Problems with my "So Kate" heels

mcb100

O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
So I recently bought the So Kate 120mm patent nude shoes because they are just gorgeous. But I'm having a very hard being even the slightest bit comfortable in them and I don't walk that well in them. The problem that I'm having is not so much the heel height but the toe box, I get a lot of pain in my toes from wearing them. (Now keep in mind, I hardly ever wear pointy toed shoes.) I have to walk kind of like clompy-ish, which is not attractive and funny to the people who walk behind and on the sides of me. The thought occurred to me that because they are brand new shoes, then maybe they just need to broken in more. (I did buy a half size up because of the patent like my SA recommended, and I do actually believe that they fit well.)

For those of you that know me, I am an older student in college who also works FT. So anyways, I had the bright idea to wear my So Kate's to trek around the college campus today going from class to class thinking that the more hours that I wear them for, then the more they will be broken in--it was tedious. Some stranger walked up to me, gave me the side eye and said, "You look so uncomfortable." When I stand up straight and lean back in the shoes (more towards the back of the heel part) then I am fine--but as soon as my toes hit the ground it is very painful. These shoes kill my toes. Was wondering if I was the only one who felt that way? I really wanted to be that girl who would wear her beautiful looking So Kate's in jeans and a tee shirt on a casual day but I'm afraid that because they hurt so bad they might become an "out to dinner only" shoe. And it's sad because they look so pretty against my jeans.

I don't think they need to be stretched--the fit is well--they just absolutely kill my toes to the point where I'm clomping around. Do you guys think i need more practice, or that I need to wear them more? I hope that the So Kate doesn't become my "out to dinner only shoe" (when I saw it in the store I had planned on wearing it with jeans a lot), and I hope that maybe I am just more suitable to open toed Louboutins, or Louboutins with rounder toes. If I ever want a pointy toe from Christian Louboutin I am thinking that maybe a pigalle would be easier for me to walk in, but I don't think that I will buy the So Kate's again which is a shame because they are gorgeous.

All this does worry me because I might be purchasing soon a pair of Christian Louboutins that are 150mm but the toe is not pointy, and the shoe has a good platform so for some reason I think that that will be easier for me to walk around in.

Any insight and advice would be appreciated.

That is a tough situation. When you say that your toes are being killed is it the sides? Or the actual numbness of the pressure on the toe/toe box because the heel height and arch are too much? If it is the sides, even though the shoe is the right size for you, getting them stretched can help ease the pinching. If it is the numbness of pressure on the toes, I would say to keep practicing because it will get easier.

That being said, the Pigalle style is a lot more comfortable, imo. Even when they are the same heel height (120mm) the Pigalle has a slightly thicker heel and the toe box is much more comfortable. If you like the thinner heel, you may want to try Pigalle Follies as it a combination of the So Kate and Pigalle styles. I have heard a lot of people who cannot wear the So Kate, so don't feel discouraged as you are not alone!

Thank you when I sit down my feet are fine. When I stand up, the sides of the shoe and toes hurt. I keep trucking along but boy is it embarrassing in public. Do you recommend wearing thick socks with them at home or anything?

Thank you when I sit down my feet are fine. When I stand up, the sides of the shoe and toes hurt. I keep trucking along but boy is it embarrassing in public. Do you recommend wearing thick socks with them at home or anything?

They are patent which are incredibly stiff initially. They will stretch out fairly quickly (it's high quality leather). You should try the vaseline (or leather conditioner) trick, rub it inside the toe-box. Hit it with hair dryer, use your fingers to "roll the toe box" (I do it while watching TV..it's relaxing as heck!). Wear'em to stretch'em out. Repeat. I got my Hot Chick 130 patent to soften up nicely.

If above doesn't work, the narrow-ness of medium-toe could be the problem. Try a short-toe shoe like Pigalle 120 (older pre-2013), not the current style (not as low cut and sleek). Or, a Pigalle Follies 120 (same super thin heel as So Kate) which has short-toe. I like this style, over So Kate

Your feet have to "accommodate" to the new "toe crushing" experience (Stilly quote, she's an uber expert in 120mm/130mm heels)

Below pic of Courtney Stodden in nude So Kate is just BOMB!

