get a plain platinum setting. And they're not cheap!

I'd rather put that money towards a new diamond band and have something to show for it. I have planned on getting a full eternity at some point anyway. I looked at a channel set band and a bezeled band today, both looked really nice with my ering.

But I'm not sure if the damaged prong is actually compromised yet or if it's just beginning to show damage. The prongs themselves are really wide at the bottom so they seem really sturdy. And are they repairable? Or would a whole new head be required? Does it seem like an expensive repair?

My jeweler is kind of far away and I don't like to go without my husband. I'd rather not bother him with this until I know what I'm going to do. He was so wonderful and patient with me through the upgrade process last year, I don't want to bug him about it until I have to.

So what do you all think? Can this setting be saved?

This just occurred to me...even if I repair or replace the current setting, my wedding band could do the same thing to the new one! Do I need a new band either way? :confused1:

Please excuse the general filthiness of my rings! I'm mad at them now so they haven't been getting the royal treatment.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• photo-57.jpg
    photo-57.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 363
  • photo-55.jpg
    photo-55.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 365
  • photo-53.jpg
    photo-53.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 351
Actually if you get a new setting where the head is not integrated in like that, you'll have no problem with your current band. You need something with a bridge type thing, where the peg is on top of the shank, or a cathedral style where there is a metal bar perhaps raising the head above the band. That will keep the prongs above the diamond girdles.

Example:
(click on more images for a side view)
http://leoingwer.com/index.php?page...sk=view&tag=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=32
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/diamond-faceted-crown-platinum-5687p
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/domed-flat-band-platinum-5482p
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...ire/the-valentine-ring-18k-white-gold-5683w18 (comes in plat)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/minnie-sholdt-18k-white-gold-5771w18 (comes in plat)

Even this might work if they make a bridge and raise up the donut:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...assic-tiffany-style-half-round-platinum-5478p
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...pered-tiffany-style-half-round-platinum-5540p

Your only other option is some kind of spacer, either that 2mm or a 1mm option.

Last edited:
Your rings are beautiful!

I am in no way an expert but I bet where it's rubbed on your ering prong is easily fixable. So don't worry too much! I think you might have to get a chanel set or wear your spacer if you don't want to change your ering setting... Do have pics with your set wearing your spacer?

If you don't want to bother your husband until you've figured this out, maybe stop in at a few local jewelry stores and get some different opinions?

Actually if you get a new setting where the head is not integrated in like that, you'll have no problem with your current band. You need something with a bridge type thing, where the peg is on top of the shank, or a cathedral style where there is a metal bar perhaps raising the head above the band. That will keep the prongs above the diamond girdles.

Example:
(click on more images for a side view)
http://leoingwer.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=Copy%20of%20flypage.tpl&product_id=73661&category_id=&id=80184&task=view&tag=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=32

Ame, you are amazing! I know people ask you all the time, but can't remember your response, but are you in the fine jewelry business?

I totally agree with Ame about the setting, totally makes sense. As for the prongs, I know very little about all of this, but it doesn't appear as though it is compromising the prong as the prong is so thick. But, seems as if you will need to make a change. Can you go to a local jeweler just to get an opinion?

I am not, I have my GG but I am not in the biz. I considered it for a while but I mostly just did it because I love diamonds and it's really interesting!

The prong from these pics does not look like it's in any way structurally unsound right now. It looks like it COULD be patched but it WOULD just be redamaged by this band. And really, ANY band next to it will eventually wear it down again, regardless, because of the way those prongs are integrated into the band. Metal on metal would do it too, the diamonds will just do it faster. It just looks like its starting to see etching from the girdles of the diamonds in that band cutting into the platinum. And over time, that will get worse. The prongs are quite thick and sturdy but they will not last forever. There needs to be either a spacer to keep the diamonds off of them or a reset that raises that head. I will say this: you will do some serious damage to the diamonds too if you get a good whack one day. The girdles of that band can shear right off if they're hit at a cleavage point. So keeping the bands apart somehow is a good idea.

I edited my post to add a few more setting ideas. The tiffany style BGD ones would be ok if they were able to raise the donut onto a little bridge maybe so that there was a straight part under the donut a bit.

