Prada Outlet nylon bags- where made? Same as sold retail stores?

Sep 29, 2011
I just bought the medium nylon messenger bag from a Prada oulet- (the one with the flap, the 2 buckle closure and the one large zip pocket on the front). And from what I can tell from comparing it on the Prada.com website it is exactly the same. Identical. The price is $500 cheaper though. I asked in the outlet store and they said that maybe the material isn't sourced in Italy. They couldn't tell me for sure where the bag is made, I'm guessing China. There's no tag anywhere that I can find hidden away, and it's not on the auth cards that came with the bag. Anyone know if these are made in China or Italy? I also wonder if it's the exact same bag that's sold in the retail store, instead of a version made for the outlet. I'm just wondering what's going on. Seems like a bargain too good to be true.

The cards that come with the bag should have a product code that you can cross check with the retail version on the Prada website. Maybe the outlet vs retail have slightly different product codes? I’m not entirely sure.

But I’m surprised that the bag doesn’t have a hidden tag that said “made in China” or Italy.

Shouldn't a product - any product - have a 'Made in' tag? Maybe not on the product itself, but at least on the packaging, documentation, etc.? From my understanding, that's the law in most countries.

The 'Made in' tag should be in the inside pocket or in the main compartment sewn into the seam somewhere. It could also be on the metal plaque. It's either 'Prada Milano' or 'Prada Made in Italy'. The latter would suggest that the bag is indeed Italian-made.

If there is no tag to be found anywhere in the bag, then I would assume that yes, it was made in China, but Prada don't want their customers to know that. Personally, that's just one of those things that rub me wrong.

maybe the tag is hidden inside the interior zipper pocket. Pull the lining out and you may find it there. Either retail or outlet, they all real prada bags though, enjoy.:biggrin:

I checked the cards. The numbers are all the same except for the 3 in the middle. I have really scoured the bag. All I found was 29 on a tiny white tag at the bottom of the main compartment. I've run my hands around the insides of all the zippers, every crevasse. I dont want to turn it inside out and ruin the shape. I took a flashlight to every corner. The metal triangle on the front says Milano but so do the ones on the retail site. What I like about this more than the retail version is that it's got firmness and shape. It stands up on it's own where the retail bag just folded in on itself. Doesn't matter. I'm keeping it. I was just super curious. Thank you for all your replies.

Reactions: IntheOcean
Good for you. I have a Marc Jacobs nylong bag I use during Covid. I am looking for a Prada one and plan to visit the outlet by month end.

Someone replied here and said "They're all real Prada bags.." and that's so true. Doesn't matter that it's from the outlet. I'm still examining it and as far as I can see, it's the very same as the retail bags. If you see one I highly recommend picking it up. I used it today and I just loved it. Dragged it through a horribly crowded mall (Virus? What Virus?!) and a grocery store. Comfortable. Easy to get in and out. Why do they have buckles and not magnets??? It's 2020 not 1980! You would think as designers they would get with the program but.....

Not to keep harping on this but I found this on a pre loved website - a nylon messenger bag "Made in India". Everyone expects China. Was not expecting to see India. Dollars to donuts it's an outlet bag. I still love my bag. I'm not turning it inside out to find the Made in tag. I don't care if it was made on Mars. I've been using it since I bought it and I think it's great. But this surprised me.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.47.34 PM.png

Dana Thomas wrote an indepth book about the fashion industry. Deluxe, how luxury lost it's lusture. And it does.

In the book she claims that it doesn't matter where the bag is made. Made in Italy or made in France is something that matters to the buyer and doesn't say anything about quality.

There are brands that get the bags made in China, India, where ever. Let it ship to Italy, France, where ever. In those countries they finish the bag off. Like put buckles or zippers in it. And that is the only thing they need to justify the made in Italy, France or where ever label.

Since I read that I really don't care where a bag is from. I buy because I love the bag, the craftmanship, the brand ect. but not the where it's made label anymore.

I’ve purchased three different bags from the Prada outlet on the same day. All three bags were made in different places: One was made in India, one in Italy, and one in Romania. There should be a tag somewhere in the bag. The tag can be difficult to find.

I do agree it doesn't matter where the item is made, as long as the workers are treated and compensated fairly for their labor.

However, the accusation of most of the product made in China and shipped to Italy to be finished, I feel is mostly unfounded among the giant luxury brands. I read Thomas' work and her allegation didn't implicate a brand and was vague. I couldn't find any other major source that corroborated her statements.

Plus I find it interesting that our favorite luxury brands have been busted for subcontracting, labor violations, environmentally unsustainable practices, and Prato again and again, yet no exposé of manufacturing the product in China and minor finishing in Italy.

When I went to the Mall outlet Tuscany, I could tell the outlet products were of a lower quality than the stores. The Prada leather was alot more floppy for the WOC and I noticed when I went to Gucci, the logo was in a different spot compared to what was online.
I have heard some products are purposely produced for the outlet or they sell 'mistake' items there.
Whilst the cost was 1/4 of retail, I didn't end up buying any items from the outlet due to the quality.
Nevertheless, I would go back to enjoy the experience of the overall outlet.