Pricing differences on Bay & Bonz?

pjrufus

Like Buttah!
O.G.
May 13, 2009
I've never sold or bought anything on Bonanzle, but I have on Ebay, and after reading a lot here on the ebay forum, a lot of people are leaving ebay for Bonanzle due to excessive fees (among other things).

I'm just curious. I've noticed over the last few months, the exact same items from the same sellers on both ebay and bonanzle, and the bonz prices seem to be quite a bit higher than ebay. Just wondering why this is.

if they have an OBO i think they just assume buyers are going to lowball them so they give themselves some cushion. ive gotten ridiculous offers on my bonz auctions.

I've seen some stupid crazy Bon auctions. I just have to laugh and say to myself "you think I'm paying $89 for that J. Crew tee shirt that at retail sold for $29?".... crazy!!!

I have noticed this too. The only time I see really reasonable prices on bonanzle is from TPF members. Ebay's rule I believe is you can't sell on both sites, but honsetly they don't follow up. When I sell on bonanzle I set my prices really reasonably as to hope to sell it fatser.

fashion_mom1, I don't there is a rule about selling on more than one site.

I appreciate everyone's comments, just something I've been wondering about this for awhile.

Per ebay (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html):

What not to do:

You're not allowed to:
* List an item that you're simultaneously selling outside of eBay.

eBay doesn't actually have a legal leg to stand on with that rule. They can't tell sellers what to do with their own items. That is one of those rules with nothing behind it except ebay trying to control the market.

I'd bet money that if someone challenged it in court ebay would be slapped for unfair trade practices.

What you want to do is set up Bonanzle so you have to approve the sale before someone can do a BIN. That way you can verify you have the item and check your ebay to delete the item from your listings. That way you can avoid inadvertently selling the item on both venues at the same time.

eBay doesn't actually have a legal leg to stand on with that rule. They can't tell sellers what to do with their own items. That is one of those rules with nothing behind it except ebay trying to control the market.

I'd bet money that if someone challenged it in court ebay would be slapped for unfair trade practices.

They actually do as selling items in an auction format and bidding on an auction is considered a binding contract. If the item is for sale on another site, the seller is in breach of that contract.

Last edited:
I've done a bit of browsing on Bonanzle but have never actually bought or sold anything either. From my limited Bonanzle experience, the majority of the items I have looked at have a price plus an OBO (or best offer) option. I have never seen an auction format on Bonanzle (maybe they don't exist?).

I am a lot more familiar with ebay and see lots of auction formats, lots of BIN formats and a minority of BINs with a best offer option.

So Bonanzle seems to be set up for (maybe even encourage?) people to start high and negotiate downwards. Ebay is less like that. JMHO.