Problem buyer

Lncj

Mar 3, 2012
Hi,
I am just looking for some advice. I have sold a Louis Vuitton wallet on eBay, listed as used and buyer is claiming it is stretched out and would like to return it. I don't believe my wallet was at all stretched beyond normal use and in very good condition. I have declined a return on this basis.

My concern is that if the buyer opens a case and eBay sides with the buyer they will be refunded and I would be liable to pay back the amount for the wallet. Where does this leave me in terms of getting back the wallet in the same condition as it was sent? Or even the same wallet I sent out. How does my seller protection cover me in this instance? As far as I am concerned my item was honestly and accurately described.
Thanks

love4mom

O.G.
Aug 9, 2010
New Jersey
Hi,
I am just looking for some advice. I have sold a Louis Vuitton wallet on eBay, listed as used and buyer is claiming it is stretched out and would like to return it. I don't believe my wallet was at all stretched beyond normal use and in very good condition. I have declined a return on this basis.

My concern is that if the buyer opens a case and eBay sides with the buyer they will be refunded and I would be liable to pay back the amount for the wallet. Where does this leave me in terms of getting back the wallet in the same condition as it was sent? Or even the same wallet I sent out. How does my seller protection cover me in this instance? As far as I am concerned my item was honestly and accurately described.
Thanks
It is very strong possibility that Ebay/Paypal will side with the buyer. If the buyer opens the case, do not escalate it yourself. Let the buyer do it. If you choose to accept a return, make sure you click on the option that states refund upon return, so the buyer will have to return the item before you issue a refund.
There is no way for Ebay/Paypal to know what exactly you sent vs. what the buyer returns.
If it was me, I would just ask the buyer to return it for a refund. That way you get it back faster, relist and resell. Also, the buyer cal always neg you. Not sure if it is worth the negative.

Lncj

Mar 3, 2012
She is yet to open the case as yet so fingers crossed it may not even go that far. So if she does you would say the best thing to do would be to accept her return and then refund once its recieved? If this does happen do I have to pay back the postage too? Or just the cost of the item itself?

Also if I do fight my case and still lose will ebay/ PayPal just refund her and then claim the money back from me or will they order me to refund her myself? My worry about losing the case is that they will refund her without my wallet actually being recieved back to me. Can that happen?

Sorry for the million questions I'm just no expert at eBay!
Thanks again.

love4mom

O.G.
Aug 9, 2010
New Jersey
She is yet to open the case as yet so fingers crossed it may not even go that far. So if she does you would say the best thing to do would be to accept her return and then refund once its recieved? If this does happen do I have to pay back the postage too? Or just the cost of the item itself?

Also if I do fight my case and still lose will ebay/ PayPal just refund her and then claim the money back from me or will they order me to refund her myself? My worry about losing the case is that they will refund her without my wallet actually being recieved back to me. Can that happen?

Sorry for the million questions I'm just no expert at eBay!
Thanks again.
Paypal/Ebay will only refund her without her having to return the item, IF you click on Refund and not on Return for Refund. If you click on Return for Refund, she will have to send it back to you with the tracking number/signature confirmation, depending on the amount within 10 days. Generally, return shipping is buyer's responsibility. Ebay may sometimes send the buyer a courtesy shipping label. Once the item is delivered to you, you have 3 days to issue a refund. So, if you do get it in a condition that is not the condition you sent it or get a different item all together, call Ebay.

Lncj

Mar 3, 2012
Thank you so much for clarifying that I really appreciate your advice. Buyer still hasn't even opened the case but if so I will be sure to click the return for refund. I have no idea what wil happen if she send it back damaged or a different one.

This is so obviously a case where she just wants to return it and as I have my listings set to no returns she's trying to claim it is not described which from my point of view is untrue. Such a shame ebay will usually side with the buyers even in cases like this.

Lncj

Mar 3, 2012
Ok so she has opened a claim with PayPal not eBay, where does that leave me? What do I do now?
Thanks

Apr 15, 2007
Ok so she has opened a claim with PayPal not eBay, where does that leave me? What do I do now?
Thanks
At this point, just ask your buyer to return the item & upon return of the item
you will issue a refund.

Return shipping is on her...

Power

Mar 23, 2012
Vancouver, BC
She still has to send it back to you.

It is her responsibility for return shipping and she has to include delivery confirmation for the item. If she doesn't include DC then she's basically shooting herself in the foot.

Lncj

Mar 3, 2012
Ok that's what I have done, awaiting her reply now. Really worried she will have damaged it or something as the problem she is describing wasn't there before I posted it, what would I do in this instance? Would PayPal still side with her?

I have also said I will only refund cost of the wallet and not the postage.

uadjit

D.Va
Jul 21, 2011
Somewhere that's green
If Paypal sides with her they will refund the whole original charge (including postage). If it turns out she has pulled a switch or damaged the wallet you will still probably lose and have to appeal but it isn't completely hopeless.

Lncj

Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for all of your input. She is returning it today and have agreed that when I receive it back I will then refund her but not the postage.
Fingers crossed she has not damaged it or swapped it. Will keep you all posted.