Premium jeans in the dryer?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I always hang my premium jeans to dry. I don't want to put undue wear and tear on them and don't want them to shrink and be too short. However I just scored a pair of AG jeans at TJ Maxx and they're about an inch too long. The fabric content is: 29% cotton 69% viscose 2% polyurethane. Washing instructions are wash cold tumble dry. I'm thinking of maybe putting them in the dryer - either for just ten minutes or so - or to dry almost all the way. The material is pretty stretchy so having them come out too tight shouldn't be too likely. The motivation would be to maybe have them shrink in length.

Advice?

I only wear premium jeans and I always put them in the dryer. I find them to be too stiff when they just air dry. I haven't had a problem with any of my jeans shrinking. Sometimes they get a little tight in the hip and thigh area after being in the dryer, but they stretch right out again once I put them on. Never had an issue with my jeans shrinking length-wise.

I only wear premium jeans and I always put them in the dryer. I find them to be too stiff when they just air dry. I haven't had a problem with any of my jeans shrinking. Sometimes they get a little tight in the hip and thigh area after being in the dryer, but they stretch right out again once I put them on. Never had an issue with my jeans shrinking length-wise.
thanks
it's unlikely they'd shrink the right amount in length so probably best that I bring them to the alterations lady (or possibly wear turned under)

Reactions: cafecreme15
I don't think the dryer will help with the length. Either hem them or wear with heels. I typically hang dry for black jeans so the indigo won't fade
yes, next step will be to decide on length
they're cigarette jeans so probably something like this
BLANKNYC.jpg

Hi! I try not to dry my AG jeans in the dryer... For some reason, the one time I did, I felt it did something to the lycra in them and the jeans never stayed up on my hips anymore.... I can't describe it really except to say that I felt the jeans wouldn't mold back to my body and kept sliding down... almost as though they were permanently stretched out... At any rate, I think the advice others gave to take them to the tailor for a hem is good advice and worth the money to get the perfect fit. Good luck!

Hi! I try not to dry my AG jeans in the dryer... For some reason, the one time I did, I felt it did something to the lycra in them and the jeans never stayed up on my hips anymore.... I can't describe it really except to say that I felt the jeans wouldn't mold back to my body and kept sliding down... almost as though they were permanently stretched out... At any rate, I think the advice others gave to take them to the tailor for a hem is good advice and worth the money to get the perfect fit. Good luck!
the ones I got are mid rise but they really come up to my natural waist....so there should be no issue with them sliding down (I don't think). With that in mind, along with them not being really tight on me and the washing directions for dry in dryer, I decided to dry them (about 80%). This fabric took longer to try than expected. Haven't tried them on again since washing. Hope I didn't do any harm. In the future, I'll line dry as I do my other premium jeans. Once I have them altered I won't want to take a chance on having them shrink.

drying jeans can destroy the lycra (stretchiness) in jeans making them mis-shapen. i never dry my jeans.

Higher temperature dis-integrate the synthetic content in the fabric. The higher the synthetic content, the less tolerant of higher temperature washing & drying. I don't put any of my jeans in the dryer and always use low temperature washing cycle. Cotton on the other hand actually requires a higher temperature and can deal with it much better.

drying jeans can destroy the lycra (stretchiness) in jeans making them mis-shapen. i never dry my jeans.

Higher temperature dis-integrate the synthetic content in the fabric. The higher the synthetic content, the less tolerant of higher temperature washing & drying. I don't put any of my jeans in the dryer and always use low temperature washing cycle. Cotton on the other hand actually requires a higher temperature and can deal with it much better.

I usually line dry my jeans but with this pair I decided to put them in the dryer just one time. Probably a mistake, as of course, they didn't shrink in length enough to make a difference. But they still fit and I've had them shortened. This fabric is different than my other jeans. 29% cotton, 69% viscose, 2% polyurethane. They're soft and comfy, a bit loose in the legs (even tho a size smaller than usual) but no problem with creeping down. My first AG jeans so I don't know if this is typical.
From now on, I'll line dry as with my other jeans.

the ones I got are mid rise but they really come up to my natural waist....so there should be no issue with them sliding down (I don't think). With that in mind, along with them not being really tight on me and the washing directions for dry in dryer, I decided to dry them (about 80%). This fabric took longer to try than expected. Haven't tried them on again since washing. Hope I didn't do any harm. In the future, I'll line dry as I do my other premium jeans. Once I have them altered I won't want to take a chance on having them shrink.
I have a pair of 7FAM with the same percentage of viscose as yours. I washed them and they didn't shrink but it's true the fabric takes longer to dry ( I have no dryer) and I had to iron them, which I avoid doing in general.

I have a pair of 7FAM with the same percentage of viscose as yours. I washed them and they didn't shrink but it's true the fabric takes longer to dry ( I have no dryer) and I had to iron them, which I avoid doing in general.
I didn't have to iron mine. Hope they won't come out wrinkled when I line dry them.

I'm not sorry I got these AG jeans. They're a nice dark wash and come in handy when I need to look a bit more put together. But this fabric wrinkles, as you said. None of my other jeans do this. And the soft material seems to get a big baggy. Seems it's hard to find the perfect jeans. Either the thighs fit and the waist is tight. Or the waist creeps down. But these AG jeans and my other bootcut AGs both have a midrise waist and don't creep down so they're nice and comfortable.

I never do, bad for the spandex/lycra. I air dry mine all the way or most of the way and toss in dryer w/ another load of something to soften them up and remove any wrinkles.