Priorities of a Purse Forum Wardrobe

I buy things in all price ranges. I buy statement pieces and utility pieces.

For the statement pieces, I pay a lot of attention to quality and design, but that doesn't mean they have to be expensive. They are just carefully chosen. Statement pieces for me can include outerwear, tops, jewelry, scarves, shoes/boots, purses. I only wear one or two statement pieces at a time.

The utility pieces tend to be less expensive, but still good quality and definitely durable, since they will be used more. These include jeans/pants/leggings, tees and tanks, button down blouses, and everything else. (I need neutral purses, jewelry, shoes and outerwear too.)

Before I buy a piece, I make sure that it goes with several items in my wardrobe. I download the pic of the item and put it next to other items I own or am thinking of buying. That's when I really get excited about the item. For example, I am thinking about another trench coat :rolleyes: so I used the PicStitch app to see what it would look like with some of my other stuff:

image.jpg

(Looks like I need to find some more colorful options for the blue coat, hmmmm.... :thinking:)

This is a great thread, love reading about how everyone's wardrobe evolves with time. I am very particular about my clothes and check things like fabric content and provenance before I buy anything. Most of my bags are vintage or classic items, (such as CHANEL ) and I liketo balance that with more up to the minute, cutting edge clothes designs. These tend to cost a little more so I don't buy much.

Same here! It's so important for the longevity of your wardrobe too - things made with better fabrics last longer, and hence, save you money in the long-term.

I'm a shoe girl. I spent majority of my money on them. Love them all, flats, high heels etc. Being only 5'1" I love to wear high heels. I've learn that with shoes you really get what you pay for. And because majority of my wardrobe is classic black and white I go crazy with shoes. Any color any shape... I mostly buy Manolo, Jimmy, Tory Burch, Marc Jacobs, Burberry, Prada
I have few, no Nova Check, Burberry bags, few Coach, Kate Spade and Prada. Don't like big logos
As I mentioned before I wear mostly black and white clothes. and because of that I pay a lot of interest to the quality of the garment. There is a difference between black and cheap black... I buy Ann Taylor, BR, Limited. Sometimes I score High End clothes second hand or during Nordstrom sales. The only clothes I don't mind paying more are coats. I live in Chicago!!!! I spent approximately 6 months in them

I definitely buy quality over quantity.

I won't buy cheap jewelry. I don't buy real gold/silver, but I buy "costume" jewelry from Nordstrom usually, with the occassional from premier designers (Chanel, Versace, etc).

I generally spend up to 200 dollars on shoes, but lately I've been looking at shoes from 400-1200 dollar range to possible buy.

Most of my clothing comes from Nordstrom, Bebe, and sometimes Nastygal and Topshop. I am very selective though because I usually buy things that appear timeless/classic. Those stores usually have clothing that hugs my body in the right places (especially Bebe, but I don't like most of their selection!).

When it comes to handbags, I only pick the expensive! I currently have a Chanel jumbo in black and then some Zara ones and a couple of Bebe (ones that don't have the logo on it though). I like simple things, but with top quality....Which is why that Fendi Peekaboo has been calling my name lately, lol!

I tend to splurge on bags so I prefer to buy my clothes and shoes from less expensive brands. I always pay attention to quality though and I try to buy classic timeless pieces that I'll wear for several years. I love blazers because they can be worn with jeans, pants, skirts and dresses so I have quite a few of them. As far as shoes are concerned, I don't care for them to be high end, I just buy leather shoes that cost me approximately 100 euros/pair. I love middle heel pumps because they're comfortable and stylish as well so I try to buy a few pairs each season in different colors to match my purses and blazers. The most expensive pair of shoes that I own is a pair of Vince Camuto pumps in blue that I bought a couple of years ago for 200 euros but I've only worn them two or three times because they have very high heels.

I prefer a mix of high and low end items throughout my wardrobe. I have some very high end bags (Hermes), midlevel bags (Kate Spade) and cheap bags (Zara on sale, Target) for fun. I tend to buy decent denim but mostly on sale. I have cheaper t-shirts and knock around clothes. My work clothes tend to be higher end. I had to push myself to spend $$$ on dull items like good basic pants, blazers, etc., but it has been worth it. My passion, though, is statement pieces. Shirts/blouses, skirts, dresses. The vast majority of my high-end items are purchased on sale (Nordstroms and Nordstrom Rack, The Outnet, Gilt). The fabric quality, the design, the fit, the longevity are all worth it. I feel the same about shoes - I have a few bargain pairs (including some Prabal Garung for Target diffusion line pumps that ALWAYS get compliments) but they tend to be so uncomfortable that I hate wearing them. My higher end shoes are easier to wear, even the high heels. Though, 4 inches is my limit for any extended use.

My one thing I am not going to splurge on any more is cashmere. I adore cashmere sweaters, and tend to be sensitive to rougher wools, so I have bought a ton over the years. They all pill. All of them. The cheap ones and the expensive ones. I'll buy decent ones but will not pay over $200 for a sweater unless I absolutely love the design (I'm look at you, cable-knit skull McQueen.)

I buy mid-level sunglasses (lose them too much.) Mostly costume jewelry but nice. I don't spend a lot on jewelry, with my wedding rings, a new entry-level Cartier watch which is my only watch, and my Farandole necklace being the nicest things I own. I spend a decent amount on skincare and department level makeup (except some drugstore lipsticks) but I don't wear much makeup so it's not expensive.

I am anti-capsule wardrobe. I have an overstuffed closet, but have usually regretted getting rid of items unless they are old, worn-out, or don't fit. I frequently will have a sudden impulse/need to wear something I haven't worn for years. If you have room and can organize it reasonably, keep the stuff you like!

