Pre-owned speedy: Should I buy it?

Dee.

Dec 9, 2010
Hi everyone! I hope I'm posting in the right sub-forum

I've been watching an ad on my local Kijiji for a Ebene Speedy 30 that is MIF.
The seller is asking $640 firm.
Retail here with taxes comes to $787.50 CAN

My BF tells me to just save an extra $150 and get a brand new one, but the thing is I want a speedy that is MIF and my local boutique only brings in MIU.
I asked an SA if they could bring in a MIF one for me, and she gave me hard time (probably because I'm "young"? But that's another story lol!)

What does everyone else think?
Is it worth saving $150 and buying a MIF one that's been lightly used, or waiting until my boutique finally gets one in and getting the full LV experience?

TIA! :]

*I just want my speedy to say MIF because it feels a little bit more special. I have nothing against MIU bags!

No contest. Buy the MIF one and use the difference to buy a brand new matching cles. Your chances of finding a MIF bag in the future, new, are slim to none. The DE speedy will look brand new for years. There is a difference now in quality. I would grab the MIF one in a heartbeat, even if it was only $50 difference in price. You can get the "boutique experience" (which is highly overrated to be honest) by getting a brand new cles to match your beautiful bag.

Before I said yes, I'd check with another SA or even at another Louis Vuitton boutique - if you're going through Holts, check at a flagship or vice versa, if you can. If you can't really get to a LV store, then disregard. If you possibly can get an MIF new, I'd go to the store.

If you really can't get a reasonably one quickly or quick enough, then go for the used. But I don't think the $150 off is such a great deal to jump on this - only if there's no possibility new. If you check out some of the MIF threads, you might be able to get some friendly SA suggestions in your city or from other residents in your city.

No contest. Buy the MIF one and use the difference to buy a brand new matching cles. Your chances of finding a MIF bag in the future, new, are slim to none. The DE speedy will look brand new for years. There is a difference now in quality. I would grab the MIF one in a heartbeat, even if it was only $50 difference in price. You can get the "boutique experience" (which is highly overrated to be honest) by getting a brand new cles to match your beautiful bag.

Thank you for that voice of reason! The LV experience? It's a store like any other and with the current decline in quality and craftsmanship I would scoop that Speedy DE up in a heartbeat! Just make sure you get the bag authenticated here before paying!

That's what I'm thinking too; what if a MIF one never shows up again? Then I missed my chance.
I know for sure that I won't ever buy a speedy that's MIU, I am firm on getting one MIF.
I actually might have to get a new cles because I broke mine :[

Cait: There is only the LV inside Holt Renfrew in my city.
But I'm thinking of asking my aunt to ask them for me, since she has been a customer for over 25 years. I bet they won't even think twice if she asked, whereas they scolded me for being picky.
They'll probably try harder to bring in an item for a long-time client right?

twin-fun For sure :] Thank you

I guess by "boutique experience" I meant getting the box, tags, and shopping bag, and getting my bff some commission haha! I like getting all the little things that come with designer bags.
The pre-owned one only comes with the dust bag, which isn't too bad I guess.
Funny though, the seller should have everything else because they only bought it like 5 months ago

I guess by "boutique experience" I meant getting the box, tags, and shopping bag, and getting my bff some commission haha! I like getting all the little things that come with designer bags.
Funny though, the seller should have everything else because they only bought it like 5 months ago

There really aren't any tags to speak of that you would need or want to keep. It's a tiny paper tag in the pocket. LVs don't have tags on them. SAs usually toss the tiny little paper tags before giving it to you. If tou decide to sell, any savvy buyer is going to realize those paper tags dont prove anything. They can be essily faked on any computer. Ive never gotten a tag anyway at the boutique. Our boutiqe throws them out prior to wrapping the bag.

It isn't good to store your LVs in a box. I throw my boxes and bags away the minute I get home but usually tell them to skip the box. They wouldn't give you box bug enough to store a speedy unfolded anyway and you should never store a speedy folded long term or in a box. You can use a clean cotton pillow case for a dust bag if you want one.

The dust bag that comes with a speedy is useless anyway. It only fits a folded speedy. It's just a flat cotton envelope. The speedy has to be crushed flat to fit in it. Not a good way to store a speedy long term. You can get permanent cracking of the canvas over a long period of time.

