Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Starflower2305

I'm just me!!
O.G.
Apr 17, 2010
MODERATOR NOTE: These posts have been moved from other Royal Family (mostly Will and Kate's) threads on Wednesday 4/14/2021
Thank you to @Traminer for starting this thread today. This thread contains all the posts beginning with this first sharing of the announcement of HRH Prince Philip's Passing on April 9. Thank you!

So sad

Eyhvyk9XMAIJGCQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry to hear about Prince Philip, how very sad for the Queen.

I wonder how quickly Harry and MM will make this all about them? How they couldn't travel to the UK to say goodbye, that they deeply regret not being there, how close Harry was to his grandfather, etc. Or, perhaps if they are not allowed to attend the funeral due to covid and quarantine restrictions or even Prince Philip's own decision, they'll head down the victim road of how awful it was that they were snubbed and not invited.

Reactions: elvisfan4life
Dear Aunt Lilibet,

We have been deeply saddened by the news of the passing of our dear Uncle Philip.

In these painful moments, we want to convey our deepest condolences on behalf of the Government and the Spanish people, as well as all our closeness and support.

We will never forget the occasions we were able to share with him and the legacy of service and dedication to the Crown and the United Kingdom that he has always played by your side.

Our thoughts and prayers are with your majesty and with the entire family.

With all our love and affection, Felipe and Letizia."

https://www.vanitatis.elc...elegrama-lilibet_3027704/

Very sorry. RIP Philip! :sad:
1617978904393.png
The Queen today announced with 'deep sorrow' the death of her husband Prince Philip at the age of 99, her 'strength and guide' throughout their 73-year marriage and her 69-year reign.

The Duke of Edinburgh spent his final days at Windsor Castle with his wife, who he lovingly called Lilibet throughout their long life together, after a 28-night stay in hospital having been admitted in mid-February for an infection and a pre-existing heart condition.

Her Majesty announced her husband's death at midday as the Union Flag was lowered to half-mast outside Buckingham Palace and on public buildings across the UK and Commonwealth, while members of the public hugged and wiped away tears as they laid flowers in his memory - and messages of love and support for the Queen and her family.

A state funeral including a flotilla of boats on the Thames to mark his life looks impossible due to covid restrictions, but the Duke was said to have disliked the idea because he 'didn't want the fuss'. Details will emerge in the next few days, with the plan nicknamed 'Operation Forth Bridge', but the public have already been urged to stay away to avoid spreading Covid-19.

Reactions: Hurrem1001
I'm surprised at myself how sad the news of Philip's passing have made me. My heart breaks for the Queen.
Me, too. She must be so beside herself with grief. I can't even imagine her pain.
My heart breaks for the Queen. I was just thinking how Philip was probably one of the last (if not the last) person alive who clearly remembers the Queen's father and other beloved family members in her life who have since long passed away. So his loss is probably doubly hard - losing a beloved husband in and of himself, plus one of her last links to her young adulthood.

Reactions: lulilu
I feel sad too. I think one of the hardest parts of living to a great age must be losing your contemporaries and those memories you shared with them. I felt teary at the news, even though it’s not unexpected. I’m so sorry for the Queen, she will miss him dreadfully.
Completely agreed. It must be terribly lonely to live to a great age, even if one is lucky enough to be surrounded by other, younger family members.

Reactions: lulilu