I am not, I have my GG but I am not in the biz. I considered it for a while but I mostly just did it because I love diamonds and it's really interesting!

The prong from these pics does not look like it's in any way structurally unsound right now. It looks like it COULD be patched but it WOULD just be redamaged by this band. And really, ANY band next to it will eventually wear it down again, regardless, because of the way those prongs are integrated into the band. Metal on metal would do it too, the diamonds will just do it faster. It just looks like its starting to see etching from the girdles of the diamonds in that band cutting into the platinum. And over time, that will get worse. The prongs are quite thick and sturdy but they will not last forever. There needs to be either a spacer to keep the diamonds off of them or a reset that raises that head. I will say this: you will do some serious damage to the diamonds too if you get a good whack one day. The girdles of that band can shear right off if they're hit at a cleavage point. So keeping the bands apart somehow is a good idea.

I edited my post to add a few more setting ideas. The tiffany style BGD ones would be ok if they were able to raise the donut onto a little bridge maybe so that there was a straight part under the donut a bit.

Thank you Ame! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. The Brian Gavin solitaires are so beautiful, if I had to reset I would probably go with one of those. I think I'll order one of the 1mm spacers from etsy that a few girls here have. It seems like the best option right now. Maybe I'll like it better. I actually like my 2mm, but under the diamond band instead of between them.

Your rings are beautiful!

I am in no way an expert but I bet where it's rubbed on your ering prong is easily fixable. So don't worry too much! I think you might have to get a chanel set or wear your spacer if you don't want to change your ering setting... Do have pics with your set wearing your spacer?

If you don't want to bother your husband until you've figured this out, maybe stop in at a few local jewelry stores and get some different opinions?
Thank you! I should try a local jeweler to get a better idea about fixing those prongs.
Ame, you are amazing! I know people ask you all the time, but can't remember your response, but are you in the fine jewelry business?

I totally agree with Ame about the setting, totally makes sense. As for the prongs, I know very little about all of this, but it doesn't appear as though it is compromising the prong as the prong is so thick. But, seems as if you will need to make a change. Can you go to a local jeweler just to get an opinion?
Thanks for chiming in! There's a local guy my mom used to use like 25 years ago, I may run into his shop and have him take a look.

The same thing happened to my old ering. I ordered a 0.8mm spacer from etsy, same seller as kathd. It's so thin that it's almost invisible when stacked. In the future I might upgrade my eternity band to a channel setting. But for now the spacer is just fine.

No need to reset right now at least not based on what I can see in the pics. For now, the spacer would be what I would do. It's the least expensive option, and will serve the purpose for the time being, but you will have to "get over" the appearance for the sake of safety, you do not want to compromise the prongs and risk the strength and end up losing the stone.

The same thing happened to my old ering. I ordered a 0.8mm spacer from etsy, same seller as kathd. It's so thin that it's almost invisible when stacked. In the future I might upgrade my eternity band to a channel setting. But for now the spacer is just fine.

No need to reset right now at least not based on what I can see in the pics. For now, the spacer would be what I would do. It's the least expensive option, and will serve the purpose for the time being, but you will have to "get over" the appearance for the sake of safety, you do not want to compromise the prongs and risk the strength and end up losing the stone.
Sorry to hear, dearheart! Get a thin spacer for the time being, if anything for peace of mind.
Such a lovely set!!!

Kissmark said:
What metal did you get and how did you decide?
ame said:
What metal would be best? I read that platinum may be too soft but junedesigns also has the .8 in palladium. I'd need rhodium plating on white gold at the very least because of allergies.
skyqueen said:
Sorry to hear, dearheart! Get a thin spacer for the time being, if anything for peace of mind.
Such a lovely set!!!

Hi Sky!! Nice to hear from you, I'm shopping spacers right now.

Get Plat. Your rings are all plat right? Get the same metal. If you're wearing it between the two rings it should be fine. You're not going to be wearing it forever, you're eventually going to likely reset one or the other ring, and in theory there won't be a rubbing issue at that point.

Yeah that would make the most sense. I'm gonna go to my jeweler and see what he thinks about the prongs and possibly making me the spacer before I do anything. Thanks for your help!