Priority Mail Virtually Useless

This is the second package I have shipped within my state priority mail this month that has taken a long time to arrive Last week it took 7 days for a package sent about 400 miles away.This week a package sent about 500 miles away has not arrived after 3 days.They do not guarantee delivery time but its getting silly because people start thinking you never sent the package when you said you would.Both packages were small and going from large city to another large city Frustrating

Mine almost always arrive within 2-3 days. I take them to the PO myself as well. I hate how long it takes for UPS to arrive and they are not very user friendly, IMO.

I've had things arrive within the 2-3 day limit (not including Sundays) but what I'm peeved about is the lack of updated tracking!!

I sent an item to a family member last week with DC that still shows "electronic shipping notice received" - as if it hasn't even been sent! I had to call to make sure it got there okay and thankfully it did. I can't imagine the if that were an e*bay item and I had no "proof" it was delivered!

I've had things arrive within the 2-3 day limit (not including Sundays) but what I'm peeved about is the lack of updated tracking!!

I sent an item to a family member last week with DC that still shows "electronic shipping notice received" - as if it hasn't even been sent! I had to call to make sure it got there okay and thankfully it did. I can't imagine the if that were an e*bay item and I had no "proof" it was delivered!

Yeah, their online tracking sucks. It usually isn't updated.

Yeah, their online tracking sucks. It usually isn't updated.

Are you talking about delivery confirmation? Delivery Confirmation isn't 'tracking' in the sense you might find with UPS where it's tracked every step of the way. Delivery Confirmation is just that - a confirmation of delivery. They often don't update at all until they are delivered.

Linda

Are you talking about delivery confirmation? Delivery Confirmation isn't 'tracking' in the sense you might find with UPS where it's tracked every step of the way. Delivery Confirmation is just that - a confirmation of delivery. They often don't update at all until they are delivered.

Linda

I meant "Delivelry Confirmation"--I used the wrong terminology. Sometimes USPS does show tracking. I shipped recently and was able to see the status along the way on that particular package. But then sometimes it hasn't even shown when a package the delivered. I have one shipment that never showed as delivered. Thank goodness the buyer confirmed with me that they received it. Otherwise it would have been a hassle to prove it. It is very inconsistant.

Delivered, August 10, 2009, 3:04 pm, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94109

Processed through Sort Facility, August 09, 2009, 10:21 pm, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124

Processed through Sort Facility, August 08, 2009, 6:19 pm, SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383

Acceptance, August 08, 2009, 12:11 pm, VALLEY VILLAGE, CA 91607

Sometimes Priority Mail exceeds my expectations (something was shipped to me in CA from NY on a Saturday and arrived on Monday) but I generally avoid it unless the buyer specifically requests it because I can't track progress. USPS tracking has been known to be off, so I don't trust it.

I meant "Delivery Confirmation"--I used the wrong terminology. Sometimes USPS does show tracking. I shipped recently and was able to see the status along the way on that particular package. But then sometimes it hasn't even shown when a package the delivered. I have one shipment that never showed as delivered. Thank goodness the buyer confirmed with me that they received it. Otherwise it would have been a hassle to prove it. It is very inconsistent.

Delivered, August 10, 2009, 3:04 pm, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94109

Processed through Sort Facility, August 09, 2009, 10:21 pm, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124

Processed through Sort Facility, August 08, 2009, 6:19 pm, SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383

Acceptance, August 08, 2009, 12:11 pm, VALLEY VILLAGE, CA 91607

I'm not sure why they post more updates on some packages than others, I've been told it depends on the route they travel so it can be tracked internally as well. I've worked for the USPS now for 2 years and I've learned a lot about how things run but I'm still learning. :smile:

I do know that USPS is trying to post more updates along the way so there should be a progression to most all packages showing a little more information as to where they are. Still, customers should be aware that although the terminology may be the same - you can 'track' your package on the USPS website, what you have purchased is a confirmation of delivery only, there may be no additional updates all. If they were to track packages like UPS tracks them then I'm sure the cost of the service would go up from the 70 - 80 cents it is now. Right now you can place delivery confirmation on a first class package that only costs $1.50 to ship (for example), total cost with DC would be less than $3.00. It's an inexpensive service meant to provide customers the peace of mind that their package has been delivered, not necessarily to tell them where it is every step of the way. Of course it depends on the carrier to be diligent enough not to miss any scans. Unlike UPS not all of our parcels are scanned, so it's a matter of separating out the ones that have a DC on them from those that don't, sometimes they are missed but believe you me it's not something USPS takes lightly. We get almost daily emails about making sure those scans are done and once when our office missed one (and it was my fault, I was new) the Postmaster had to get on a conference call with her boss and come up with an 'action plan' so no more would be missed. Oh boy!

Not that I have anything against UPS, I don't, well other than their packages are absolutely filthy and they will throw or hang a package anywhere and call it delivered. Normally priority mail arrives faster than UPS does, depending on where it's shipped from. I can understand why some people would prefer one over the other and it's your package so it's just a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

Sorry to go on a little long. :smile:

Linda

Sorry to hear about your Priority Mail delay. I've been really lucky, all Priority and First Class Mail packages I sent out get to the buyers in record time. I don't like UPS much, every single package I received from them were squished.