Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

...although as you stated later they took great pains to confirm everything with other sources before publishing.

Which is what legitimate investigative journalists still do. But today we have opinion masquerading as news, without any checks and balances. Sort of like this thread ;)

I guess for me the difference is I don’t expect an entertainment personality, like Oprah, to function like Christiane Amanpour.

What I find more troubling is the divisiveness...when we retreat to our “sides” and automatically dismiss whatever the “other” is saying simply because “they” are saying it.

I would hate to promote vaccine refusal because two would be celebrities are involved with an event...we literally have a “news” personality supporting anti vaxers because he doesn’t like the messenger ("Some creepy old guy telling your children, your little kids to take medicine whose effects we do not fully understand.")

That worries me a lot more than anything a former actress and her ex pat husband do to extend their 15 minutes.
I called it a divergent point because I've seen instances over the years when wannabe journalists take a leap of faith and publish a rumour as fact, and even describe their source as their Deep Throat. B&W had to work extra hard to try to verify their story, whereas these wannabes are only harping on the exclusivity of their source. Their takeaway from the breaking of the Watergate story is that they must find some insider to spill the beans, never mind if the beans are truth or lie.

Agree on the divisiveness. There is too much "Are you for me or against me?" going on. Cannot understand why health matters have become so political. Have they not heard of Death the Leveller?

There are some celebrities that do good without any fanfare, and it comes to light months or even years later, or maybe not at all. Keanu Reeves and Jamie Fox come to mind. Those celebrities I actually respect, because it's more genuine and from the heart than passing out a sandwich and having a headline, "SEE WHAT I DID?!!? AREN'T I WONDERFUL?!!?"
Look at what we learnt about George Michael after he passed away. (I still can't get used to those words where he's concerned)

Tweeting things to the NZ PM without actually researching the facts makes one look stupid. MM and JCMH jumping into this with zero knowledge of anything is annoying to me.

This is what is dangerous too. Selena Gomez has 65+million twitter followers who I assume look up to her and listen to her. She spread false information and some people from NZ corrected her, yet she did not feel the need to correct her tweet or apologize, which shows she doesn't care if she is right or wrong, she just wants the attention.

Harry once defended his use of private planes while preaching about climate change and reducing emissions by saying his family needs the security of a private jet. So basically one rule for the rich and another for peasants.

I guess for me the difference is I don’t expect an entertainment personality, like Oprah, to function like Christiane Amanpour.

Although Oprah is not an investigative journalist, she gave MM and H a platform to promote falsehoods, so this is more of ethical issue.
MM basically trashed the royal family when she knew they would never be able to defend themselves publicly.

But today we have opinion masquerading as news, without any checks and balances. Sort of like this thread ;)

This thread is far from news, just like any other sort of social media or forum which we are all well aware of. This is space for opinions and ideas, nothing we say here is taken as a fact or written in stone. No one quotes things from this thread as a 'fact'.

I would hate to promote vaccine refusal because two would be celebrities are involved with an event.

Vaccine hesitancy has been around for a long time and has prevented the eradication of many diseases. I don't think that is a political divide as people have sighted religion and religious leaders advising them not to take certain vaccinations.

We are not promoting vaccine refusal at all, regardless of who is or isn't hosting/attending the event. I really doubt that people will listen to celebs with zero science or medical knowledge/skills when they don't even listen to doctors and nurses (people who dedicated their entire life to the service of others).

This thread is far from news, just like any other sort of social media or forum which we are all well aware of. This is space for opinions and ideas, nothing we say here is taken as a fact or written in stone. No one quotes things from this thread as a 'fact'.

The title of the thread includes the word “gossip”. One definition according to Google:
casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.