Preparing for the rainbow bridge

dusty paws

O.G.
Sep 20, 2006
Hi guys... I don't think our abby dog is going to be with us much longer. i'm so heartbroken and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to help prepare yourself for letting your fur friend go to the rainbow bridge. I do want to see her once more before I go but how can I bring myself to see her when I know she won't be with us much longer?

thanks. :heart:

Oh sweetie I am SO sorry. I have no advice, except that maybe you should go see her.

You don't need to 'be there' you know what I mean. I do not judge - I have not been able to be there for some of mine.

It will be difficult, it will be heart-wrenching, but wouldn't it be all those things anyway if you didn't go see her?

But please, I mean no pressure - whatever you can handle is right; there is no wrong way to deal with it.

Last edited:
Oh noooo! I am so so sorry :sad: Just spoil her rotten. I went through the same thing with my first dog Boomer. It's all I could do...fed him all of his favorite things, peanut butter, cottage cheese, hamburger, you name it. He actually gained weight towards the end. I'm just so glad I spent as much time with him as I could, and boy, did he know he was loved (I hope!).

I know some people take pictures on the last day, but I couldn't bring myself to...just too devastating, and some take locks of their best friend's fur when they know the time is near.

I am so sorry about Abby and that you and your family have to go through this...it is never ever easy to let them go.

I got a paw print that day I lost my boy, and I picked up his ashes later. I now have a shrine to him with his pictures and sympathy cards, the paw print and his collar :sad: Feels like yesterday, and I still bawl like a baby thinking about it.

Hugs to you and Abby.

I am so sorry--it is heart breaking to say the least when you lose a beloved pet. Although I have been through this more times than I care to think about, I have handled each loss differently. Just tell yourself that your baby will be at peace and resting without pain. That usually helped me.

Oh yes - do get a pawprint. It is lovely. Years later, I pull them out and look at them and have a good, cathartic cry. I also get a fake granite rock with their name and DOB and death on a plaque and put them all under a beautiful olive grove on my property...

thanks all.

we have gotten a paw print already. i do want to see her one last time. i've been having a good cry for the past half hour or so. i do have a photo of her that i took awhile ago that i blew up and framed for my dad so i'm thinking i may do the same for myself.

the past few months have been hard and this is just... i donno. i don't want her to be in pain anymore, i just want her to be happy.

I'm so sorry, DP. I don't know how you prepare for it. I guess knowing they're no longer in pain and that she had a good life and brought you as much love and happiness as you gave her, is something to focus on. All I know is it's not easy. {{{hugs}}}

dusty -- so very sorry for what you are going through. I don't think there is any real way to prepare. I tried to be with my dog as much as I could near the end, her back legs had given out, I would just lie with her and pet her and tell her I loved her.

When she did pass, I wrote a letter to her, telling her my feelings, remember all the funny things she did, and how I was hoping she was romping in heaven barking and chasing squirrels once again. I would take out the letter occasionally and read it, bawl like crazy, but would feel better afterwards.

Even though she was physically gone, our relationship is still there...things do hurt less with time...:hugs:

Oh dusty paws, I'm so sorry. I only have experience with my previous cat, who died of cancer. It was not easy. All I can tell you is that death is a part of life, and our furry friends live in our hearts forever. :heart:

Dearheart...I've lost many animals over the years, never easy. The last death was my Mother's little IG. When my Mom died, Lucy came to live with me. Old, blind, semi-toothless and incontinant but not in pain and ate well. I just could not put her to sleep. So I dealt with it for 3 years and I think she had a fairly decent life with lots of love. She finally died, in her sleep, at almost 18. It was easier because Lucy picked her time to let go. Having to make the decision to put an animal to sleep is a tough one. Pain is the one criteria that has to be addressed. No animal should live with extreme pain, especially if the prognosis isn't good. You will be devastated but knowing you did "the right thing" by your best friend will give you comfort. My heart is breaking for you! :hugs:

i dont think i can give advice how to be prepared....when coco was sick and i knew that the time was coming i was in such denial...even driving to the vet that last time i was in denial...sitting on the floor with her in my lap i was still in denial...only until the vet said that she was gone and i felt her not breathing anymore did reality sink in as to what i had done and i couldnt stop crying for a good 15 minutes with her in my lap and saying "i'm sorry Coco" a million times...
hug abby and give her a thousand kisses....just love her up....if she is in pain and it is time for her to be out of suffering then just know that you are doing what is right for her...it is our duty as animal parents to care for them while they are healthy and unfortunately let them go when they are sick....
big hugs to you and your family
may abby be in peace on the rainbow bridge when the time comes...she will have LOTS of wonderful TPF friends up there....
big hugs.....to you and abby....