Attachments

• Courtney-Stodden-pays-respect-to-her-idol-Marilyn-Monroe--10.jpg
    Courtney-Stodden-pays-respect-to-her-idol-Marilyn-Monroe--10.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 8,215
It may be that you hardly wear pointed shoes and you need to get used to it? You did pick one of the toughest shoes to get into pointed shoes, but I truly feel like you will get used to it. Most people can't wear CL shoes off the bat, especially the higher mm heights and pointed toe styles. It takes practice and a seasoned high heel wearer, imo. Keep them on while watching tv, running around in your house, etc. It'll help! Also, if you're inclined, to get the toe box stretched at a dept store, they usually do it free of cost.

Keep walking in them, this is the recipe i use in such cases, and believe Me, i hâd a lot. If you really like them, don' t think at pain, think at how great you Look. There are very sexy, it worth every blister you have wearing them.

Reactions: stillyfan447
I commend your bravery to wear them out in the wild like that! You take the phrase "Go big or go home" to the fullest. Don't give up on the SK just yet. It sounds like you need to break them in a bit, especially in the toe box. As someone suggested, you can wear them with socks or do the vaseline/hairdryer method to soften them up. I'd also wear them around the house on carpet, so the impact is softer. Once they are more comfortable, I think you can wear them as you envisioned them not just as out to dinner shoes.
Also, I don't think you'll have as much trouble in the 150mm platform style you are thinking of getting. Good luck.

Reactions: mari_merry
The pointy toe style will take some getting used to especially if you don't wear this style much before, look at your feet when you take them off are your toes scrunched up ? If so in time your toes will start going more pointed shape and when they do your feet won't hurt in pointy high heels much at all, don't give up just get your toes used to the lovely style of Louboutin.

Thank you all. I have been able to walk in them better with some practice, although I highly doubt these will ever be a partying or dancing-all-night type of shoe. I've attached two photos of the bottoms of the heels. Does this mean that I need new heel taps, and if so, where do I buy the heel taps from? It's weird, because I've only worn them a few times and already the heel taps look destroyed. Maybe I am just very heavy footed? Also, kind of weird because I bought them brand new from Neiman Marcus in-person, and I never received an extra pair of heel taps in the box or anything.

Attachments

• heel tap1.jpg
    heel tap1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 7,413
  • heel tap2.jpg
    heel tap2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 7,379
Thank you all. I have been able to walk in them better with some practice, although I highly doubt these will ever be a partying or dancing-all-night type of shoe. I've attached two photos of the bottoms of the heels. Does this mean that I need new heel taps, and if so, where do I buy the heel taps from? It's weird, because I've only worn them a few times and already the heel taps look destroyed. Maybe I am just very heavy footed? Also, kind of weird because I bought them brand new from Neiman Marcus in-person, and I never received an extra pair of heel taps in the box or anything.

Yes once the metal is showing through you should get new heel taps. With the thin heel on the So Kates, the taps usually don't last that long.
You can either bring them to a cobbler to have the taps replaced or you can even buy the heel taps on eBay and put them on yourself.

Reactions: LKBennettlover
Also something to note (when getting the heel taps replaced) I recommend the more "rubbery" ones (which have a bit of an 'eraser' feel) over "hard plastic". The more rubbery heel taps last longer and have a better grip.

If you shop around different cobblers, have them show you the heel taps they use, and you'll be able to see a difference and make a more informed choice. HTH... :smile:

The SK heels have a tiny, tiny heel tap so they can wear a lot quicker than others. That being said, that looks like a lot of wear for only wearing them a few times! May be because you are wearing them mostly on rough (concrete?) surfaces? Or perhaps dragging your heel when walking. In any case, they usually have an extra pair of heel taps in the box but sometimes in retail stores they put them in other boxes when customers try them on and they get lost in the process. [In one case I got a pair of black taps when my shoes were nude because of switch ups and such].

Otherwise, you can easily get them fixed at the cobbler at a low cost. I would also recommend getting the rubber soles also to preserve the shoe and make it more comfortable for you to walk in!

The SK heels have a tiny, tiny heel tap so they can wear a lot quicker than others. That being said, that looks like a lot of wear for only wearing them a few times! May be because you are wearing them mostly on rough (concrete?) surfaces? Or perhaps dragging your heel when walking. In any case, they usually have an extra pair of heel taps in the box but sometimes in retail stores they put them in other boxes when customers try them on and they get lost in the process. [In one case I got a pair of black taps when my shoes were nude because of switch ups and such].

Otherwise, you can easily get them fixed at the cobbler at a low cost. I would also recommend getting the rubber soles also to preserve the shoe and make it more comfortable for you to walk in!

Yes, it could be concrete or maybe gravel that would tear through a heel tip like that in a short time. I know some of mine need replacing regularly. As you say the surface is tiny so they wear pretty fast.