Preventing Speedy zipper cracks

kjack27

Apr 15, 2020
Hello all!
I was wondering if there where ways to prevent my 25B from getting canvas cracks along the zipper. I am planning to carry it every day. Dose it matter if I zip it or leave it open when I carry? Is there any way to condition the canvas?

thank you!

Oh this is interesting. I haven’t seen my classic speedy from 2008 cracking. But I am worried for my speedy b 25 DE as I have seen cracks on the preloved websites. Anyone else experienced cracking?

Oh this is interesting. I haven’t seen my classic speedy from 2008 cracking. But I am worried for my speedy b 25 DE as I have seen cracks on the preloved websites. Anyone else experienced cracking?
I just noticed my speedyb25 has a few along the zipper on both sides. I guess I’ll see what LV says. They’re all exactly the same length.

Attachments

• AD56F8B0-EAA4-47CC-8707-C3A94FA1F1B2.jpeg
    AD56F8B0-EAA4-47CC-8707-C3A94FA1F1B2.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 133
I had a Speedy B DE 25 (date code late Dec 2017) that I took excellent care of. One day during my train commute in Dec 2019, I looked down on my lap, where my Speedy was propped, and suddenly noticed all these red lines. I realized then that I had multiple cracks around the zipper. I posted pictures on this forum and all agreed that it was unacceptable to have that type of damage on a bag that was still relatively new. I took it to my local boutique in mid-January 2020 and they replaced it with a brand-new bag, no questions asked. I felt sad for my old bag ... we have been together so many places and it was my first LV. It also had the shinier leather which I feel looks more lux. But, for that kind of money those cracks were unacceptable. I am very happy with my new Speedy B. The matte leather grew on me as it is actually softer than the original, glossy leather. I sure hope this isn't a common problem or that it is something that has been figured out with the newer bags. The date code on my new one is the second week of Jan 2020...just days before I received it.

I had a Speedy B DE 25 (date code late Dec 2017) that I took excellent care of. One day during my train commute in Dec 2019, I looked down on my lap, where my Speedy was propped, and suddenly noticed all these red lines. I realized then that I had multiple cracks around the zipper. I posted pictures on this forum and all agreed that it was unacceptable to have that type of damage on a bag that was still relatively new. I took it to my local boutique in mid-January 2020 and they replaced it with a brand-new bag, no questions asked. I felt sad for my old bag ... we have been together so many places and it was my first LV. It also had the shinier leather which I feel looks more lux. But, for that kind of money those cracks were unacceptable. I am very happy with my new Speedy B. The matte leather grew on me as it is actually softer than the original, glossy leather. I sure hope this isn't a common problem or that it is something that has been figured out with the newer bags. The date code on my new one is the second week of Jan 2020...just days before I received it.
Thank you! I didn’t realize until I started looking for others with the same issue that this isn’t unheard of. Makes me sad because I love this bag. I take great care of mine as well and I’m very particular with how and where I sit it at all times. I hope I’m not told it’s wear and tear. I’ll be at the store as soon as they open tomorrow.

Thank you! I didn’t realize until I started looking for others with the same issue that this isn’t unheard of. Makes me sad because I love this bag. I take great care of mine as well and I’m very particular with how and where I sit it at all times. I hope I’m not told it’s wear and tear. I’ll be at the store as soon as they open tomorrow.
I'm sorry you have this problem. Mine was much worse, but even one crack is not acceptable. I think, like me, you will be offered another bag. I love the Speedy B, so I did not hesitate to get the same bag. Keep us posted.

My visit to the LV store didn’t go in my favor. Very disappointing. They say there is no known issue of this cracking on the Speedyb25 and there‘s nothing they can do. They say it’s wear and tear.
Wow. Sorry to hear...where do you live, btw? None of our boutiques are open right now. Either way, I'm afraid you experienced the whim of whomever the manager or SA is. If I were you I would try again at another store. It is definitely not normal wear and tear, otherwise I would have not been given a replacement so swiftly.

Wow. Sorry to hear...where do you live, btw? None of our boutiques are open right now. Either way, I'm afraid you experienced the whim of whomever the manager or SA is. If I were you I would try again at another store. It is definitely not normal wear and tear, otherwise I would have not been given a replacement so swiftly.
I’m in the U.S (Texas). Yes, I was at the mercy of the SA who says he showed the photos he took to his manager. I think I’ll email corporate with a couple of photos to see what they say.

I just noticed my speedyb25 has a few along the zipper on both sides. I guess I’ll see what LV says. They’re all exactly the same length.
This is definitely cracking!! Please ask Lv for advice!
If your store don’t help you try calling CS because this is unacceptable.
My speedy from 2015 (which I’ve just sold recently didn’t got any cracks) we‘ll see with my new one :confused1: :lol:

Reactions: OogleAtLuxury
ppl use their coated canvas bags a lot in cold climate most likely will experience cracks, switch to Gucci or other kinda of non coated canvas bag or leather bag or nylon bag etc in winter will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: beautycase
Interesting! How often do you use your bag?
Prior to covid I used it about 50% of the time. Didn‘t do anything out of the ordinary with it. Mainly carried crossbody if running errands and then handheld if just walking between my car and the office. Sits neatly upright in a desk drawer at work and on a shelf in my closet when at home. Sometimes I use a Samorga organizer in it, sometimes not. Zipper is closed the majority of time and the bag is stuffed when Im carrying another bag. My corners are perfect, the inside is clean, just some wearing off of the metal coating on the zipper tab is the wear and tear. I just can’t understand how else I’m supposed to use and care for a bag to prevent this.