Prada Leather and Color Guide

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. When I was researching about Prada for some bags and wallets I was looking at, saw this from a July 2011 post by TPF member r15324, on Prada leather which was very useful. See link here: http://forum.purseblog.com/prada/prada-materials-and-leathers-101-a-696079.html. Reposting it now for reference.

==========

PRADA Materials and Leathers 101
    Common Basic Materials/Textiles

Tessuto/Vela - A double woven nylon introduced in 1978 by Miuccia Prada taking inspiration from the durable parachute materials in usage at the time.

Nylon Jacquard - A nylon with a cross-weaving pattern needed to create visual detailings.

Canapa - Canvas, usually cotton.

Pailettes - Sequins, usually on canvas

Common Basic Leathers

Cavallino - Name refers to pony-hair which was commonly used in the past. Today, it is natural hair-on-calfskin.

Cinghiale - Pigskin leather; extremely tough and durable skin recognisable by its triplet pore pattern.

Vitello/Vitello Lux - Calfskin. A soft and supple leather of medium durability and strength. Very similar to Hermès Box leather.

Vitello Daino - A calfskin which has been treated to imitate the feel of deerskin, whilst maintaining the strength and durability of bull-skin. Very similar to Miu Miu's Vitello Caribu leather and Hermès Clémence leather.

Cervo - Wild deerskin. Most, if not all cervo bags will come with a tag stating the leather. An extremely soft and 'buttery' leather, usually with marks that the animal has received in the wild. Deer cannot be farmed viably and is thus sourced from the wild.

Nappa - Lambskin. A soft and luxurious leather with an extremely fine grain. Nappa is one of the thinnest skins available and is thus highly sought after for use in objects needing great detail.

Struzzo - Ostrich. Generally from the back of the animal. A tough leather instantly recognisable by the characteristic bumps visible from where the feathers of the animal have been removed.

Camoscio - Goatskin suede.

Scamosciato - Calfskin suede.

Saffiano/Saffiano Lux - A calfskin with a synthetic grain which has been heat-stamped, or 'fire-marked' into the leather for added durability and resistance to physical wear. Very similar to Louis Vuitton Taïga leather and Hermès Epsom leather.

Motone - Sheepskin. A tough leather characterised by its crinkled look. Usually presented with its original wool.

Cocco - An instantly recognisable skin from a crocodile. Younger skins will exhibit smaller scales which are not viable for use in most products. As such, Cocco is an expensive leather.

Vernice - A calf or lambskin leather with a plastic coating. Commonly known as patent leather.

Group names

PRADA categorises their products in groups. Usually, this exists as the material, plus the identifying adjective. Eg.

Saffiano Righe - 'Saffiano leather', in the style of 'Righe', linear patterned colours.

Nappa Antik - 'Nappa' leather, in the 'Antik' distressed leather style.

Vernice Fiocco - 'Vernice' leather with 'Fiocco' bow detailing.

Tessuto Gauffré - 'Nylon' in the 'Gauffré' gathered style.

etc.

===============

Bratty1919 likes this.
  3. Unfortunately I haven't seem any, but if you do some research on the web you might find the translations one by one, it's just a little tedious. We should totally start one though, it would be super useful. I can start from what I know, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Fuoco - red
    2. Bluette - cornflower blue
    3. Cobalto - cobalt blue
    4. Cameo - blush
    5. Nero - black
    6. Viola - violet purple
    7. Ibisco - hibiscus (a deeper pink)

4. You can't edit my post but you can just write it in a different reply.

I've also attached a photo I found on the internet with several (not all) of the available colours in the Saffiano tote line.

Prada Galleria Tote 02 - Copy - Copy.jpg Prada Galleria Tote 02 - Copy.jpg
  5. 1. Fuoco - red
    3. Cobalto - cobalt blue
    4. Cameo - blush
    5. Nero - black
    6. Viola - violet purple
    8. Arancio - Orange
    9. Fumo - grey with brownish undertones
    10. Militaire - dark olive green with brownish undertones
    11. Caramel - light brown/light tan

6. 1. Fuoco - red
    3. Cobalto - cobalt blue
    4. Cameo - blush
    5. Nero - black
    6. Viola - violet purple
    8. Arancio - Orange
    9. Fumo - grey with brownish undertones
    10. Militaire - dark olive green with brownish undertones
    11. Caramel - light brown/light tan
    12. Ottanio - teal
    13. Papaya - orange

The greenish colour above the orange is ottanio, which is teal.

7. Newbie here, but I thought Prada also had a "Rosso" color which is red?

I speak a little Italian, so I can tell you that "Fuoco" means "fire" and "Rosso" is Italian for red. I have seems pics of red Prada bags with both names, and Fuoco ones look more bright red, whereas the Rosso ones are a deeper red color.

I hope I am not getting confused with fakes but I am pretty sure I saw both colors listed on the Prada website, or past collections.

Bratty1919 likes this.
  8. I was in the Prada outlet in Bicester and they have wallets made of a new type of leather called "Vitello Move". This appeared to be similar to LV's Epi leather. According to the SA this has only been in the outlet for the last few months?

9. Very helpful, thank you!

10. thanks for this!