Proenza Schouler PS1 vs. Mulberry Alexa

Hi :smile:
Sorry for the delay in answering. Regarding softness, I would say they both feel great but they aren't the buttery type you can cuddle. PS1 feels thicker. Moreover, no comparison between Oak and Saddle: The Alexa in oak is plasticky, in a very unflattering hue, not my taste at all, and that is the reason I bought the black one; saddle is amazing, the colour develops into a rich patina like those old teacher's briefcases, and it just feels more real.
Alexa imho looks cheap in comparison, the lining, type of leather, quality, all very 'disposable' and too 'blingy'. Of course, the design is nice and ladylike, perhaps more than PS1's which is more on the unisex side. But to have a bag of that size where you can only put a handful of things defeats the purpose of carrying a bag in the first place. You are better off carrying your stuff on your pockets!
So many girls, many tPF, complained about not being able to carry books or a laptop on their Alexas, and that doesn't seem to be an issue with PS1s. Plus I admire the idea behind the PS1, a bag that isn't seasonal, that won't feature in the runaways shows, and that was only conceived when they found the perfect factory in Italy to have it made. Cookie points for that!!!

Bit of a long post, sorry :smile:

Wow, great post!

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a size of the PS1 for use in university. Should I get large or extra large? I'm not going to be using it for a laptop and textbooks, maybe just a few thin books or files occasionally.

Wow, great post!

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a size of the PS1 for use in university. Should I get large or extra large? I'm not going to be using it for a laptop and textbooks, maybe just a few thin books or files occasionally.

Thank you SOO much for your honest opinion, effort and time to write this up for me. I really appreciate it.

Dear gals,
Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it :smile:

My best advice really would be to try the bags in a store, or buy them from a place that accepts returns, only irl you'll be able to see if you are in love or not :smile:

And for uni, maybe the large will be okay, although, I have just recently graduated from a post- and even though I didn't carry books, I was always carrying loads of notes... had to bring a full backpack or an extra tote just to cope!

All the best,
C ;)

Wow, great post!

Get the large, it is big enough. I can put my daily stuff in plus a book or 2. I find that the extra large can be too big. Plus, PS1 bags has a few compartments, hence there is always room for different items.

Today, i receive my Alexa oak bag. I have a green PS1 as well. The Alexa pales in comparison. The leather is thin and pleathery and for a split second, it actually looks fakey even thought it is the real deal. It is more wrinkly and dry with the sides falling out as if it was used for years even though it is brand new. The interior is lined in thin cotton and has only 2 compartments. I am actually afraid to use it. Thank god i got it at a discounted rate, i would never pay full price for it. It is not worth over $ 1000. On the other hand, the PS1 bag is more unisex looking than the feminine Alexa, you can seriously tell that it is GOOD STUFF. The leather is soft yet superbly robust. It has an overall better texture and looks stronger than the Alexa. This bag feels like luxury in comparison and it is only a few hundred dollars more. I feel like i have been ripped of by Mulberry whenever i look at it. It seems like they were too busy earning their first billion dollar profit and cut corners and allow the quality to slide. I should have use that money towards another PS1 bag.. sorry for the rant.. I just have to caution others about the Alexa.

^ Thanks for the post. I was just debating the same thing. I am extremely glad I found this thread.

Thank you for your detailed comparison and input. Now I know which bag to save up for :smile:

I have an Alexa and don't have a PS1 (yet) but have seen them in person. My biggest regret is that I got swept up in all the online hype and bought the Alexa sight unseen. It is much more floppy than the PS1 and sort of falls open. I like it but don't absolutely love it, as it's not vintage-y looking enough and doesn't have quite the same classic lines. On the other hand, when I saw the PS1, I connected with the bag immediately, something that has not happened to me in a long time. I sort of wish I had just saved my money. :sad:

I have an Alexa and don't have a PS1 (yet) but have seen them in person. My biggest regret is that I got swept up in all the online hype and bought the Alexa sight unseen. It is much more floppy than the PS1 and sort of falls open. I like it but don't absolutely love it, as it's not vintage-y looking enough and doesn't have quite the same classic lines. On the other hand, when I saw the PS1, I connected with the bag immediately, something that has not happened to me in a long time. I sort of wish I had just saved my money. :sad:

hi thanks for this review been deciding which bag to choose,btw if ure getting a ps1 what color would you get?

So glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am also debating on which one to buy. I am looking to use it as a crossbody for when I go out to take pics. I am hoping for a quality bag that can hold a dSLR and a couple of lenses, along with my everyday things. Which one can withstand more weight? TiA!

^Hmm, have a look in the what's in your PS1 thread. I'm pretty sure that the PS1 would win hands down due to the number of compartments but it all comes down to personal choice.

I like the ps1 more. I think the ps1 has a more casual look for your every day needs. I like the Alexa and I think it's about two or three hundred cheaper and has a more simplistic look. With simplistic you can make it more formal I guess but ps1 is a better choice in my opinion. Plus I think the designers are the hottest thing right now

I have both and although I do like the compartments of the PS1 I find myself using the Alexa more because it has a long strap and can easily be used cross body. The PS1 looks silly cross body on a tall person and even looks a bit odd at its regular length and there isn't much adjustment in the strap. Its really frustrating that PS won't sell longer straps as they manufacture them for other models-pouch(ette), extra-large, totes, etc. I have a very expensive purse that sits in the closet. The short strap is a real deal breaker. Looks OK on the shoulder with the knot, but then its really short.....

I have both and seem to gravitate more to my ps1 as the alexa (like many others have said) is extremely floppy. I have to put a small notebook at the bottom of my alexa for it to form the shape that I like.

I love both styles and I do like the longer strap of the alexa but the PS1 wins hands down as far as mobility and look.

I take my large PS1 to class but I also take a tote bag for my books. My PS1 contains my folders, pen pouch and sweater. Tote contains the heavier stuff like the textbook, laptop, water, and food.

I think I'd also have issues with the shorter strap of the PS1 medium, but luckily the Pouch has a much longer strap, so it's pretty much the same length as my mini Alexa strap.

The PS1 leather is definitely better (softer, thicker, generally more gorgeous) than the Alexa Buffalo. But I still love both bags and use them interchangeably. Helps that one is bright pink and one is bright green. :biggrin: