Votes: 0 0.0%
  • let the lab do the printing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lovely_bag

O.G.
Nov 3, 2008
Hello!

I find it so hard to decide whether I should buy a photo printer (10x15cm, Canon Selphy) or order the prints online.

What would/do you do?
Print at home?
Are you happy with your printer?

Print at the lab? How did you establish a routine that makes you actually send the order to the lab. I almost never order prints, only for Christmas.

Some math:
1 photo, printed at home, using the Selphy costs approx. 35-40 cent.
But: the Selphy limits me to 10x15 cm. I don't want to buy a larger printer due to the planned obsolescence and all the trouble printers usually cause. ;)

1 photo at the lab costs 15-28 cent, depending on the quality. BUT: the lab charges a fee for every order: min. 1 EUR. Which means: I would have to order at least 10 photos, if not the prints become expensive.

I want to use the photos for scrapbooking and photo albums. 10x15 should be OK in 9 out of 10 times.
(What I like about the Selphy is that the ink comes with the right amount of paper. New ink = new paper.
You never end up with paper without ink.)

TYIA!

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer
Hello!

I find it so hard to decide whether I should buy a photo printer (10x15cm, Canon Selphy) or order the prints online.

What would/do you do?
Print at home?
Are you happy with your printer?

Print at the lab? How did you establish a routine that makes you actually send the order to the lab. I almost never order prints, only for Christmas.

Some math:
1 photo, printed at home, using the Selphy costs approx. 35-40 cent.
But: the Selphy limits me to 10x15 cm. I don't want to buy a larger printer due to the planned obsolescence and all the trouble printers usually cause. ;)

1 photo at the lab costs 15-28 cent, depending on the quality. BUT: the lab charges a fee for every order: min. 1 EUR. Which means: I would have to order at least 10 photos, if not the prints become expensive.

I want to use the photos for scrapbooking and photo albums. 10x15 should be OK in 9 out of 10 times.
(What I like about the Selphy is that the ink comes with the right amount of paper. New ink = new paper.
You never end up with paper without ink.)

TYIA!

Hi!

I currently have a Canon Selphy, and before that I had one of those "Epson buckets with a handle" (Don't remember the exact name/model...).

I'm very pleased with the Selphy, it does what it's supposed to do - print good quality pictures in short time - At one occasion I needed it for a bulk job of 100 photographs in a row on very short notice. The Selphy didn't like it, but did it = got pretty warm, needed to cool down between ever 10-20 pictures in a row. But then again, it pushed through and still works like a charm. So from my side, definitely a big thumbs up for the Canon Selphy series.

I use it mainly for pictures for my journal and picture frames or to quickly handout a picture when friends are over. Also great: You have a variety of options to connect/use it. USB, WiFi, AirPrint, Canon Print App .... And best thing: They are soooo small. I have mine sitting inside a desk, I just open the door - place the paper cartridge in and it's ready to go.

I never looked back once since starting to print at home (10x15) - for everything bigger I go to a professional, same for coffee table quality photo books (Couture Book...)

You definitely won't regret getting a Selphy. :smile:

Kind regards,
Oliver

Reactions: lovely_bag
Hi!

I currently have a Canon Selphy, and before that I had one of those "Epson buckets with a handle" (Don't remember the exact name/model...).

I'm very pleased with the Selphy, it does what it's supposed to do - print good quality pictures in short time - At one occasion I needed it for a bulk job of 100 photographs in a row on very short notice. The Selphy didn't like it, but did it = got pretty warm, needed to cool down between ever 10-20 pictures in a row. But then again, it pushed through and still works like a charm. So from my side, definitely a big thumbs up for the Canon Selphy series.

I use it mainly for pictures for my journal and picture frames or to quickly handout a picture when friends are over. Also great: You have a variety of options to connect/use it. USB, WiFi, AirPrint, Canon Print App .... And best thing: They are soooo small. I have mine sitting inside a desk, I just open the door - place the paper cartridge in and it's ready to go.

I never looked back once since starting to print at home (10x15) - for everything bigger I go to a professional, same for coffee table quality photo books (Couture Book...)

You definitely won't regret getting a Selphy. :smile:

Kind regards,
Oliver
Thank you so much, Oliver! I was hoping for some feedback from experienced TPF member's. Bingo! :smile:
Especially the point with friends coming over ... everybody loves to receive photos! And those photos don't have to be larger.

I hope more questions will come up on my route in 2017, I really enjoy reading the answers the intel in this forum provides.
Enjoy your printing, I am looking forward to start soon.

By buying a printer I support the trend that less and less customers go to labs. One reason why the labs suddenly developed a fee for every order. It's this fee that makes small orders uneconomical. Still I see where it is coming from. From people like me/us.

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer
By buying a printer I support the trend that less and less customers go to labs. One reason why the labs suddenly developed a fee for every order. It's this fee that makes small orders uneconomical. Still I see where it is coming from. From people like me/us.

Don't feel to bad about it ;) Think of how much money they made of us in the past... I remember very well when having digital files made from 35mm film cost almost double to triple of what simple prints would have cost. The labs/photo shops are now paying the price for their often ridiculous fees and often enough bad customer service. I had a camera failure once - only black pictures - instead of asking how to proceed they simply processed the film and printed the pictures and charged me for it. Only photo shop in town, so they could do it. Now they're gone and I don't feel one bit sorry for them. ;)

Print away and enjoy! ;)

Kind regards,
Oliver

Reactions: lovely_bag
Don't feel to bad about it ;) Think of how much money they made of us in the past... I remember very well when having digital files made from 35mm film cost almost double to triple of what simple prints would have cost. The labs/photo shops are now paying the price for their often ridiculous fees and often enough bad customer service. I had a camera failure once - only black pictures - instead of asking how to proceed they simply processed the film and printed the pictures and charged me for it. Only photo shop in town, so they could do it. Now they're gone and I don't feel one bit sorry for them. ;)

Print away and enjoy! ;)

Kind regards,
Oliver
Good point(s)!

I hope that I am almost there: contacted the cumstomer services, asking for advice which Selphy works with my latest Mac OS software. Keeping my fingers crossed that the answer will be a positive one.