Previously Owned Goyard Pricing

ahg68

Feb 28, 2017
I have seen many Goyard St Louis totes on resale websites like Tradesy and Rebag priced above retail for a NEW bag. Does anyone know why? For instance I looked at a St. Louis PM on Rebag today in “good” condition for $1675 with moderate wear. A new PM is $1595. What’s going on? Who would buy a used bag in a standard color for more than a new bag?

C7967EC4-9B1D-49C7-92DC-92628477A6D2.png

Reactions: asmolbean
I’m guessing some people just don’t know because info is so hard to find
That could be! You can’t find prices for new bags online. I filled out the sales inquiry form on the Goyard website to get pricing details. I feel badly for people who overpay for a used bag! On the other hand, it does seem tempting to buy a bag, use it for a while and then sell it!

Reactions: RT1 and Swanky
There are only something like 22 cities around the world with Goyard stores. Especially due to covid, it's hard to get into a store even if they're conveniently located. Sometimes it's just easier to pay a premium and have the bag sent to your door. Because of this forum, I knew what prices were when I got my St. Louis in 2016, so I opted to wait until I had a reason to be in NYC before purchasing.

In addition to what @Four Tails said, Goyard is now making it the client's responsibility to pay for import taxes and duties, as well as local sales tax, for any items shipped from an international Goyard comptoir. This includes shipments sent directly to the client's home, as well as items transferred from one comptoir to another. So for many without an in-country Goyard, it may be less expensive to pay slightly over retail to a reseller.

Reactions: RT1
I normally bought Goyard from Bergdorfs or barneys pre covid. It was just easier during covid to buy form fashionphile even at a premium. easier to buy and, if undecided, easier to return On line. I probably would not have purchased this way but for covid and sheltering in place. JMO.

• Love
Reactions: RT1
Interesting. I was wondering the same. I was actually surprised when I was quoted the price of a classic black in store as I thought it’d be much higher in face of pre-loved prices, crazy! but a nice surprise in any event :biggrin:
I am buying remote from the Paris shop and they have told me that:

”We would like inform you that distant purchase payments shall be executed through bank transfer.
The according shipping fees would include transportation, all covering insurance and local applicable taxes.”

I really do not see why I‘d pay hundreds euro more for an item which has been used and whose authenticity may even be in doubt instead of cheaper direct from the store??

In general, I struggle with paying above retail for any purses, no matter how rare. I understand some believe handbags are an investment, we all have read the article from Forbes, but unless it's consistently across all items under that brand, I just don't see the "investment" part of it for me - I mean, I don't own a Himalayan croc Birkin and I can say with confidence that none of my Hermes items is going to sell for 132% above the retail I paid for:smile: I have never sold a purse above retail so I suppose I don't expect to pay above retail for one.

In general, I struggle with paying above retail for any purses, no matter how rare. I understand some believe handbags are an investment, we all have read the article from Forbes, but unless it's consistently across all items under that brand, I just don't see the "investment" part of it for me - I mean, I don't own a Himalayan croc Birkin and I can say with confidence that none of my Hermes items is going to sell for 132% above the retail I paid for:smile: I have never sold a purse above retail so I suppose I don't expect to pay above retail for one.
But my point it, Goyard St Louis for example is not rare? Particularly in the classic black print? It is readily available at the stores, one phone call and a bank transfer away. So why pay premium to buy it used and without guaranteed authenticity?

The only reason I can see is that people just don’t know. Goyard’s website indeed doesn’t help. It seems to have been intentionally designed to encourage opacity and confusion...

But my point it, Goyard St Louis for example is not rare? Particularly in the classic black print? It is readily available at the stores, one phone call and a bank transfer away. So why pay premium to buy it used and without guaranteed authenticity?

The only reason I can see is that people just don’t know. Goyard’s website indeed doesn’t help. It seems to have been intentionally designed to encourage opacity and confusion...

I do think sometimes people get intimidated calling a place and just asking how much something costs. I've done that plenty of times in person and sorry, if I can't swing for a $9K Chanel blazer, well, I just can't, there's no shame in that. Also, I don't think distance sales was always available, so maybe people just don't know. But they post that on their website now so hopefully the secondary market won't continue to have these crazy numbers.

I agree that people should do their homework and know the retail cost and availability of a standard item like a Goyard bag before purchasing on a reseller site for more $$. If you buy something over retail, be sure that you can get enough out of it (re cost per wear, or however you decide on an items intrinsic value to you to make yourself happy). . . on TPF, im grateful to have these first world problems. For those of us in the US, fashionphile is a nice resource where you can try out bag sizes and styles, buy via Amex or cc or PayPal etc. and easily return, for example if you want to compare Goyard PM St. Louis to a LV NeverFull MM, etc.

I dont see how any of us could look at our bags as investments, despite Forbes. Stocks and real estate are investments. Cars and jewelry generally depreciate. Re art, I’m a visual artist, and the first to say, buy only what you love and want to live with. same goes for bags and RTW; buy what you love, what you will use, and what you can afford.

edit: and sometimes with Hermes and Chanel, even if you call up to get the price, the particular bag or RTW or brooch is not available for love or money, and the price of an item they may get in the future is subject to high adjustments lol. BTW, I nearly fainted after a long hiatus of not buying Chanel RTW, that the current price of a jacket was not 5-7K or 9K but 12K usd, and the range of prices was considerably skyward.

Last edited: