Problem solve with me: no closure handbags

I have bags I've reserved specifically for bad weather. They're nylon with zip closures. I own very few open-top bags; I prefer a little (a lot) more security than they offer.
This. When I was taking the bus during a particular nasty winter a few years ago, I gave up worrying about what handbag I was carrying and just found a zip-top nylon crossbody that worked very very well. Sometimes, you just have to be practical instead of ... well, fashionable. :smash:

Caught in the rain I try to close the top with my arm. I always feel so miserable doing that, that the bag is now only used in the middle of a draught and after checking the weatherforcast.

I'm quite carefree and on the move a lot so I'll just save myself the hassle. I don't want to end up in a downpour and be scared that my belongings will be drenched. Lesson learned.

Reactions: Joule and RT1
Forgot to say, I do stick a nylon collapsible lightweight shoulder bag inside my H bag in case im tired of carrying hand held or need to protect it from inclement weather. the nylon bag also doubles as a shopping bag.
OMG that is a great idea! I’ve been in love with the Pouch for a bit now but there are times when I am tired of carrying it ...

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and 880
If I know it's going to rain, I wear a bag that has a flap or a waterproof zipper. If I get caught in rain as a wonderful surprise life sometimes throws, I hope I have an umbrella with me and do my best to make sure the top of the bag stays as closed as it can. If I have my H Evelyn'esque Decadent Kylie with me, she's so slim I can fit her under my coat.

• Love
Reactions: RT1, 880 and etudes
I cannot wear open bags in bad weather. Even if it's just a drizzle. I've tried, it's just not worth the worrying, even if I have an umbrella. Granted, I'm not a fan of open bags in general, so I only have one (Prada Saffiano Double Zip Tote). But I would always opt for a bag with a closure up top if the forecast says it's going to rain or snow.

Reactions: RT1
How do you carry these in wetter conditions? Do you avoid and stick to other styles? Do you shove a scarf down in there to protect your belongings? Do you say f*ck it and just go? Let me know!
F*ck it say I. :lol: But I do drive, not bus, so my walking in the rain is fairly minimal and I use an umbrella. If caught out I just clamp an arm over it and scurry. It rains a lot in Vancouver so you kind of learn to ignore it.

1. Zipped pouch inside (Evie - there is a strap across but it's still pretty open)

2. Place the dust-bag that the bag comes with inside the bag when in use and use the drawstring (if it has one) (H Double Sens)

3. Totes with short handles should close by themselves carrying in the hand (H Birkin, Garden party, Gucci Nice tote - the latter 2 have poppers too but closed make them smaller bags)

Reactions: A bottle of Red