Power handbag and womens' careers

Pias

O.G.
Sep 17, 2007
May I ask for your opinion please?
I'm about to go back to work in financial industry after staying out of the workforce for years. I have everything ready for me in term of professional readiness. Then I remembered the article I read years ago about the right handbag can open your career's door. Black Chanel flap signify success in career, especially in finance. I do have Chanel jumbo in black, but I'm thinking of selling it since I rarely use it and it is too heavy for me if I have to carry it around for hours.
What is your opinions based on this issue?
Do you think I should carry Chanel jumbo to work or other Hermes bags would be fine?
I have to carry a thin briefcase with laptop around to see clients, so I'm thinking of small handbags like small Chanel bag or Hermes Kelly 25 instead or just slip a wallet inside the briefcase and forgo all handbags so it won't weigh me down. I think where I live is also impact the attitude as well. I live in SoCal where is quite laid back outside but quite competitive inside if you know what I mean. People still look at what kind of car you drive and how to dress.
Thank you for all your opinions! I do value you girls thoughts!

Hi Pias! I'm an attorney and used to live in LA (now I live in SF), and I honestly think that any of these bags would be fine in your field, and you'd also be fine going with any other brand of bad that looks professional (whether it be from Chanel/Hermes/LV or Zara/Target). Most of my friends are attorneys, and we all work in different types of offices with different vibes (biglaw, small boutiques, casual, super stiff, etc.), and everyone just carries all sorts of handbags. I haven't heard of any instances where carrying a particular handbag (either super high end, or not high end at all) has either "opened doors" or "slammed doors shut".

Hi there, I honestly believe you would get away with anything that looks professional and that you wear with pride and confidence. I wouldn't go for anything that is too frilly or girly, but all of which you have proposed are great options. If you don't use the jumbo, I would sell it. You don't need a specific brand or model imho.
I bought a Prada Galleria tote years ago after my first real promotion and carried it with pride, although I am sure none of the guys I was working with noticed the brand or cared. To impress them, I would have needed a huge expensive watch, they did not care for handbags at all. The women did notice, but only one of the others had a designer bag. I would say try out what works best for you, also from a functional aspect, and then decide. I found schlepping along a briefcase and a handbag too messy at times, but it all depends on what suits your needs and what works for you.
Have fun rejoining the work force!

I am a finance professional as well and used to work in London before at a top US investment bank. i would defn. be OK carrying chanel - something giving me pride at work. But I would not carry Hermes - I had a bad experience (I would even think racist - I posted it) - I was talking to my siblings about this who are both Fund managers at HFs - if you are taking client money, i dunno the Hermes brand comes across as pretentious - instead you want to inspire confidence, pride and trust that your work is excellent (which is where I think Chanel works) but to at least my family H would send the wrong signal to clients.

take a cue from the women you'll work with. watch how they dress and what they carry to work and you'll get a good idea of what to start bringing in, too. in an office full of MK, a Chanel will be out of place. but if you see the ladies (or clients) in your offices bringing in LV and Chanel and Hermes handbags, then do the same. i work in a corporate office (also socal) so people are very used to seeing name brands and designers around here. although my collection is 90% chanel, i usually opt for LV at work just to look like i'm not filthy rich or trying to be better than my colleagues. i bring my briefcase/work bag and a small chanel or LV along with it for my more personal items, quick breaks and coffee's, etc. as someone said earlier, men don't notice/care what you carry but the ladies will see and often comment

Hi Pias! I'm an attorney and used to live in LA (now I live in SF), and I honestly think that any of these bags would be fine in your field, and you'd also be fine going with any other brand of bad that looks professional (whether it be from Chanel/Hermes/LV or Zara/Target). Most of my friends are attorneys, and we all work in different types of offices with different vibes (biglaw, small boutiques, casual, super stiff, etc.), and everyone just carries all sorts of handbags. I haven't heard of any instances where carrying a particular handbag (either super high end, or not high end at all) has either "opened doors" or "slammed doors shut".

Thank you so much for your advice, Mnola21! Going back to work after years of staying out of workforce both makes me excited and nervous. Your advice makes me relax a a little more. Thank you! :smile: I think I'm not going to overthink too much of purses and I'd better prepare my professional prowess to keep up with my colleagues.

take a cue from the women you'll work with. watch how they dress and what they carry to work and you'll get a good idea of what to start bringing in, too. in an office full of MK, a Chanel will be out of place. but if you see the ladies (or clients) in your offices bringing in LV and Chanel and Hermes handbags, then do the same. i work in a corporate office (also socal) so people are very used to seeing name brands and designers around here. although my collection is 90% chanel, i usually opt for LV at work just to look like i'm not filthy rich or trying to be better than my colleagues. i bring my briefcase/work bag and a small chanel or LV along with it for my more personal items, quick breaks and coffee's, etc. as someone said earlier, men don't notice/care what you carry but the ladies will see and often comment

Yes, I will! Thank you! Carrying both briefcase and a purse seems too much for me. Besides, if I carry the more expensive purses than others in the office, it might not be a good idea. Like you, I think I should carry a briefcase and a small purse or just a wallet like I used to in the past.;)

I am a finance professional as well and used to work in London before at a top US investment bank. i would defn. be OK carrying chanel - something giving me pride at work. But I would not carry Hermes - I had a bad experience (I would even think racist - I posted it) - I was talking to my siblings about this who are both Fund managers at HFs - if you are taking client money, i dunno the Hermes brand comes across as pretentious - instead you want to inspire confidence, pride and trust that your work is excellent (which is where I think Chanel works) but to at least my family H would send the wrong signal to clients.

