Proenza Schouler Care and Maintenance Thread

I just thought I'd do some maintenance on my 6-weeks old PS wallet, it had gotten some scratches from everyday use. A wallet usually don't need any maintenance though and it's personal preference if you like the more worn look.

I applied a layer of conditioner and it turned out great :biggrin:

Before
attachment.php

After
attachment.php

Amazing results! Do you use the same product on your bags too ?

Question for everyone on caring for their PS:

1) Leather cleaner - Do you use it? When/what instances? How often?
2) Leather conditioner - Do you use it? When/what instances? How often?
3) Rain / Stain Repellent - How often do you use it?

Thanks!

Hope to get more responses for this. As I'm currently looking for the best product for my PS1 Smoke. I'm currently using Garde Rain & Stain Protector. Noticed that my bag still gets colour transfer from my jeans, although the watermarks are no longer an issue. Help!

^^^ Thanks for posting this, Elliespurse. Great to hear that the color becomes even richer with the use of conditioner.

A few days ago, I put a litte Apple Conditioner on my Maize, and it has made it even more supple and rich. Actually, I'm now quite pleased with the combination of Apple and Vectra for conditioning and protection.

Still not the slightest hint of stains or spots anywhere on my bag. :smile:

Riry --- Have you used the same products for your PS Smoke? What was the outcome?

Riry --- Have you used the same products for your PS Smoke? What was the outcome?

I only had the Smoke for a few days and then had to return it because it had some issues. It was the last one in stock, so I'm waiting for the new inventory to come in to get another one.

I don't know if I'll treat Smoke when I get my new one. My Maize has definitely warmed a shade since treating it. Which is fine since I prefer this warmer marigold color to the original one. But for Smoke, I wouldn't want it to get any darker.

Sorry, I don't think I'm much help here. :shrugs:

Hi Everyone
I just purchased my first Proenza Schouler Suede PS1 and I am so paranoid about ruining it, its tabacoo. I work for a denim company and wear jeans everyday and I have already noticed some blue rubbing onto the back of it. I called Proenza in NYC and asked if they recommend anything to treat it with to protect it and they suggested to call a superb leather cleaner called Modern Leathers in nyc. Modern said they would not treat it with anything because it may alter the color of the bag and that this particular suede is different, they suggest to bring it there for cleaning. Please help, I am afraid to use the bag because I may ruin it but I really want to use it. Let me know if anyone has advise on what to do or what to treat it with to protect it?
thankssss

E

Congrats on your tobacco PS1!! I know some use this Gardé spray and I have just heard good things about it. I'm not sure about spraying over the blue rubbing you already have? Hope you get some more feedback here.

I just ordered a Tobacco suede PS1, so I'm right there with you!

I plan on protecting mine with Meltonian spray. I've used it for several years on suede shoes and boots (which take a lot more wear than my handbags do), and it's performed very well. It was a recommendation from the SA at my favorite shoe store. I have used it on some of my lighter-colored leather handbags, and it has successfully prevent color transfer (even jeans!).

The spray temporarily darkens up the suede, but after an hour or so the suede will revert back to its original shade. You may still want to test it out on some of the "hidden" suede, like the inner pocket.

oh my gosh, thank you all so much for responding and helping. I was so scared to spray any protectant on it because I was afraid of damaging the bag, although spraying nothing on it was damaging it! But now I will, thanks so much!!!
:biggrin:

I've gone through most of the pages, and I'm seeing a myriad of different product reviews and recommendations. I've never used any form of spray or protectant before, so I'm fairy inexperienced when it comes to caring for the leather itself. I'm expecting my new midnight medium sometime...next week, maybe, and I want to be prepared before her arrival. What would be your recommendation as to what I should use/spray to protect the leather, and how often should I spray her? What does it do for my bag? I'm sure most of these questions were answered before, but I just wanted to verify!

I've gone through most of the pages, and I'm seeing a myriad of different product reviews and recommendations. I've never used any form of spray or protectant before, so I'm fairy inexperienced when it comes to caring for the leather itself. I'm expecting my new midnight medium sometime...next week, maybe, and I want to be prepared before her arrival. What would be your recommendation as to what I should use/spray to protect the leather, and how often should I spray her? What does it do for my bag? I'm sure most of these questions were answered before, but I just wanted to verify!

Hi angerine, it's hard to give details about specific brands because which you can get depends on where you live. I use the brand Woly, but other people on here use Vectra (which I had never heard of and haven't seen in the UK). My experience over the years with different brands is that they're all pretty similar, they will all offer protection, some more than others. With the different brands I have used, none have ever changed the colour/feel of the bag or left a smell. So if I were you I would see if you can get Vectra or Woly, as they seem to offer the best protection, and if not then just go into a shoe shop and ask about it and I'm sure they can recommend one.

Personally I think it's important to spray all bags, there are a couple of PS1s in the 'Authenticate This' thread recently that show why, they are badly water damaged and in my opinion ruined by something that is preventable. Of course midnight is darker so not as likely to be damaged, but I still sprayed my midnight in case. It's not always water than can spill on it and other things can also stain. I have been caught in the rain with it and don't see any dark marks.

I would spray it every few months to be safe.

Congrats on your midnight by the way, you will love it!

Would you ladies recommend using the LMB's For Handles Only (for Bbags)? I wanted to use it for my Birch Keep All, but I'd like your thoughts. Has anyone used it for their light colored PS1s?

TIA!