Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

It's an appealing thought, but not likely. I think if it got that bad Charles would bail them out because of the kids, and not wanting to look like the bad guy by cutting him off without a penny. I've heard that financial issues are the number one reason for divorce, so if things get that bad she may divorce Hazy and seek greener pastures. There's probably some shady old rich guy out there who would think she's a catch because of her royal connection.

True, 40 millions don't go far *irony off* Not Charles' fault they can't live within their means.

I’d be really surprised if Charles was giving the gruesome twosome sufficient money to support their current profligate lifestyle. They must be blowing through several million dollars a year since Megxit. Charles receives approximately $25 million a year from the Duchy of Cornwall. That is supposed to fund his lifestyle plus that of his children and grandchildren. Approximately $7 million of that went to William and Harry each year to fund their life styles while Harry was still a working Royal. This money is separate from taxpayer funds that go towards paying for security, maintenance of the royal properties, staff salaries, and work related travel expenses. If Harry needed $3 million a year to fund his lifestyle while he was still a bachelor, how much more does he need now that he has a wife and 2 children to support as well. Then add in the expenses that used to be funded with taxpayer money but is no longer - security, housing, staff salaries, work related travel. This is a man who never had to worry his head about budgeting or administration. That was all taken care of by the BRF bureaucracy with government oversight. Can you see him interviewing staff, reviewing employee contracts, reviewing bills to make sure he’s not getting overcharged or double charged or billed for something he did not receive? So there’s got to be considerable wastage in his current spending just because he has no idea how to be economical or efficient in his spending. Yes he’s been able to get some of his expenses picked up by others (I.e. loan of private planes for a few trips, living rent free in Canada for a few months, possibly loaned designer clothes for TW) but he has to declare and pay taxes on those “freebies” so they’re not totally free either. After deducting the $7 million mentioned above, Charles has $18 million left to fund his lifestyle. I could see him continuing to give Harry the $3 million he’s been giving him for years but I don’t see him doubling or tripling that amount to fund the stuff that used to be covered by taxpayers when Harry was still a working royal. The Harkles legal bills alone must be running them several million $ a year between the lawsuits they love to file and the endless stream of LLCs and special purpose vehicles Megalomaniac seems determined to create. Then there’s their PR firm, etc.

I wonder how taxation works if they are dual citizens? I remember a friend from Canada who worked in my company told me he had to pay US and Canadian taxes. But regardless, with the top California state tax being 13% for people who make over $1m and the federal rate, they would probably clock in close to 50% tax rate just on the US alone.

Something’s not adding up here. I’m having a hard time believing that any financial institution would underwrite a $10 million mortgage on a $14.6 million property for a borrower with $5 million net worth and no guaranteed source of income. At the time they bought the Montecito mansion I think he’d had only the one paid speaking engagement with JPM and I don’t think either the Netflix or Spotify deals had been signed then. Maybe his book deal was signed by then but that still doesn’t seem like enough guaranteed income to satisfy a mortgage lender.

Or maybe when you are a member of the BRF, you have connections and the standards are...cough...waived a bit?

If they sold their Montecito home they could possibly gain some millions in the current market, BUT when they purchased it in June 2020 it had been bouncing on and off the market for 5 years since May 2015 ( listing history is on line). Doubt they have made improvements and there’s the adjacent stinky swamp odor that’s been widely reported so actually selling might be difficult. Current estimated value on Zillow.com is $26,913,200.00

As for decor we’ve seen in photos, not going to attract buyers IMO. They really have no taste.

I have no doubt it was the location that sold them...near Ellen and Oprah...

They should fired their PR team anyway. It's not like they are doing a great job.
I beg to differ. They are doing a pretty good job considering how little they have to work with, and how their clients constantly sabotage themselves :rolleyes: Their brief was probably to keep the Harkles in the news, good or bad news was irrelevant.

Yes but if the Forbes article was close to accurate, harry had about $5 million left in his Trust which wouldn’t be nearly enough because you’d have to assume he’d be drawing down his capital in the trust to cover mortgage payments plus living expenses too If he didn’t have enough income.
Did I miss any recent article on Forbes about Hazz's leftover funds? Wow, I've been missing several developments in the Harkles's saga.

According to NS, their case against the Mail on Sunday is supposed to go to court in June. Also, TM is likely not going to be received by the BRF during his upcoming trip to the UK.

Something’s not adding up here. I’m having a hard time believing that any financial institution would underwrite a $10 million mortgage on a $14.6 million property for a borrower with $5 million net worth and no guaranteed source of income. At the time they bought the Montecito mansion I think he’d had only the one paid speaking engagement with JPM and I don’t think either the Netflix or Spotify deals had been signed then. Maybe his book deal was signed by then but that still doesn’t seem like enough guaranteed income to satisfy a mortgage lender.
I'm not a mortgage expert, so I'll go with conspiracy theory instead because it's more fun. Both houses the Despicable Duo have occupied in North America were owned by Russian billionaires with the Vancouver BC house apparently rent free for about a year while The Montsh!tshow house was 'purchased' from Russian oligarch, Sergey Grishin. Could he be guaranteeing the mortgage and/or could the duo's ownership be all smoke and mirrors. Could the Dastardly Duo or at least TW have agreed to try to destabilize the monarchy in exchange for freebies from these Russian billionaires?