Problem with a buyer, need advice, please!!

Coach10619

Obsessed
May 20, 2008
Hi Everyone!!
Once again, I am in need of some advice from you wonderful ladies!!

Well, A long time ago, I sold on ebay just as on the side thing for extra cash. I stopped selling on there about 6 to 8 months ago I gave it up. Well, after my husband getting laid off last month, I decided to pick the ebay thing back up for some extra money. Well, I no longer have the email address that I used back when I used ebay before and I can't for the life of me, remember my password or anything so, I ended up having to make a new account. So, now, I have this new ebay account. I have only sold 2 items so far, I sold a Dooney & Bourke Vintage handbag that I have had forever and I sold a Vintage Coach bag that I had picked up from a local consignment store, I picked it up specifically to sell it. I don't want to sell any of my high end items yet because I want to build up some feedback before I start selling anything major.
Well, last night, I got an email from the buyer of the Coach bag that I got from the consignment store saying that she got the package and that it smells of smoke and the bag looks dingy ( it is just a cream colored canvas material Coach bag with leather trim ) Then, she says, that she was going to just leave negative feedback but, she thought she'd give me a chance to refund her money before she leaves me negitive feedback.
Well, here is my problem....
In my listing, I said that "I don't smell smoke on the bag but, I will NOT guarantee that the bag don't smell like smoke because, I am not the original owner and it may have come from a smokers home. "
Also, in my listing, I said that the bag is a "vintage bag and that it will not look like a new bag so, if you are looking for a new bag, please don't bid."
Now, I did say that the bag is in "great condition and is a very clean bag" ( to me, that bag was in awesome shape for being a vintage bag )
Then, at the end I put...
"This is a Vintage bag it does not look, smell, or feel like a new bag. Please ask any questions or concerns you may have before bidding because I do not accept returns, All sales are final, items are sold as is/as described.
If you would like more pictures, please contact me, I would be more than happy to take more detailed pictures. "
In my listing, I included pictures of the outside of the bag, the inside of the bag, the creed, etc. So, I included more than enough pictures that showed every aspect of this bag.

Well, I responded to the buyer last night. I told her that I am very sorry that she is unhappy with her purchase but, I would like to point out that I did state in the listing that I would not guarantee that the bag didn't smell like smoke and that if I were her, I wouldn't have bid on it if the smell of smoke was that big of a problem. She bid on this bag knowing that there was a possibility that it smelled like smoke. Now, I guess by Dingy, she thinks that the bag is Dirty, I don't know, but, I told her that In my opinion the bag was in great shape and very clean for being a vintage bag.
Now, reguardless of how I feel about the situation I told her that I will refund her money minus the cost of shipping when I get the bag back in it's original condition. I told her to please add a delivery confirmation number when she ships it back. I also told her that I really didn't appriciate her threatening neg. feedback and that I could report it since it is against ebays policies to threaten neg. feedback to get a seller to refund your money.
and, this is the message I get back from her...

Hello, it wasn't only the smoke (which you said you couldn't smell) but my 4 yr. old daughter said eeewww yuck when she smelled it...it was dirty and had blue all over it from rubbing against someones clothing which you didn't call out in your description. I wasn't using negative feedback as a threat..I always ask my customers to contact me first before leaving any negative feedback to see if we can resolve any unhappy situation first as my feedback is very important to me. So...if you feel like you should report me that's fine...I have the same rights. I know that you are new but I think you have a few things to learn about customer service. I will keep the dirty purse and have it dry cleaned if I can...I can' see eating the cost of shipping. Have a nice day.

So, now, she is saying that there are blue marks all over the bag, I guess she is seeing something that I didn't Blue marks all over a bag would be kind of hard for me to overlook. The interior lining is blue and the outside is cream canvas, maybe the color of the interior is showing thru the canvas, I don't know but, I do know that blue marks all over the purse would have been very hard for me to overlook. I inspected this bag over and over again, I even inspected it under flourecent lights just to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Now she is saying she will just keep the bag? Why would you keep a bag that you are not happy with just because you don't want to eat a $6 shipping fee?? That don't sound right to me. Maybe she is trying to get me to refund the money without her having to send the bag back or something, I don't know.

