Proenza Schouler PS1 bag

Sharing my black PS1+, which I bought in the fall and used all fall and winter, and my brand new clay PS1, which I just received today.

I’ve loved the PS1 style for a long time, but the old version didn’t work for me and I basically gave up on the brand. They looked nice, but after a season or two, they looked like they’d been through a war, and I really disliked how much they curled up. I was really excited about the PS1+, and it has turned out to be a really fantastic bag for me. It looks great and is really tough—I carried it in inclement weather many times, and it looks almost new. Also, the longer strap is sooooo much better than the short strap on the old PS1.

Now, I’m really excited about the new version of the PS1 too. I doubt that it’s as tough as the PS1+, but it is thicker and more structured than the old version, and I’m really hoping that it holds up well. And again, the long strap is a huge improvement. When I look at them side by side, I have to give the edge on appearance to the PS1, but I quite like having the PS1+ for rainy and snowy days. I also really love the clay color. I hate beige, and always have trouble finding a neutral color I like for spring and summer. Gray was my default for a while, but I think this looks fresher and more modern, particularly with the silver hardware. I adore it!

F8C8D871-807E-48B5-879C-6E13F70AF0EA.jpegE57393F3-56EF-4590-817F-D7189AF8C546.jpeg

Sharing my black PS1+, which I bought in the fall and used all fall and winter, and my brand new clay PS1, which I just received today.

I’ve loved the PS1 style for a long time, but the old version didn’t work for me and I basically gave up on the brand. They looked nice, but after a season or two, they looked like they’d been through a war, and I really disliked how much they curled up. I was really excited about the PS1+, and it has turned out to be a really fantastic bag for me. It looks great and is really tough—I carried it in inclement weather many times, and it looks almost new. Also, the longer strap is sooooo much better than the short strap on the old PS1.

Now, I’m really excited about the new version of the PS1 too. I doubt that it’s as tough as the PS1+, but it is thicker and more structured than the old version, and I’m really hoping that it holds up well. And again, the long strap is a huge improvement. When I look at them side by side, I have to give the edge on appearance to the PS1, but I quite like having the PS1+ for rainy and snowy days. I also really love the clay color. I hate beige, and always have trouble finding a neutral color I like for spring and summer. Gray was my default for a while, but I think this looks fresher and more modern, particularly with the silver hardware. I adore it!

View attachment 4831738View attachment 4831739
Congrats on your new Clay PS1! :tup: Hopefully, it won't curl as much as the old model. But either way, it's a beauty. I'm glad they elongated the strap, too.

Reactions: serenityneow

I have also recently purchased the PS1 Tiny and was hesitating between this Clay color and Chianti Red.
I ended up purchasing the Chianti Red as I have never owned a red bag before. This bag works wonders, it fits so much!!
The new leather is so durable, doesn't get that "wrinkly" feel like the other PS1 bags before. This bag is now my everyday bag and i have been using it constantly for 2 months!
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-09 at 18.11.39.jpeg

I hope you end up loving it as much as me :smile:

I have also recently purchased the PS1 Tiny and was hesitating between this Clay color and Chianti Red.
I ended up purchasing the Chianti Red as I have never owned a red bag before. This bag works wonders, it fits so much!!
The new leather is so durable, doesn't get that "wrinkly" feel like the other PS1 bags before. This bag is now my everyday bag and i have been using it constantly for 2 months!
View attachment 4839977

I hope you end up loving it as much as me :smile:
Congrats on your new red beauty! :smile:

Reactions: vandie14
Hi all, I have been wanting to get the PS1 medium for the longest time and I am seeing one on sale on their website, but my only worry is the metal clasp to open/close bag. I feel like with long term use, the metal clasp may fall off or get loose over time, has anyone had any problems with the clasp? Also, can the bag stay close without having to close with the clasp? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hi all, I have been wanting to get the PS1 medium for the longest time and I am seeing one on sale on their website, but my only worry is the metal clasp to open/close bag. I feel like with long term use, the metal clasp may fall off or get loose over time, has anyone had any problems with the clasp? Also, can the bag stay close without having to close with the clasp? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I have a black ps1 pouch and saddle ps1 medium. They are my most-used bags and I don’t baby them in anyway. I’ve had the pouch since 2016 and the medium since 2018 or so. They both look better with age and I’ve had no issue with the clasps. I know others on here have, but mine are still going strong!

