Problem figuring proper fit for new pumps -- Do you agree with these 2 fit tips?

violinistgirl

Sep 24, 2007
San Francisco
Hi Ladies,
I seem to have a talent for consistently buying the wrong size, so I wanted to ask for your sizing help please?

Briefly, the size 8.0 pumps fit snugly and barely rub against the back of my heel when I walk. For the size 8.5s, I can fit my entire pinky finger into the shoe. I'm tempted to keep the 8.0s because of the potential stretch out factor, but would hate to cut up my feet with too-small shoes. Also, I read these fit tips (pasted below), which make me think I need the 8.5.

Do you have any advice? These are Cole Haan pumps, btw (Their product sizing advice is to go up 1/2 a size, which would mean I need the 8.5, but they just seem... big)

Thanks for your help!

From Foot Petals' website:
Rule #1 - You should be able to slip your pinky between the shoe and your foot when you are sitting at the back of the heel.
Rule #2 - You should also be able to slip your pinky in between your foot and the top of the shoe, just behind the toes.
If you cannot do these two things, then your new shoes will eventually cause too much pressure that could hurt, cut off circulation and possibly lead to blisters!

randr21

in the untamed rabbit hole
O.G.
May 25, 2006
NYC
I disagree with footpetal's website. an entire pinky is a lot...none of my shoes fit like that. they fit more like how you described your size 8's.

however, if you try the size 8's around your home for a few hours, on carpet of course, and it doesn't hurt, i'd say stay with the 8's.

kdo

Let's Go Caps!
Nov 1, 2008
Cole Haan runs narrow so that why you don't have the spacing you mentioned but if you go to 8.5 they'll be a bit long. I'd say stick with the 8 and get the shoes stretched.

juneping

couch potato-ing
O.G.
Jun 11, 2007
NYC
i don't think the rules were right at all.
are they round toe or pointy toe? if they are round toe, and your toes aren't "crooked" inside..then get the 8.

violinistgirl

Sep 24, 2007
San Francisco
Thank you so much for your helpful advice, all.

I'll keep the size 8.0s, especially since they're round-toe pumps. I wonder if foot petals gave that weird fit advice so that you could use their inserts.