I do know from past experiences that there are a lot of people out there that will try to take advantage of new sellers, maybe she thinks I am just a new seller that will bow down to her every command or something.

So, what do you ladies think I should do or say to her next?

Thank you gals very much and sorry for such a long post.

To me, it sounds like she was trying to score a better deal out from the bag.

Blue marks seem very hard to miss, especially if you inspected it that closely and under florescent lights.

And it sounds like you were very thorough in your description of the bag not being new, and not knowing exactly where it came from.

If it were me, and since she's already said she's going to keep the bag, I would:
1. save all e-mail communication with her just in case
2. just not respond to her e-mail because she said she's going to keep it

I'm sure the other ladies will have better advice, but save all the emails, just in case.

Another funny thing is she would rather spend more to dry clean the bag, then losing $12 "round trip" shipping. So afterall the bag isn't so bad so needs to get rid of fast.

Thanks everyone who responded!! I have saved & printed out all the emails ( you never know with computers, it's better to always have a hard copy but, now that she has decided to keep the purse, can she still leave negative feedback? I really don't need any neg. feedback right now since I am a new seller, I guess that is why people prey on people with new accounts, they think that people are so worried about neg. feedback that they will just issue a refund and let the buyer keep the bag which, I'm sure there are a lot of unexperienced sellers out there that would give a refund just to get positive feedback but, this woman picked the wrong "new seller"..lol.
Thanks again everyone for your wonderful advice as always :urock:

Hi, sorry this happened. You got some sound advice above. I would leave it as if you get the bag back refund, if not she can go away. She did threaten feedback so she can sing her rights somewhere else. She is taking advantage of the fact that you are new. Good luck.

My opinion is, don't fret over this. This buyer sounds like a remorseful buyer, IMO. I think according to your description that you were very thorough. Because her 3 year old said "ewwwww..." it's a bad bag? Uhhh, hello!!!!

Also, don't let her threat of leaving you negative feedback be an issue. If anything, it's an advantage that you're "new" on eBay right now—if she leaves you a negative, just open another account. You only have a FB score of 2, right? Move on and start over if you have to. This person sounds like a jerk!

Ditto that!!

My opinion is, don't fret over this. This buyer sounds like a remorseful buyer, IMO. I think according to your description that you were very thorough. Because her 3 year old said "ewwwww..." it's a bad bag? Uhhh, hello!!!!

Also, don't let her threat of leaving you negative feedback be an issue. If anything, it's an advantage that you're "new" on eBay right now—if she leaves you a negative, just open another account. You only have a FB score of 2, right? Move on and start over if you have to. This person sounds like a jerk!

Another common scam is to own a defective bag, buy the same bag on eBay, then send the defective bag back for a refund.

Stop communicating with her. If she sends it back issue a refund. If she leaves negative feedback, open a new account.

In the future, find a way to combine all of you disclaimers in one short, covers-all, paragraph. I know we often feel we need to cover all of our bases, but when it gets so wordy that people won't read it, then the disclaimers become meaningless to buyers and these types of problems occur. Then again, there are bad buyers and sometimes it doesn't matter what we say or how we say it.

Another funny thing is she would rather spend more to dry clean the bag, then losing $12 "round trip" shipping. So afterall the bag isn't so bad so needs to get rid of fast.

yeah my thoughts exactly, these buyers are to clever by half, i think you have handled it very well, cant bear this ng f/b stuff good luck alfie x

I don't have any fb yet. I have only sold 2 items since I started selling again and the bag I am talking about in this thread was one of them and the other was a Dooney and the girl who bought the Dooney hasn't left fb yet. So, I don't have any fb.

that is a very good idea, I think I will probably just make a new account and start over if this lady leaves a neg.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice everyone!! I am really happy to have found this forum. Last time I sold on ebay, I didn't have anyone to talk to about my problems with ebay or paypal so, it is really nice to be able to talk to and get advice from people who have experience with both companies. Thanks again everyone!!