Pre-loved Cartier - With or without Box/Papers?

zombie1986

O.G.
Sep 14, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy myself a pre-loved cartier watch for my Birthday this year. Having lusted over it for well over 3 years now, I think its time :smile: Still trying to decide between Ballon Bleu and Tank Francaise. But my main question is
How important is it to buy a pre-loved Cartier watch with Cartier Box and Papers?
Does it mean that the watch would still be under warranty with Cartier?
If someone can explain me how the Cartier papers work, I would highly appreciate it! :smile:

Thanks a lot for reading and replying :smile:

The warranty explanation on the site is pretty long and comprehensive, so I recommend reading it line by line, carefully.
One excerpt "IN ORDER TO BENEFIT FROM THIS CARTIER LIMITED WARRANTY, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PRESENT TO ANY CARTIER BOUTIQUE, CARTIER AUTHORIZED RETAILER OR CARTIER AUTHORIZED AFTER-SALES SERVICE CENTER, THE CARTIER GUARANTEE CERTIFICATE SITUATED AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS BOOKLET, DULY COMPLETED, DATED, STAMPED AND SIGNED BY A CARTIER BOUTIQUE OR A CARTIER AUTHORIZED RETAILER. PLEASE BE CERTAIN TO RETAIN THIS CERTIFICATE. "

Also it is only 2 year warranty and seems pretty restrictive...

Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy myself a pre-loved cartier watch for my Birthday this year. Having lusted over it for well over 3 years now, I think its time :smile: Still trying to decide between Ballon Bleu and Tank Francaise. But my main question is
How important is it to buy a pre-loved Cartier watch with Cartier Box and Papers?
Does it mean that the watch would still be under warranty with Cartier?
If someone can explain me how the Cartier papers work, I would highly appreciate it! :smile:

Thanks a lot for reading and replying :smile:
When my watches have been in for new batteries and one repair (which was when the watch was eight years old, and there was no charge for the repair), I have not been required to show certificate/receipt. I do send them to Cartier direct.

If the watch was originally purchased and the papers were stamped & signed by the boutique/AD more than 2 years ago than the watch is no longer under warranty. The box and papers just help with authenticating a watch and to some collectors they add value to it (hence a watch with box and papers usually costs more, but it is always worth more than watch in similar condition without them).

I think box and papers are nice to have but not essential.

Cartier's watch warranty is only for 2 years. Thereafter you'll have to pay so you don't even need the certificate. And Cartier doesn't need the certificate to identify the authenticity of their own product.

Good luck deciding! I got a ballon bleu a year ago but im pretty sure I'll be getting the tank francaise soon too :smile:

Reactions: Mali_
Thanks for chiming in everyone. Thats exactly what I wanted to know, if there is any inherent advantage of getting a watch with papers other than 'its nice to have'. On a related note, are there any preferred authenticators for cartier watches? I am hoping to buy from an online store like Jomashop which has a pretty good reputation but is there a need to get even that authenticated?

Question along similar lines - I'm looking to purchase a Panthere watch. I've found one pre-owned in "excellent" condition but I've just learned they're relaunching it in a few months. Any reason I should buy new ?

Question along similar lines - I'm looking to purchase a Panthere watch. I've found one pre-owned in "excellent" condition but I've just learned they're relaunching it in a few months. Any reason I should buy new ?

Buying new it would have a full warranty, no scratches, hasn't been polished (losing some crisp lines ...you always lose a little metal with polishing), and none of the wear and tear that goes with owning and older watch like a Panthere. Some of those bracelets have a lot of stretch (when dirt and grime isn't regularly cleaned from the bracelet links it acts like sandpaper between the links) weakening them and causing the bracelets to look stretched out. The advantage to pre-owned, it will probably cost a lot less than new. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hello. Great thread. On a side note, I purchased a pre-loved Cartier Tank Francaise automatic about 2 years ago, from a reputable seller and without papers or box. In Jan 2017, it started to loose time, so I took it to the Cartier boutique in Dallas. They did a full service treatment in about 3 weeks, and sent it back in better than new condition. They even sent back it in a new pretty red velvet box :smile:

Hello. Great thread. On a side note, I purchased a pre-loved Cartier Tank Francaise automatic about 2 years ago, from a reputable seller and without papers or box. In Jan 2017, it started to loose time, so I took it to the Cartier boutique in Dallas. They did a full service treatment in about 3 weeks, and sent it back in better than new condition. They even sent back it in a new pretty red velvet box :smile:

Thats good to know Pmrbay. Thanks for pitching in [emoji4]

On another note, I went to Cartier to try the watches. I was so hoping that the tank francaise would be the one but unfortunately it just looked so mehh.. . I tried the ballon bleu which looked much better and also the rolex datejust 31 in two tone. My husband thinks both look good but wanted to know you guys think as well. I love the rolex and the way they make their watches but its way out of my budget and I will have to save up for a few months before I am able to buy it. The BB is an affordable choice for now but I dont know if I should save that money up for the Rolex. Your opinion is much appreciated!

Excuse my husband's hand. I have very thin wrists so he was holding onto the links for the pictures :smile:

IMG_1487125514.313917.jpgIMG_1487125529.701864.jpgIMG_1487125579.201610.jpg

On another note, I went to Cartier to try the watches. I was so hoping that the tank francaise would be the one but unfortunately it just looked so mehh.. . I tried the ballon bleu which looked much better and also the rolex datejust 31 in two tone. My husband thinks both look good but wanted to know you guys think as well. I love the rolex and the way they make their watches but its way out of my budget and I will have to save up for a few months before I am able to buy it. The BB is an affordable choice for now but I dont know if I should save that money up for the Rolex. Your opinion is much appreciated!

Excuse my husband's hand. I have very thin wrists so he was holding onto the links for the pictures :smile:

View attachment 3605961View attachment 3605962View attachment 3605964

My vote is for the BB.

@zombie1986 - glad my thoughts could help a little :smile:

All three of your choices are so pretty. I'd have a hard time deciding too. My next wish-list item is a Rolex 36mm with pink dial. If you can wait, the Rolex is an awesome choice. :smile:

View attachment 3605961View attachment 3605962View attachment 3605964
Another vote for the BB! It looks very nice on you. Which size is this?

My vote is for the Rolex. I find the BB looks a bit clunky, and I think the Rolex is a better fit. As for the difference in price- a new Rolex comes with a 5 year warranty vs a 2 year from Cartier. and the BB won't hold its value the way a Rolex will. As someone who owns Cartier and Rolex watches, I say save up and get the Rolex. Good luck with whatever you decide.