I also have seen people get mold and breakdown of leather vachetta and treated leather in bags stored in dustbags and boxes both. Your closet shelf will be fine. I never ever store LV bags in a box ever. If your really worried about dust, a pretty pillowcase with your bag stored in it with an air pillow inside the bag is far superior.

Last edited:

definitely get the MIF if the seller bought it new 5 months ago!

Guess I'm lucky I bought my speedy B in France a month ago :smile: It keeps more of its resale value.
And they didn't give me a box for it in Paris but I asked for a box here at home in Palm Beach and they gave me the big one that you don't have to flatten the bag to put it in. For now I just use it as storage for other stuff. I'm glad they didn't give me the small box. It was a pain in the rear to bike it back home though lol. I didn't even think about the box issue till I got home to the US.

So go for the french one. You can always get a box later esp if she gives you a copy of her receipt? Or tell them you bought it in Paris and they didn't give you a box for travel purposes and they should give you one if you want it. I didn't have to show them anything but I had the bag with me.

There really aren't any tags to speak of that you would need or want to keep. It's a tiny paper tag in the pocket. LVs don't have tags on them. SAs usually toss the tiny little paper tags before giving it to you. If tou decide to sell, any savvy buyer is going to realize those paper tags dont prove anything. They can be essily faked on any computer. Ive never gotten a tag anyway at the boutique. Our boutiqe throws them out prior to wrapping the bag.

It isn't good to store your LVs in a box. I throw my boxes and bags away the minute I get home but usually tell them to skip the box. They wouldn't give you box bug enough to store a speedy unfolded anyway and you should never store a speedy folded long term or in a box. You can use a clean cotton pillow case for a dust bag if you want one.

The dust bag that comes with a speedy is useless anyway. It only fits a folded speedy. It's just a flat cotton envelope. The speedy has to be crushed flat to fit in it. Not a good way to store a speedy long term. You can get permanent cracking of the canvas over a long period of time.

I also have seen people get mold and breakdown of leather vachetta and treated leather in bags stored in dustbags and boxes both. Your closet shelf will be fine. I never ever store LV bags in a box ever. If your really worried about dust, a pretty pillowcase with your bag stored in it with an air pillow inside the bag is far superior.

Now that you mention it I remember: the speedy only fits in its dust bag when folding. I never kept my previous speedy in its dust bag! Thanks for reminding me :]

I do like the big boxes for other storage though. But a box isn't a big deal.
Oh they threw out the tags for you? I always got the little paper tag with my purchases. I guess it just depends on the SA?

19flowers It sounds really new right?! If I do decide to purchase, then I will inspect every inch of that bag just to make sure I'm not getting anything that clearly shows signs of usage

LadyEnoki Oh I guess that's true, my friend would probably get me one if I ask him to. I really only like the big plastic, flexible boxes they have.

Decisions decisions :[

i'd rather pay the bit extra and have a new bag... most of my bags are MIU and it doesn't bother me!! as long as the bag is perfeect to me it's okay!! but if you really want a MIF one then buy it!!! just make sure it's authentic!!!;)

I totally agree that the so-called LV experience is highly overrated. What I don't find overrated, though, is the security of knowing that I didn't just drop money on a fake.

I would go back to Holts and hassle them, if it's that important to you. Or find one from a reputable dealer.

If you really want a MiF bag then sure, get the preloved one, provided it's in great condition - and make sure to have it authenticated here first!

I agree with those who have said the 'boutique expreience' is overrated. Sure, it's nice to walk out with a big brown bag and get the extras like a box and a dust bag, particularly if it's your first bag... but if a MiF Speedy will make you happier, buying in-store is not a big deal.

I would go for MIF myself. My first LV was a pre-owned Trevi and it is MIF. I have since bought addition pre-loved and new at boutique...I don't think the boutique experience is anything particularly that special, but that is just me. I don't keep my purses in the boxes and I actually got rid of the one my Artsy came in because it was HUGE!! But pick which is more important to you (and it sounds like MIF is for your first bag) and buy what will get you that.

I say get a fresh new one. That meaningless little heat stamp becomes so unimportant. I have a MIF Speedy 35 and when I compared it in the store to a MIU after I owned it for months my "precious" MIF speedy looks likes it was sewn by a ten year old and all the MIU were perfect and beautiful. I think all the newbies are so concerned about MIF but I have been buying LV for a long time and there is NO difference just geography.