Thank you so much for your insight, Schuhgal! That is interesting! Could you please explain more about your bad experience with Hermes purses? Racist? I'm curious now. I heard that Black Chanel flap is popular among professional women. I really like to hear from you more.

Hi there, I honestly believe you would get away with anything that looks professional and that you wear with pride and confidence. I wouldn't go for anything that is too frilly or girly, but all of which you have proposed are great options. If you don't use the jumbo, I would sell it. You don't need a specific brand or model imho.
I bought a Prada Galleria tote years ago after my first real promotion and carried it with pride, although I am sure none of the guys I was working with noticed the brand or cared. To impress them, I would have needed a huge expensive watch, they did not care for handbags at all. The women did notice, but only one of the others had a designer bag. I would say try out what works best for you, also from a functional aspect, and then decide. I found schlepping along a briefcase and a handbag too messy at times, but it all depends on what suits your needs and what works for you.
Have fun rejoining the work force!

Thank you, marzipanchen! I think you are right on. I'm going to sell my Jumbo flap and free some space in my closet. Wearing a nice business suit with really nice briefcase and a wallet should be enough for me. ;)

Reactions: Mariapia
Agree!! Never heard such a thing.. if only...with my handbag collection I should be group general counsel by now haha. Tbh, I think luxury goods aren't helpful for career progression esp in Aus but I don't care... I love my bags too much not to carry them.

Sorry I should have added to start off just carry a bag you want to carry as long as it looks professional it should be fine. Also once you start work you will get the vibe/standard of your office... what other ladies carry and wear, how ppl are judged etc For me, an LV gets heaps of comments... but after x years they know Im a bag lady and i carry them all even mini bags and hermes bags.

Thank you so much for your insight, Schuhgal! That is interesting! Could you please explain more about your bad experience with Hermes purses? Racist? I'm curious now. I heard that Black Chanel flap is popular among professional women. I really like to hear from you more.
Hi Pias
Yes black cf is very popular I think with finance professionals (as is Prada, sl, Celine ). Yes ofc here is the post I had created separately but the mods archived it to as part of shopping in Madrid thread - which I can understand - https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...adrid-and-lisbon.459680/page-11#post-30718121

Hi Pias
Yes black cf is very popular I think with finance professionals (as is Prada, sl, Celine ). Yes ofc here is the post I had created separately but the mods archived it to as part of shopping in Madrid thread - which I can understand - https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...adrid-and-lisbon.459680/page-11#post-30718121
Wow, thank you so much for the link, Schuhgal! And I'm so sorry that poor treatment like that happened to you. i don't understand why Hermes even hired someone like that. Treatments at Hermes stores in different locations can be hit or miss like that. I was first ignored by H SAs in SoCal; I had to show up at the same H store a couple of times to get better treatment as well. But I now rarely go shopping at H due to my schedule. I actually would like another Kelly but I don't feel like bagging Hermes to sell me one. If they want to sell me, I will take it. If not, that is fine. I don't need it. I'm too old and too proud to play that silly game now.

Reactions: schuhgal
Wow, thank you so much for the link, Schuhgal! And I'm so sorry that poor treatment like that happened to you. i don't understand why Hermes even hired someone like that. Treatments at Hermes stores in different locations can be hit or miss like that. I was first ignored by H SAs in SoCal; I had to show up at the same H store a couple of times to get better treatment as well. But I now rarely go shopping at H due to my schedule. I actually would like another Kelly but I don't feel like bagging Hermes to sell me one. If they want to sell me, I will take it. If not, that is fine. I don't need it. I'm too old and too proud to play that silly game now.
Yes exactly. In the Hamburg store they are lovely. And I just felt here after buying a cdc the rudeness was unwarranted.
I was so disgusted i don´t want anything from H now.
I don´t care how good the brand is, I am too old, and I have worked too hard in my life (careerwise) to put up with this kind of BS from them. (You know how tough it is in IBD). I havn´t the time to go shopping often because I am busy, but when I do I want it to be a relaxing, nice experience!

Pias I also work in finance. I think the world has changed since 2008 financial crisis. Before 2008 I would wear Chanel no problem, but since then I see a lot of women including me going for more under the radar brands. I see Celine as popular and I use a leather Hermes garden party and a BV for my work bags. I save Chanel for weekends ... But your new office may be different. Congrats on your new job