Prada in Wall Street Journal

Ryan

O.G.
Feb 8, 2006
I hope this hasn't been posted already. There was a great article in the weekend Wall Street Journal about Prada. You can find it here: http://magazine.wsj.com/features/the-big-interview/miuccia-and-me/

I'll just pull out my favorite quotes below. It addresses the "Made In" issue that gets floated around here frequently (most usually quoting the book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost it's Luster by Dana Thomas).

While the Prada brand is 98 percent made in Italy, about half of Miu Miu handbags are made in Turkey and Romania, and 70 percent of the sporty Linea Rossa shoes are produced in Vietnam. Bertelli’s roots lie deep in one of Italy’s artisanal heartlands, and Prada runs 13 factories with 3,500 workers in the country. But Bertelli is unapologetic about his decision to make some products abroad—as long as there are quality controls. He believes firmly that consumers should learn to trust a brand name, regardless of where it’s made, and that “made by Prada” should be just as trustworthy a label as “made in Italy.”

That’s a controversial statement in a country that has been struggling to protect its once-thriving textile industry from cheaper Chinese goods. “If a product is not made in Italy, that doesn’t mean that it’s made badly—saying so borders on racism,” Bertelli says. The real problem, he says, is that since every country has different rules regarding how to label their imports—U.S. and Japanese markets have stricter “made in” rules than Europe, for example—many companies attach different “made in” tags depending on where the products are sold.

“That’s bulls—. If a product is made in Italy, then we’ll put the ‘made in Italy’ tag; if it’s made in China, we’ll put the ‘made in China’ tag, and if it’s made in Turkey, we’ll say so. Others aren’t as honest, but you see, Miuccia and I have never thought of our public as idiots.”

“That’s bulls—. If a product is made in Italy, then we’ll put the ‘made in Italy’ tag; if it’s made in China, we’ll put the ‘made in China’ tag, and if it’s made in Turkey, we’ll say so. Others aren’t as honest, but you see, Miuccia and I have never thought of our public as idiots.”

I have a feeling...I'm gonna be loving prada a lot more now :biggrin:

"Others aren't as honest, but you see, Miuccia and I have never thought of our public as idiots.”

LMAO! Riiiiiight--that's why you put in pleather linings and thought you could get away with calling it leather. Or not calling it anything and thinking your SAs and your "public" would buy it hook, line and sinker (which many have, unfortunately). If we don't boycott it, it just gives them the message that we ARE idiots, and then the quality continues to go down. UGH.

I believe some Prada are "Made In China", to be exact "Made In Hong Kong". It is a known fact, Prada Repair Center is in Hong Kong, they no longer send items in need of repair to Italy instead they are send to Hong Kong. In term of after sales service, Prada is ok at least they offer repair services for their products. Some Premium Label don't even do so for example Fendi.

I believe some Prada are "Made In China", to be exact "Made In Hong Kong". It is a known fact, Prada Repair Center is in Hong Kong, they no longer send items in need of repair to Italy instead they are send to Hong Kong. In term of after sales service, Prada is ok at least they offer repair services for their products. Some Premium Label don't even do so for example Fendi.

Fendi 'fixed' my Spy, but it came back more ruined than before I sent it...

I see. From my understanding, Fendi do not have their own repair center, their repair are done by third party provider might not be big company or factory. My SA even direct me to a repair store so i can get repair done there myself at a lower fee. I simply don't understand, we pay so much for their bags, they don't provide aftersales service like repair, it's ridiculous.

Since Fendi accepted your spy for repair, it's ruined, you should ask them for resolution or replace a new one for you. I would, in such circumstances, they probably will replace a new piece for you if possible or offer you a discount for you to purchase a new bag. In any case they cannot charge you for any repair fee since it is not done properly. I had their Selleria Messenger, leather got bleeding problem, my SA just direct me to a repair store to have it redye myself, she said even if i pass to them they send it to the same store but they will charge a higher fee. It's so stupid, instead of doing that i simply tucked that bag away, i rarely buy Fendi now, I am interested in their Python Peek A Boo & Twin Tote however decided not to since they got no repair services, i rather invest my 7 grands & 3 grands on something better & safer.

Not surprised! My mother had a horrible Fendi experience that pretty much left her stuck with a damaged bag that she paid $1500 and that was 15 years ago when that was really a lot for a bag, not a normal price.

Prada outsources most of their repairs too, only major repairs go out of the country. The handle on my duffel bag broke, so I took it in for repair and it was done less than a week later. No way it left the country, or even the city.

Not surprised! My mother had a horrible Fendi experience that pretty much left her stuck with a damaged bag that she paid $1500 and that was 15 years ago when that was really a lot for a bag, not a normal price.

Prada outsources most of their repairs too, only major repairs go out of the country. The handle on my duffel bag broke, so I took it in for repair and it was done less than a week later. No way it left the country, or even the city.

The Saffiano leather part joint of the sling of my Prada Messenger bag got defect, My SA said repair will take about 3 months but she managed to expedit it for me it came back in about a month plus. She told me they will consolidate all repair items & send out once a month, some items need longer time. I sent my Prada sandal for repair, the PRADA wording studs on sandal missing left few alphabets, 6 months later then they call me to collect saying item repair done but they forgot about it. On my side i never call them to check on status thats why it took so long. My bag i went down to their personally twice as it is new but got manufacturer defect, they can't do exchange coz item out of stock, they wanted to give me store credit to buy something else which i rejected so they offer to repair for me for free.

I got my Fendi Spy from a department store here in the Netherlands - the SA there took my damaged bag in (it had a big hole in one of the corners) and sent it back to Fendi. I was told they'd open up the bag along the seams and then sew it back together to cover the hole. It took about 6 weeks or so. When it came back a terrible glue like black substance was stuck on the hole and the bag was 'touched up' with black dye. The 'repairs' didn't cost me anything, but the condition of the bag and the terrible smell from the glue made me despise it. I gave it to my sister and will never buy another Fendi in my life. I've always loved Prada, but am not sure if I'll buy any of their stuff in the future after having read this article (and 'Deluxe', amongst others). I think I'll just have to get it over with and get a Hermes bag for the ultimate quality bag...