Procedures addressing a recessed maxilla?

sourpicklez

May 15, 2020
I am currently considering procedures to address my recessed maxilla and long midface. I've thought about double jaw surgery because I also want to get a jaw reduction but I know that double jaw is very invasive. Are there other less invasive procedures like implants that would help this issue?

Other procedures I am considering are a lip lift, rhinoplasty, square jaw reduction, and vline surgery. My midface seems quite long because of a recessed maxilla and long philtrum. I also have a large jaw that is round from facial fat.

I haven't consulted any clinics yet but I just want to get a general idea of what to ask for. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5394.JPG
    IMG_5394.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Your face doesn't seem long at all. Did you consult with plastic surgeons about your concerns?
I think just because my midface is flat that it can tend to look longer than it is? I have only talked to plastic surgeons here in the US and they're mostly just recommending filler. I don't mind that idea but I was just looking for more permanent options.

I think your face looks pretty, but if you're talking about paranasal implants, I'd highly recommend not getting them. Too many issues with those particular implants.
Thank you! Do you know if paranasal implants are the same as malar/submalar implants? On realself, I've seen doctors suggesting them for the midface. Would you happen to know of other procedures? Or is it pretty much just cheek implant, fat graft, or filler?

Reactions: eanez2607
Thank you! Do you know if paranasal implants are the same as malar/submalar implants? On realself, I've seen doctors suggesting them for the midface. Would you happen to know of other procedures? Or is it pretty much just cheek implant, fat graft, or filler?
Malar bones are cheekbones... so if you're talking about cheek implants then that would be different than paranasal/nasolabial implants which sit under part of the nasolabial area. (...Unless some doctors are using the terms interchangeably or something.)

Any (nonsolid) substance injected into your paranasal area is likely to migrate around your face given that there's a lot of movement around the mouth. And, of course, you'll have to keep getting the injections done since results aren't permanent. There's also evidence that dermal fillers don't fully dissolve over time which could be less than ideal if it's migrating around. Fortunately some dermal fillers can be dissolved by injecting enzymes into the affected area.

Edit: Procedures for which area?

Last edited:
Malar bones are cheekbones... so if you're talking about cheek implants then that would be different than paranasal/nasolabial implants which sit under part of the nasolabial area. (...Unless some doctors are using the terms interchangeably or something.)

Any (nonsolid) substance injected into your paranasal area is likely to migrate around your face given that there's a lot of movement around the mouth. And, of course, you'll have to keep getting the injections done since results aren't permanent. There's also evidence that dermal fillers don't fully dissolve over time which could be less than ideal if it's migrating around. Fortunately some dermal fillers can be dissolved by injecting enzymes into the affected area.

Edit: Procedures for which area?
Sorry! To specify, I was asking about procedures to correct a flat midface! It seems like when I look for procedures in the US, I see mostly filler and malar/submalar implants and when I look in SK, it's mostly paransal implants or fat grafting. (I honestly can't really visually see the difference between paranasal and malar implants.) Just wondering if these are my only options.

Edit: To clarify further, I'm talking specifically about the apples of my cheeks and how to make them more full!

Last edited:
Reactions: kmyu
Hi! I also have quite prolonged middle face and was also advised at several hospitals two-jaw. At regen they gave an option, they said my middleface isn’t that long and asymmetric, so if I don’t really want a “big” kinda surgery, I can get zygoma reduction with v-line and that would give me a good enough result. They sent me few similar to my face pics and results looked really good. So, now I’m considering their Dr.Oh and hope to go to Seoul very soon. I want to meet him in person at least once, then I’ll decide. Good luck!

Dr. Oh is the worst surgeon in the world!!!!
He botched my face and did a v line without my consent and moved my jaws far too backward that I now have severe obstructive sleep apnea, a severely narrow airway, and choking episodes
, depression, gum recession , neck swelling, anxiety , he also knocked my tooth out twice
He’s an arrogant person too
He has no aftercare and doesn’t talk to you. He’s ignored me for 4 weeks now or I mean his staff
He is withholding My operative reports that I need to show my new surgeons
Hi! I also have quite prolonged middle face and was also advised at several hospitals two-jaw. At regen they gave an option, they said my middleface isn’t that long and asymmetric, so if I don’t really want a “big” kinda surgery, I can get zygoma reduction with v-line and that would give me a good enough result. They sent me few similar to my face pics and results looked really good. So, now I’m considering their Dr.Oh and hope to go to Seoul very soon. I want to meet him in person at least once, then I’ll decide. Good luck!