I have a black ps1 pouch and saddle ps1 medium. They are my most-used bags and I don’t baby them in anyway. I’ve had the pouch since 2016 and the medium since 2018 or so. They both look better with age and I’ve had no issue with the clasps. I know others on here have, but mine are still going strong!

Ok, thank you for info.

You said that the new version of the PS1 is thicker and more structured than before. Are they using a thicker leather now, a thicker lining or a combination of both? The shape and dimensions haven't changed from the old version right, so it's just more structured because all the panels are thicker and more rigid?

I wouldn't worry about that. I never had any problem with the clasp getting loose, and mine stayed firmly closed even when I carried a 15-inch laptop and some other stuff in my XL and picked it up by the tophandle. Plus, most people carry their PS1 bags on the shoulder, and that doesn't affect the clasp at all.

The PS1 bags had an issue early on when the metal thing on the flap that the clasp goes through (sorry, don't know what it's called) was glued on. It would fall off on some of the bags. Customers complained and Proenza was quickly added screws. Most of the bags on the preloved market have screws, I think like 95% if not more. If you're buying a new one, those will also have screws. So don't worry about the clasp breaking.

I wouldn't worry about that. I never had any problem with the clasp getting loose, and mine stayed firmly closed even when I carried a 15-inch laptop and some other stuff in my XL and picked it up by the tophandle. Plus, most people carry their PS1 bags on the shoulder, and that doesn't affect the clasp at all.

The PS1 bags had an issue early on when the metal thing on the flap that the clasp goes through (sorry, don't know what it's called) was glued on. It would fall off on some of the bags. Customers complained and Proenza was quickly added screws. Most of the bags on the preloved market have screws, I think like 95% if not more. If you're buying a new one, those will also have screws. So don't worry about the clasp breaking.

Thank you for the info., it was very helpful and I feel better about it.

Reactions: IntheOcean
I had a bad experience with a buyer on ebay. I had listed a beautiful ps1 bag. I had put a protective polish on the hardware because of the warning about easy chipping. The buyer purchased the bag and asked if the hardware had been refinished. I told her no it was just a protective polish. 4 days later the buyer open a case saying doesn't seem authentic. I accepted the return and when i received the bag back.. the buyer had clearly taken a knife or blade to the closure and proceeded to try and cause damage. i'm attaching pictures of the bag i sold and how the buyer ROCKNROLLSTEFF returned it.

Attachments

• 20200815_183532.jpg
    20200815_183532.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210115_140216[1].jpg
    20210115_140216[1].jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 57
I had a bad experience with a buyer on ebay. I had listed a beautiful ps1 bag. I had put a protective polish on the hardware because of the warning about easy chipping. The buyer purchased the bag and asked if the hardware had been refinished. I told her no it was just a protective polish. 4 days later the buyer open a case saying doesn't seem authentic. I accepted the return and when i received the bag back.. the buyer had clearly taken a knife or blade to the closure and proceeded to try and cause damage. i'm attaching pictures of the bag i sold and how the buyer ROCKNROLLSTEFF returned it.
I'm sorry this happened to you. It's awful.

You should repost in the eBay subforum if you need advice on how to proceed. I don't think there's anything you can do, though. eBay tends to side with the buyer most of the time. But you probably should add the buyer's name to the Blocked Bidder List.

ETA: I found your listing. In the title, you said the hardware is gunmetal. In the description, however, you stated it is black. Gunmetal and black are different types of hardware, your PS1 has black, it's an early model. They changed it to gunmetal for black bags later on. Nowhere did it say in the listing that you modified the bag by applying a protective film on the clasp. IMO, things like that should be mentioned, even if you can see it in some of the pictures. I don't see anything wrong with the bag, it's an authentic early PS1. The buyer was wrong to claim it's fake, and shouldn't have damaged the clasp like that, though.

Last edited: