Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

This may be a dumb question considering I like to follow and learn all things Royal....

Queen and Phillip had a few kids correct? Why is Charles the only one available to be the next King once she passes? How does it go to Charles and then William when there are other kids?

My guess is: The succession passes from the first-born to the first-born.

Under Uk covid laws Harry had to quarantine until the day of the funeral and after before he few back - the Queen was seen driving herself to frogmore twice I fear to meet with her grandson blood being thicker than water etc she is 95 and has the capacity to forgive him but her loyal subjects won’t

My post was mistakenly posted here, it was for the other thread.
I believe that QE will eventually forgive JCMH, but she will hear her people on any decisions she will make. She will also consider the lack of respect they had towards her husband. Why would they need to give Oprah's interview?
MM&H have the right to leave the BRF and live in the US or in Mart, but they certainly have no right to attack the monarchy the way they did. So I hope Charles will go ahead with his old plan to slim down the monarchy and get rid of the parasites.

The QUEEN took her dogs out for a walk on the Windsor Estate as she celebrated her 95th birthday.
1619028911282.png
Boris Johnson marked the Queen's birthday by paying tribute to her on social media, saying he is "proud" to serve as her Prime Minister.

The QUEEN took her dogs out for a walk on the Windsor Estate as she celebrated her 95th birthday.
View attachment 5061850
Boris Johnson marked the Queen's birthday by paying tribute to her on social media, saying he is "proud" to serve as her Prime Minister.

Ok, tPFers, name that scarf.

A look at the Queen's incredible designer scarf collection
We're not jealous, you're jealous

the-queen-smiling

At 2019's Royal Windsor Horse Show

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question considering I like to follow and learn all things Royal....

Queen and Phillip had a few kids correct? Why is Charles the only one available to be the next King once she passes? How does it go to Charles and then William when there are other kids?

Most royal families follow the principle of primogeniture which is that the first born legitimate child inherits the throne. So, Charles is next. As Charles' first born, William will then become King after Charles. After William, it will be little Prince George. One day, when Prince George marries and has children, his first born will be the next in line. As time passes, the younger siblings of Charles and William and, ultimately, little George will see their families become more and distant from the throne and fall further and further down in the line of succession.
ETA: As pointed out by @doni, the above is true for most European royal families but royals from the Middle East or Asia might have different succession paths.

Last edited:
Most royal families follow the principle of primogeniture which is that the first born legitimate child inherits the throne. So, Charles is next. As Charles' first born, William will then become King after Charles. After William, it will be little Prince George. One day, when Prince George marries and has children, his first born will be the next in line. As time passes, the younger siblings of Charles and William and, ultimately, little George will see their families become more and distant from the throne and fall further and further down in the line of succession.
That is indeed the case with European royalty/aristocracy. I believe in the Middle East and Asia there are other, often more complex, systems, and thus it is not unusual for brothers to inherit the throne instead of the children.

This is why people talk about "the spare". If anything had happened to Charles before he had children, Andrew would have stepped in as the heir.

If something were to happen to George, Charlotte would step in as the Queen changed rules so girls are now equal to boys, which was not the case when her own children were young. Also, the Queen herself was never the heir apparent but heir presumptive (which is why she was never Prince(ss?) of Wales) - a placeholder if you will - even when her mother was well over her childbearing years, because had her parents miraculously had a son, he would have become king.

This is why people talk about "the spare". If anything had happened to Charles before he had children, Andrew would have stepped in as the heir.

If something were to happen to George, Charlotte would step in as the Queen changed rules so girls are now equal to boys, which was not the case when her own children were young. Also, the Queen herself was never the heir apparent but heir presumptive (which is why she was never Prince(ss?) of Wales) - a placeholder if you will - even when her mother was well over her childbearing years, because had her parents miraculously had a son, he would have become king.

That was changed around 2011 in the UK, I think, so that a first born girl could inherit the throne and not be passed over for a younger brother. I think most European royal families have made this change to their successions as well. If I recall correctly though, did not the current King of Sweden want his younger son to be king, and not his first born and eldest daughter, the current Crown Princess Victoria?

ETA: As pointed out by @doni, the above is true for most European royal families but royals from the Middle East or Asia might have different succession paths.

As I said in a short form: The succession passes from the first-born to the first-born.

That was changed around 2011 in the UK, I think, so that a first born girl could inherit the throne and not be passed over for a younger brother. I think most European royal families have made this change to their successions as well. If I recall correctly though, did not the current King of Sweden want his younger son to be king, and not his first born and eldest daughter, the current Crown Princess Victoria?
Except in Spain, where there is so much fear to open the Constitution, we still have male progeniture... So it was extremely convenient the current King has only daughters. There has been a lot of speculation about just how auspicious this was.