prepping your face - your 'stages'

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
I'm wondering what everyone here does before a big night?
Anything special to prep?

When you start your beauty routine before the event, what's your routine like?

For example:
wash
apply serum then moisturize
apply primer, etc. . . .

Depending how my skin is doing, I'll do a peel or a mask (Dermalogica Cream Exfoliant, Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel - Sensitive, Murad or SkinAuthority clarifying/sulfur masks) a couple of days before a very important/big event.

Night of:
Cleanse with Bioderma H20 Micelle Solution, then spritz with Avene thermal water.
Start with whatever serum & eye cream I'm using - have found a lot I like but no real HGs. Right now, it's the Murad Sensitivity Serum for Redness and the Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream.
Bioderma Sensibio AR Anti-Rougeurs Cream - no SPF, photographs nicely so I tend to save it for nighttime/special events.
Primer - depends on what foundation I'm using/my mood: KORRES Quercetin & Oak Anti-Aging Primer, Makeup Forever HD #5 Blue if my skin isn't looking too hot, or Clarins Beauty Flash Balm. If the Clarins, I wait another 10 minutes, if the MUFE or KORRES just continue as normal.
Dr. Brandt's Pores No More pore refiner along the bridge of the nose and right beside it.
One of two foundations: Bobbi Brown Skin if it's just a house/dinner party or something, Chanel Pro Lumiere - which I'm gutted they've discontinued - for performances, very special occasions.
Skin stippled with a MAC#187, Smashbox #12 for the Pro Lumiere, blend both with either a CoverFX or QUO Precision Kabuki Foundation Brush (no real difference between the two; though the QUO is cheaper but the CoverFX washes better)
Concealers, blush, highlighter, la-la-la-la-la - only thing that's really standard is that I tend to reach for the NARS Copacabana Multiple for nights out since it's quite shimmery.
False lashes - Ardell #301 or #305, or KISS USA #5s if wearing.
Set with Makeup Forever HD powder.

Usually the day before I will do a thorough exfoliant and a good mask.

The night of, I will again use a hydrating face mask and then a moisturizer,
primer, makeup, eye make up, mascara & lipstick & gloss

Good thread idea - please give us the brand names of what you're using!

For me...hmmm...it all takes place the day of. I might do an at-home glycolic the week before, but I do that anyway so not sure it can be considered part of a night-out routine.

Step 1: thoroughly cleanse with Avene cleanser (the gentle stuff) - I also use the Clarisonic during this step, because I can have issues with flakies. Wipe off cleanser with muslin cloth, then splash face to gt rid of it all.

Step 2: fill a big baking bowl with just-boiled water and a few drops of essential oils (lavender, roman chamomile, rose, sometimes some other stuff but those are the basics) - put towel over my head and steam face for about 5 mins. Splash with very cold water. Steam for another few mins.

Step 3: After patting my skin partially dry with a very soft towel, I use Perricone Serum Prep (I dont know why they dont just describe this stuff as 'toner') on a cotton square and swipe it all over my face and neck.

Step 4: Serum. Right now, I'm using Perricone First Blush.

Step 5: Moisturizer - this depends on what time of year it is and how dry my skin is. I always use moisturizer, but go very heavy during winter - Weleda skin food on top of some virgin coconut and argan oil.

Step 6: Give everything 15-20 mins to settle in and then do my makeup. :smile: