Practicality of NF vs Messenger Bag

Rachael25

O.G.
Jun 27, 2007
Hello Ladies

This is my first post in the LV forum and I am not 100% familiar with all LV bags so please bear with me and please feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place :smile:

So, I have had my heart set on the NF for quite a while now and almost got one a few weeks ago (DE MM). I didn't realise prices had gone up and was expecting it to be £595 and not £710! I couldn't make a decision at the time so came away empty handed but am now reconsidering my purchase. If I do get the NF I'm not sure wether to go for the MM or the GM. I tried the GM and felt it was too big but am not sure if the MM would be big enough? I love the MM on other people but on me it didn't look like I thought it would but not sure if it would look better with things in it and after a bit of use. Also quite like the DA as opposed to the DE but not sure how that would hold up in winter (am in the UK and we get a lot of rain)!

Also, I have a 6 month old baby so not sure about the practicality of a shoulder bag, would a messenger style bag be better and if so can anyone suggest a canvas, medium sized, practical LV bag that I could look at?

Sorry for the long ramble, I am so confused and hope someone can give me some advice?!

Thanks everyone x

I think the NF would be a great choice. DE would probably be best for an everyday bag. I have DE and DA MM and Mono GM. I use my GM for travel. The MM is a great size... it does look better once you have your things in it.

I think the NF would be a great choice. DE would probably be best for an everyday bag. I have DE and DA MM and Mono GM. I use my GM for travel. The MM is a great size... it does look better once you have your things in it.
Thank you for your reply, I wish I had tried the bag with my things in it while I was in the shop! It's strange that when I tried it on I just couldn't decide but when I see other people with them I love them!
I like the idea of being able to just throw everything in one bag, keeping things simple!

I have a ten month old and three year old and just bought the delightful mm. I love it and I am able to fit drink bottles, nappies and snacks in it for simple outings. The leather in rainy England could be a problem though. You can't go wrong with the NF though and my choice would be DE. This is next on my list!!

Thank you for your reply, I wish I had tried the bag with my things in it while I was in the shop! It's strange that when I tried it on I just couldn't decide but when I see other people with them I love them!
I like the idea of being able to just throw everything in one bag, keeping things simple!

I felt the same way! I just didn't love the MM at first. I bought the GM first and realized it was not an everyday bag for me. I tried on the MM several times before I actually purchased and now I LOVE it!

You have all helped me decide that I should stick to my original idea of the NF DE in MM. I'm sure once I've got it I will absolutely love it (and wish I'd got it sooner)!

Hoping to go to France later on in the year so I'd like to try and get it whilst there if possible.

Will keep you posted, thanks again everyone x

I love my NF but with young children I find a cross body bag to be best, especially as your little one gets older and you are running after them and carrying them. The NF is wonderful but can get heavy and while carrying a kiddo on one arm it can be less than fun to have a big bag on your other.

With regards to cross body bags you could look at a Speedy Bandouliere, Saumur, or Menilmontant. My personal choice would be the Speedy Bandouliere in DE in a size 30 . It's the perfect size for a mom for the next few years and the DE would be care free as you wouldn't have to worry about staining and dirt like you would with the Mono or Azur.

It really depends on the other bags you have. I think the NF is practical for a mom, many use theirs as a purse/diaper bag. You should get the bag you want! If you do go crossbody, the bloomsbury PM is the best!

As far as sizing goes, reviews on YouTube are helpful in the decision making process. I have heard mixed feelings about the NF being used as a diaper bag due to the possibility of contents falling out when bending (i.e. Picking things off the ground or putting items under the stroller....mom-related stuff)

I just bought the DE Neverfull in GM. To me the MM was too small but I like big bags and I love how the GM looks cinched! I've been carrying it everyday - can't get enough of it! I carried just the pouchette it comes with yesterday and loved the look of that too! I have to say I'm just tickled pink about this purchase! I love the DM because I live in New England and we also get a lot if rain & snow so it is nice to not worry about the weather! I think whichever size you decide you will love it - I would be afraid of the DA only because you will need to baby it ( it is beautiful )!