Princess Amaryllis is Gone

coleigh

Laugh and live....
O.G.
Jul 21, 2007
I sold my rouge vif Kelly bag. :nuts:I did carry many items in her. I believe that the leather piece holding the ghw rings was tearing because of the weight. So I have decided that it is best to purchase a rouge vif Birkin in a 25cm, 28cm HAC, or 30cm because the weight will be evenly distributed on the two handles.
Has anyone had this problem? What is your take on the Kelly handle and the Birkin handles?

Well, I've never believed one should carry too much weight in the Kelly but more because of the pull on the closure....not so much on the handles.

I think if you tend to carry a lot, you should opt for the 30cm Birkin.

I think no matter what the size, birkins are better for shlepping stuff. Even when there's not much in my 35 kelly, I feel as if there is pressure on the straps and hardware.

I agree. The Birkin can be stuffed beyond belief and still carry well, not look overstuffed and it seems there is never any pressure on the handles.

I'm trying not to stuff mine so much, but I do use it as purse/briefcase/tote all at once.

lulilu-From this experience, I agree with your point.
Samaire-I thought the Kelly was my workhorse, but now I need to find a Birkin in the same color and leather to fill the void.
Thanks ladies. Your input is valuable to me.

i do belive you would be better off with abirkin but the hadle and weight issue is not exactly solved by the two ahndles birkins have the handle rubbing problem and the fact that it might tend to loose its shape with weight i mean all im saying is is this is the point i sujest a 40cm birkein as the bottom is reinforced and a sturdy leather like fjord or TC hoe it helps birkel

lulilu-From this experience, I agree with your point.
Samaire-I thought the Kelly was my workhorse, but now I need to find a Birkin in the same color and leather to fill the void.
Thanks ladies. Your input is valuable to me.
coleigh, i see you added a 30cm rouge vif courchevel to your ticker :P I hope you find it....you will love courchevel (i have owned a vintage courchevel and it takes color beautifully and really keeps it shape when overfilled) but don't rule out epsom, it is so so similar and takes color amazingly! i have a 35 epsom birkin in thalassa and even when overstuffed it keeps it shape nicely. i think if you go with a firmer leather like epsom you can go with a smaller bag!!!!

Last edited:
birkel, I have a biscuit 30cm birkin. I love this size. A 40 would look like luggage on me. I do see your point. Thanks.
trishaluvslv, I love courcheval. My Kelly was in courcheval. I like it better than epsom. I had a Bearn wallet in epsom. Courcheval had a shine that epsom could not compete with in a leather good, IMO. I'm looking forward to finding a Birkin in this leather. I agree that the Birkin will hold its shape in courcheval or epsom. It is a carefree leather. I would spill coffee and wine on my Kelly, and it recovered nicely. If that is your thalassa Birkin in the avatar, it is gorgeous. Thanks for your help.