I'm approaching middle aged, am a professional, and have a good income - so that obviously all factors in.

I would prefer top quality for everything, but alas, I live in an expensive city, alone, and I have to budget (even though I have a good job)
I will not buy cheap (like Sirens or Forever21) unless the item happens to be well made.
I stick to mostly moderate priced clothing (a lot of Aritzia, Zara BCBG Marciano.)
I buy expensive bags (LV, Balenciaga) but not exclusivley ..I also own Marc by Marc Jacobs and MK.
Quality jeans, active wear, boots, and coats are also important to me.I would not buy any of these things from a very cheap store.

I spend my money on bags, shoes, coats and accessories ( in that order). All my bags are high end (mostly Hermes with some LV and a Ferragamo). My shoes are mid /high range (MK, Choo, Louboutin) and my coats are also mid range (Ted Baker, Calvin Klein, Burberry). I have a few pieces of jewelry that I use (Rolex, Cartier, yurman) but my clothes are inexpensive -- LOFT, Zara, GAP, H&M, The Limited,NY&co etc

My closet is stuffed with clothes because I like to mix things up. I don't like to wear the same thing every day and prefer comfort over style. Many designer items simply don't fit my petite frame or are so stiff and uncomfortable that I don't want to wear them. By wearing inexpensive clothes, I can then splurge on the accessories which is what makes an outfit!

I buy high end on the following (in priority order): Bags (Hermes, Dior, Gucci, Prada, Smythson), Jewellery (quality classic fine jewellery pieces), accessories (scarves, gloves from Hermes), shoes, coats, dresses, smart jeans.

Mid-range, jackets, blouse and skirts for work, knits for work and casual days

A lot of my basics come from Uniqlo such as plain cotton T-shirt, Heatech, plain knits, leggings etc.

Fun thread.

I will typically buy these on high end: bags (Hermes, Chanel), outerwear, evening dresses (Oscar, Dior - on sale only since I can't wear these often), and accessories/jewelry. I used to spend top dollar on shoes but i live in a walkable city so after I started ruining all my nice shoes, I hit a turning point. I buy mid-range pumps (J. Crew) now and spend on designer flats (Chanel). i don't buy any of these too frequently; usually one of each a year.

Clothing - Mid range (J. Crew, Massimo Dutti) and only on sale.

Last edited:
Fun thread!

Now, I spend more on classic pieces (known in Fench as 'une pièce' - a timeless garment you use for years) and less on trendy clothes. For example, I got a black dress and a navy coat from Valentino, a black biker jacket from Balenciaga and a Hermès Kelly 28, some LV, Céline and Balenciaga bags.

These I mix with holiday finds, Zara, Hollister, H&M jeans, a lace shirt, whatever. I prefer a more casual look to business clothes when possible.

Great thread.

My clothes are very simple, minimalist, and almost exclusively from the following brands: uniqlo, vince, equipment, everlane. I guess I basically have a capsule wardrobe of sorts bc pretty much everything--and it's not much--is interchangeable. Colors are basically all white, navy, black, and grey. I buy most of my clothes at rock bottom sales prices. Everything in my closet was thoughtfully chosen, gets regular wear, and I really like it.

I spend my money on bags, shoes, coats, and scarves (in that order). I wear the same simple jewelry everyday.

As for nice bags, I have only three and they are heavily used. But each has a purpose.

Large Givenchy pandora: my everyday crossbody/shoulder black bag for errands, out and about with kids, for travel.

Proenza schouler ps11: my small bag that can be worn crossbody or as a clutch. I wear this bag a lot when I'm out without the kids.

Large longchamp pliage: my work bag. It gets heavily used and abused but looks great. But above all, just so functional! Light, water repellant, huge, etc.

I would love a chanel gst in black for my next bag. I feel there is an open tote void in my bag lineup that id love the gst to fill. As the bag is discontinued in the states and also very expensive, I won't be purchasing anytime soon.

I would just like to add that as tiny and simple and neutral as my wardrobe generally is, I get compliments almost daily on my clothes. I am struck by three things about this: 1) accessories are the most important part of an outfit 2) it is so important that one understands their body type and how to dress to flatter it and 3) having clothes that FIT well is the difference between looking frumpy in a white tshirt and jeans and looking put-together in a white tshirt and jeans.

Reactions: ampavlinac
Up until a year ago, my mom would buy me a whole bunch of clothes at Christmas and a few pieces throughout the year because I NEVER went shopping for any on my own. Why? It was depressing cos I was obese, plus I was depressed anyway from being sick, stuck at home all the time and not having a job. I quit wearing makeup, fixing my hair or really doing anything. Life was just blah. It got to the point last fall where I attempted suicide.

Thankfully things are better now. I'm on a diet and have lost 45 pounds (halfway to my goal). I started going back to church, going to the gym five days a week, volunteering twice a week and joined a church-related small group. Now I'm hardly ever home. I wear makeup now, fix my hair and generally care more about my appearance. When I finally reach my goal weight, I plan to have breast reconstruction on one side and reduction surgery on the other ... then I'll be able to revamp my wardrobe!

As it stands now, I'm on a fixed income so when I shop, I gravitate towards accessories and makeup. With those weight doesn't matter! I only have six bags, though -- 1 LV, 1 Chanel, 3 vintage Coach and 1 modern Coach -- and that should be enough to last me the rest of my life. (I'm 47). I'd like to replace my clothes with higher quality items, but I'll have to make sure I can keep the weight off first. Spending a bunch of money on clothes I'd only outgrow would NOT be good.

Last edited: