Are they worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Depends. And I'll tell you why!

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters
I am too cheap to spend that much on shoes. But as I have gotten older, I am prioritizing nicely made shoes and leather linings. Leather soles where it makes sense (I prefer some rubber if the intent is for them to be walking workhorses. Trendy shoes need to be $100 and under. The most I have spent is $300.

I don't need to dress up at work but I am much more polished than my coworkers at work - even on a lazy day. I work in tech, sneakers, leggings and plaid shirts or t-shirts are the uniform.

The 2 splurge shoes for me (I.e. The first non boots I have spent more than $200 for) have been great. Comfy and I get loads of compliments.

I love these oxfords I splurged on and I get so so many compliments: http://laxshoes.com/portfolio/school-girl-black/

I have also ordered a few things from M. Gemi. These are well made Italian shoes, but in a direct to consumer way so way less expensive than the actual designer ones. This is a brand I'd recommend if you'd like designer-ish nice shoes. They are a bit like Everlane and partner with small shoemakers in Italy to give them predictable business. The have limited edition shoes and new styles weekly. It is dangerous.

The customer service is also beyond amazing. I placed and order and it sold out before they could fulfill it. Not only did they refund me (duh), they gave me a gift certificate for the value of my order. So I got a free pair of shoes!!!!! I am now a lifelong fan. (The shoes I have picked up are nice too.$ I found out about them in the fall and have since bought 4 pairs - including the freebie.

I have been going to a local boutique with awful clothes but cool mostly Israeli made shoes and have grabbed a few great flats and booties that are well made and interesting. I also have Coach shoes I have picked up on sale. The boutique shoes are great. The department store ones are not as nice anymore. Coach has gone too 90s for me so they are no longer a fave.

Last edited:
I have been going to a local boutique with awful clothes but cool mostly Israeli made shoes and have grabbed a few great flats and booties that are well made and interesting.
I also hear a lot of good things about M Gemi. I'm excited to purchase a pair of shoes from them one day.
I have got to read up more about Israeli fashion. All over etsy and Instagram I see such lovely shoes and sometimes even clothes. It seems to me like they have a ton of great small fashion brands over there and I've always wanted to buy from one. Nice to hear you've had good luck with them.

Reactions: jade
I also hear a lot of good things about M Gemi. I'm excited to purchase a pair of shoes from them one day.
I have got to read up more about Israeli fashion. All over etsy and Instagram I see such lovely shoes and sometimes even clothes. It seems to me like they have a ton of great small fashion brands over there and I've always wanted to buy from one. Nice to hear you've had good luck with them.
I also got these cool Israeli shoes from Daniella Lehavi. They are super comfy and well made: https://www.instagram.com/p/8sZ4uPB9wK/
She has really interesting bags too!

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
I selected "depends". For the most part, I think women's premium designer shoes are overpriced and you're only paying for the name and look. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most men's shoes are better constructed than a lot of women's shoes out there.

I don't like to spend money on shoes; my threshold is $300 for a pair and even then I try to spend well below that. I own a couple pairs of Gucci dress shoes, Everlane shoes, Rainbow sandals, and a couple smaller brands that use high quality leather. I love my Guccis; the leather uppers are just excellent quality and are the most beautiful pairs of shoes in my collection. However, the soles are delicate and I can't bring myself to wear them outside because I'd need to have them resoled immediately. I've mostly worn them inside when I'm in the office. They also don't have good arch support as the insoles of both pairs aren't cushioned at all. I bought these at DSW so they're older models and therefore paid significantly less than retail on them.

The Everlanes are probably the best constructed. Leather uppers aren't as nice as the Guccis but the soles are more durable and I don't feel like I have to baby them. I am actually looking to buy another pair of loafers from them since I just got mine last week. I just love this brand! Because of them, I've been looking at other brands like M. Gemi and looking at some Italian made shoes from J. Crew.

The last brand I own multiples of is Rainbow sandals. I know they're not premium designer and they're not aesthetically pleasing, but they're extremely well-made flip flops. I can't imagine wearing any cute pair of sandals or flats since owning these; they're super comfortable, provide arch support, and actually mold to your feet in time. They have an outlet shop in Orange County and I always buy pairs since I love them so much.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
It's worth it to me to buy shoes that fit. I had no problem buying Nine West, I did have a problem stepping out of the shoes and the loud noises they made as they slopped off my foot. I purchased Via Spiga which was great for years until they hit a quality issue and the styles stopped appealing. By then I had a taste of Casadei Moma, Guiseppi Zanotti., The rest is history. It does seem that the economic down turn of 2008/2009 reduced our selections, however. I have a blend. I've held on to all of my fancy Stuart Weitzman sandals. I've got everything from Vivier, Prada, Mui Mui and Ferragamo. I've got Choos as well and have decided to discontinue purchase of Loubs though some of the styles are amazing. I wish there was more Brian Atwood available. I just purchased Pierre Hardy loafers and they were simply exquisite. I receive many compliments given they are ice blue which is unusual for a loafer.

I suppose you can sum my love of designer shoes up to the clean design lines (there is just a way they conform to one's foot) and fit.

Cirque.jpg

i basically only wear Ferragamo (vara, varina, carla). I first got a vintage pair from my mom (made in 80s) and they still look good and current. after that, i am hooked! comfy (i have wide feet), classic and long lasting <-- true invetsment purchase for me

Reactions: CrazyCool01