Preloved LV Speedy B 30 DE Purchase Question: Which is more desirable?

Which Bag Do I Buy Preloved in Excellent Condition?

• Total voters

jennchick2

Feb 23, 2014
Hello, All!
As it says above, I am currently purchasing a preloved LV Speedy B 30 in DE. I have ordered a few (from Fashionphile and YC). They range in age from a 2012 made in USA with flat chaps, to a 2014 made in France with puffy chaps, and a 2017 with puffy chaps. Here's my dilemma. I can't really decide which one to keep.
All are in excellent condition with no visible signs of wear, and all are priced similarly. Here is some more info:

-The 2012 made in USA comes with flat chaps comes with dust bag, lock and keys, box, and strap extender
-The 2014 made in France comes with puffy chaps, strap extender, dust bag. No lock or keys (which doesn't bug me- I wouldn't use them).
-The 2017 made in USA comes with puffy chaps, interior zip pocket, lock and keys (with pouch), strap extender, tags, and 2 dust bags.

So, now I have to decide which is the best option to keep. Believe it or not, the 2014 is the priciest, at $1,350, even though it has the fewest bells and whistles. I don't know why that is. I haven't purchased anything LV before, but I have read a lot on these forums and watched a bazillion YouTube videos, so I feel like I know a little bit. Does anyone have advice/opinions on which might make the best purchase based on good manufacturing years, design-features during certain years, manufacturer's location, etc? I'd appreciate any opinions you can offer. Thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: IntheOcean
Hello, All!
As it says above, I am currently purchasing a preloved LV Speedy B 30 in DE. I have ordered a few (from Fashionphile and YC). They range in age from a 2012 made in USA with flat chaps, to a 2014 made in France with puffy chaps, and a 2017 with puffy chaps. Here's my dilemma. I can't really decide which one to keep.
All are in excellent condition with no visible signs of wear, and all are priced similarly. Here is some more info:

-The 2012 made in USA comes with flat chaps comes with dust bag, lock and keys, box, and strap extender
-The 2014 made in France comes with puffy chaps, strap extender, dust bag. No lock or keys (which doesn't bug me- I wouldn't use them).
-The 2017 made in USA comes with puffy chaps, interior zip pocket, lock and keys (with pouch), strap extender, tags, and 2 dust bags.

So, now I have to decide which is the best option to keep. Believe it or not, the 2014 is the priciest, at $1,350, even though it has the fewest bells and whistles. I don't know why that is. I haven't purchased anything LV before, but I have read a lot on these forums and watched a bazillion YouTube videos, so I feel like I know a little bit. Does anyone have advice/opinions on which might make the best purchase based on good manufacturing years, design-features during certain years, manufacturer's location, etc? I'd appreciate any opinions you can offer. Thanks so much for your help!

So I’m guessing you’re based in the US? I’m in the UK and a brand new Speedy 30b direct from LV is £965 (about $1225) so I would not dream of paying over that for a second hand one!

Anyway, out of the three options, my most important feature for me would be the newest bag. Particularly if you are looking at DE as I’d be concerned about red corners on an older one. I personally would not buy a Speedy older than 3 years unless it was barely used. I think they can look ‘worn’ after lots of use. I would also prefer made in France as these are more appealing if you may want to resell in the future, but here in the UK we do not see a lot of made in USA items so perhaps that’s why. Out of your three options I would not buy the 2014 one as it is missing the lock and keys and, IMO, therefore overpriced for the age and missing accessories.

Are you in a position to just buy a new one from LV?

So I’m guessing you’re based in the US? I’m in the UK and a brand new Speedy 30b direct from LV is £965 (about $1225) so I would not dream of paying over that for a second hand one!

Anyway, out of the three options, my most important feature for me would be the newest bag. Particularly if you are looking at DE as I’d be concerned about red corners on an older one. I personally would not buy a Speedy older than 3 years unless it was barely used. I think they can look ‘worn’ after lots of use. I would also prefer made in France as these are more appealing if you may want to resell in the future, but here in the UK we do not see a lot of made in USA items so perhaps that’s why. Out of your three options I would not buy the 2014 one as it is missing the lock and keys and, IMO, therefore overpriced for the age and missing accessories.

Are you in a position to just buy a new one from LV?
Hello! Thank you for your reply! So, yes, I am in the US, and the DE Speedy B 30 is $1,450 new. I could swing the brand new price; however I am considering preloved for a variety of reasons. First, because I have read (on this forum and others), that the quality of LV has been a bit better in older bags. I also avoid paying tax when buying preloved (almost $100), as well as continue the cycle of reuse, which I try to do with all of my luxury items. I haven't bought a brand new bag or SLG from the store in years. Just one (really, really) small way of many In which I try and help the environment :smile:.
All of the bags are in like new condition (I have all of them and am trying to decide which to keep and which to send back). I have read that chipping of the hardware has been an issue as of late, and that overall quality has been an issue. I am trying to determine which bag is the best quality for value based on when and where it was produced, and which features are most important. LV is a new brand for me (I have previously purchased primarily Hermes and Chanel), so I am not familiar with the years where folks had quality issues, and which were good years for LV. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! ❤

Honestly for these prices I would buy the new and maybe ask for a date code before 2019 made in France if that's an issue for you.
It's not worth it to buy a bag of 2014 without half of the stuff for 100$ less in my opinion. If I really had to choose between the three of them I guess I would go for 2017 one (however why 2 dust bags, did she exchange?)

I would go with the newer bag too. They have changed the leather trim on the DE in recent years and it is a lot better in my opinion. I think there is less chance of cracking in the future. I don't really care about the "Made in France" but for resale people do seem to like those bags better. Get what you like but in this case, I would not get the 2014 bag with those missing items, especially for that price. You might compare the leather on the bags. Is the 2017 the less shiny version? If so I think it will hold up better in the long run. If the saving isn't significant.....I would purchase new.

Since you have the bags with you, do you see a difference on the DE leather between the 2017 and 2014?
Do any of them have wrinkles on the side trim, handles or strap?

Personally I like the puffy chaps, so I would return the oldest one with the flat chaps.
I don’t use the lock on mine, and I would choose between the other two based on which canvas and leather looks and feels better.

I’d probably go for the newest one but I must admit I like MIF if I have a choice. Which one looks better to you? check that piping is straight and the handles have no wrinkles.
Post some pics if you can, gld!

2014,17,19... they will all wear the same. None of those years has superior quality over the other. If it were the 1970’s then the quality would be outstanding but to compare bags from 5 years ago makes no difference imo! I would just get new tbh.