Present for my wife, a smaller bag - suggestions/ideas?

1. Megs and I welcomed our baby boy earlier this month and wanted to share the news with the TPF community. Come say hello to Baby Vaughn!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    Apologies for hijacking this thread but I am not allowed to make a post until I have made 10 posts and being a man that's a big ask! If someone would make a post on my behalf that would be lovely.

I am looking for a present for my wife. She has many big bags (such as the Mulberry Daria Hobo) and she now wants a smaller bag. Something a little bowling/doctors bag in shape and not too big (about 30cm along he base ). She had talked in the past about a small Marc Jacobs Diagonal bag but I can't find one anywhere. At the moment, I have found a small Miu Miu Vitello Luxe in black (she already has the large cream version) which fits the bill but I would appreciate other ideas.

2. Hi, I think you'll get lots of ideas here :smile:

p.s. I moved out your post.

3. You mentioned Mulberry - is she a fan of the brand? Have you considered the Del Ray? I quite like the structured look of it although it looks a bit more formal than the Miu Miu.

Does your wife mind logo bags? If note, I think the LV Brea has a lovely shape. The MM size is smaller than the GM.

I don't know what MJ bag she was thinking, although I've been looking at Marc by Marc Jacobs recently and the Classic Q Baby Groovee seems like it might fit the bill.

4. She does like Mulberry thanks but she has so many of them I was looking for something else. I also think the Del Ray might be a little structured for her based on her current collection. The Marc by Marc looks nice, I think that's the kind of structure she is looking for plus the size is spot on (and the price isn't too bad either!).

5. What about the Longchamp Légende?

6. From experience, I would say that she likes slightly less traditional bags than the ones from the French houses. She doesn't work, so the bag doesn't want to look too formal. She has a black patent Bayswater which doesn't get too many run outs these days.

I think the smaller Miu Miu Vitello Luxe is a good starting point, she used the large one to death.

7. Have a look at one of the less smooth-surface Del Rays, the Ink blue sparkle croc with turtle lock or Gold snake-print with matching lock.

The MbMJ bags are OK and they are great value for money, no doubt, my BF has one I gave him for a present, but they're not in the same league as Mulberry IMO especially if it's to add to a considered collection.

8. How about the Doctor's Bag from The Row? (it's available on the International Site) 29.5cm x 19cm x 19cm :graucho:

Good luck!

9. I was going to suggest a smaller Balenciaga like the Town or First since she doesn't like too much structure but then read the part about the doctor bag shape. How about the small or medium Chloe Paraty?

10. I don't think you can go too far wrong with a Mulberry - classic British designer with world renown. I love the Alexa - good size, not too structured and can be carried in the hand or worn across the body - or the Small Bayswater Satchel, which seems to get more floppy with age and use. The Lily might be another good choice? In all cases, look at the info section for each bag on the Mulberry website - the type of leather/material used might help you choose the colour/style of your choice of bag.

Good luck with whatever you choose - your wife's a lucky lady! Make sure you let us know your eventual decision!

11. The Miu Miu sounds like a great choice, because you know she'll like it. If you want alternatives to Mulberry, how about Anya Hindmarch, Smythson, or Aspinal? At a lower price point, maybe Dooney and Bourke's florentine line?

12. Yay for your wife! I love threads where husbands ask for ideas. Thank you for sharing your request here.

I like smaller bags. I have bigger ones for work, but I prefer to carry small, even clutches. My favorite high end designer to admire is Ferragamo. www.ferragamo.com

I have just one Ferragamo bag, and it is 20 years old (bought it used). It's in really good condition, though the lamb needs to be resurfaced, but the structure, seams, etc. are perfect.

13. #15 Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, will let you know how it goes.