Price for used Mulberry bags?

Copper1977

Jun 13, 2008
Hi everyone

I have been watching a bag on ebay as it is a style I have been lusting after for a while. It is the Barnaby messenger, which can still be bought direct from Mulberry. I saw this one come up on ebay, and it was a seller that I have seen mentioned on here as being reputable so I thought if I could buy a used but in very good condition bag then I could save myself a few pounds.

I'm not sure how much less than RRP I was expecting the bag to go for, but it went for nearly the retail price. The retail price is £425 and it sold for £400. Personally if the price is that close I would rather buy from a shop/Mulberry and have a brand new one that I can return if there is a problem. Not sure if the seller is a member on here, but I'm not saying it shouldn't have sold for that much, I'm just surprised as I didn't think it would sell for that much.

I just wondered what peoples views were on buying a bag from ebay and how much you would expect to pay? I understand some girls are forced more down the ebay route because some places don't ship abroad so I guess that is one reason.

i have bought many 2nd hand bags from ebay that have been used abused. and many that are well loved and looked after and were bargins. only been caught once with a fake , i got my money back through paypal but it was a lot of trouble and took a of of time .

Last edited:
Ebay is always risky and yes it can happen that some bags can go for almost the retail price, on some occasions even more (note the red jersey bays (yucky) that went for double its price and more on ebay).

I was actually watching a Roxy a4 tote on ebay as well as been shown another one on sale by a tpfr, ebay's bag went for much more than the tpfr bargain spot, so I bought that one instead and felt reassured that because I was buying from a store, I knew exactly what I was getting, even though the ebay one was genuine too, something about buying from a reputable store makes the process less stressful.

In that Barnaby auction the starting price was £9.99. In a rising price auction it's the buyers who set the final selling price so if they want to pay £400 then I guess that's up to them. Can't say I would though! I bet the seller is delighted that auction fever hit the bidders! :graucho:

Yes, that's what I mean. It's absolutely the buyers setting the price, rather than the seller. I was just surprised that there seemed to be a couple of people willing to pay almost retail price for a bag that has been used.

With the pound being extremely weak at the moment, it could account for some of the prices seeming to be higher. I think most sellers have seen an increase in European and US buyers due to the weak pound, which of course makes everything seem much cheaper to them. Mulberry has always been attractive to the Scandanavian buyers because it is much cheaper here than over there, and even moreso currently.

With the pound being extremely weak at the moment, it could account for some of the prices seeming to be higher. I think most sellers have seen an increase in European and US buyers due to the weak pound, which of course makes everything seem much cheaper to them. Mulberry has always been attractive to the Scandanavian buyers because it is much cheaper here than over there, and even moreso currently.

I think JazzyJay is bang on with this, when I sold two bags recently, they both went to the Netherlands and I got much more than I expected for them.

Personally, if I see a bag on eBay that is still current stock then it would have to be a good bargain otherwise I would rather buy from a store. If I see a bag that is not available anymore then it will depend on how much I wanted it. I always find out, and keep in mind, the retail price if I am bidding on a current bag because it's too easy to get carried away on bidding.

I think JazzyJay is bang on with this, when I sold two bags recently, they both went to the Netherlands and I got much more than I expected for them.

I also think that is because Mulberry is much more available in the UK, so international buyers are often prepared to pay more on eBay, because that would still be less than paying full price in the store. Plus a lot of (older) models or colours are not available outside the UK (anymore) also a reason to be willing to bid higher.

Its the old thing of being worth different things to different people isn't it?

Sometimes, as Bagcrazy says - the postage cost from the actual product website can be more than on eBay - also, don't forget, people get carried away bidding on eBay and lose sight of the RRP, they just don't want to be outbid!!!!