Preloved purchase

Tabbscat

Sep 12, 2012
Hi Chanel lovers. I am new to the brand and am thinking of buying a Preloved timeless tote. The seller purchased it from fashionfile so it comes with a receipt from them. My concern is it does not come with the Chanel authenticity card or dustbag. Is this a big deal for resale? Would you buy a Preloved bag without these things? Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. [emoji4]

For some reason, the logic behind which I cannot fathom, people place a high value on the authenticity card. The card is the least reliable, easiest thing to fabricate. I think if resale is a priority, I would think carefully before buying anything less than ¨a complete set.¨ Just my opinion.
I am concerned that a Fashionphile receipt can also be reproduced or faked easily.....

i buy and sell my bags a lot. i've never had an issue with not having the authenticity card/receipts/etc. for sales and i've never paid more or less because the card was or wasn't there. it's value is pretty minimal when you resell... a bag won't go from 2500 to 3000 just b/c it has a card with it, you're just going to be able to sell it faster than a bag that might not have the card.

If it's for a great price, I would definitely buy a bag w/o dustbag or authenticity card. Of course I'd have it authenticated first. Resale isn't a priority for me though.

If resale value is important then you may not want to look at bags without "full set" - but then again if your plan is consigning it to resellers rather than selling to individual buyers, it seems that authenticity card, etc does not make much difference in how much they offer you, from what I have heard/read.

As a long time Chanel owner (over 30 years+), I have sold some of my Chanels with and without the authenticity card (as I misplaced them over time), and it is easier to resale with the card. I have had buyers try to drive down the price way low for the bags without the cards.....

I guess I'm of a different mind. No authenticity card = no buy to me. JMHO.

When I buy pre-owned, I really do want a full set and preferably one owner if possible. A full set tells me that the owner has taken extra care with the item when storing and when using.

That's the way I take care of my luxury items and that's what I expect from a seller too.

Of course I never buy anything that hasn't been authenticated. I've had to pass on some really nice Chanel handbags because I just can't get an authentication without sending the handbag in to the authenticator, and I don't have the time to do that, so no buy. Oh well, another one that I can't live without always comes around.

HTH. :smile:

I guess I'm of a different mind. No authenticity card = no buy to me. JMHO.

When I buy pre-owned, I really do want a full set and preferably one owner if possible. A full set tells me that the owner has taken extra care with the item when storing and when using.

That's the way I take care of my luxury items and that's what I expect from a seller too.

Of course I never buy anything that hasn't been authenticated. I've had to pass on some really nice Chanel handbags because I just can't get an authentication without sending the handbag in to the authenticator, and I don't have the time to do that, so no buy. Oh well, another one that I can't live without always comes around.

HTH. :smile:

I agree with you Tulip2. I have one preloved Chanel. It took me a long time to find the one that I felt was truly my bag. It came with all the bells and whistles including the ribbon and camellia and that made me feel that the bag was truly preloved. I have also passed on quite a few bags that were in great condition but did not have a card. I know that the card does not add or take away value from the bag and has no meaning when you are rocking your bag. I guess its just my thing.

Tabbscat be patient the right bag in the right condition will come along. ;)

Last edited:
Not going to get a high resale price without the authenticity card it if that is your long term plan.....

I have sold plenty of chanel without the card and honestly have not noticed a decrease in the amount I get. I take many detailed pics and get a cert of authenticity from Etincelers. I think often the main time you may get less is with a re-seller.

Not going to get a high resale price without the authenticity card it if that is your long term plan.....
I agree if you don't have detailed, clear and thorough photos but I have sold plenty of chanel without the card and honestly have not noticed a decrease in the amount I get:smile:I take many detailed pics and get a cert of authenticity from Etincelers. I think often the main time you may get less is with a re-seller.

Thank you all so much for all of your feedback! This makes me much more comfortable. It is so hard when you are new to a brand and it helps me feel a little better :smile:. I think I am going to wait until I find a "full set" because I agree it does kinda show that the bag has been really looked after. That being said, I am sure there are lots of beautiful beauties out there without cards and dustbags. I wish I could buy new for my first Chanel and I guess I could wait and keep saving to do that....but ouch, those new Chanel prices sting! [emoji6]

Hi Chanel lovers. I am new to the brand and am thinking of buying a Preloved timeless tote. The seller purchased it from fashionfile so it comes with a receipt from them. My concern is it does not come with the Chanel authenticity card or dustbag. Is this a big deal for resale? Would you buy a Preloved bag without these things? Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. [emoji4]

For me, its important, however, one of my vintage pieces didn't come with one and I made an exception because it's such a RARE piece. I just couldn't pass it up.

No red flags though with that purchase as I got it from a trusted TPF reseller site and it was authenticated by Etinceler.