Powder/foundation/something else?? - not sure what I need...

candice19

Oct 21, 2007
Hi everyone! So, I really don't use make up all that much so I don't really know what I need, and I'm hoping I can get some advice.

My face gets oily pretty fast, so I don't put on foundation or powder. But, my skin lately has been uneven in terms of tone and texture. Does anyone know of a product that I can swipe on once in the morning, that can even things out without having that foundation or powder layer feeling? And also that won't make my face too oily like lotions?

I had been thinking of the Guerlain Meteorites, but I'm not sure how my skin would react to that, or of the shimmer will be too much. The more natural the better.

Thanks!

lcterp

La bella vita
May 23, 2007
Pittsburgh
For oilyness I would try a primer, my skin gets oily as well and so I have been using Monistat Chafing gel (yes, sounds odd but works so well and there is an entire thread o here about it) before my foundation. This will help smooth things out and then if you don't want to put on something heavy you could try a tinted moisturizer (Laura Mercier's seems to get a lot of praise). Smashbox and Make Up Forever also has some similiar skin corrector products although I have never tried them.

candice19

Oct 21, 2007
I just went to Saks during lunch and tried the Meteorites - I don't see much of a difference, if any. The SA applied it on me, an she actually applied very little.

I completely forgot about Laura Mercier's moisturizer. I've only tried it once, and really liked it, but couldn't see myself spending $40 on 1.7 oz of moisturizer (and still can't, honestly). I wonder if they have a drug store item like this... but if all else fails, I'll probably head to his counter, too.

illinirdhd

O.G.
Dec 14, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Try the Monistat Chafing Gel - I've used about every primer on the market, and like it as well as (or better than) any other, plus it's REALLY cheap as primers go! About the only time I use something else lately is when I want a high spf (then I use MAC Prep + Prime spf 50).

You can use the Monistat (or almost any other primer) with or without liquid and/or powder foundation over it. I use it under MAC Sheer Tint moisturizer and Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder.

You could also try a primer with Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil over it - that would give you a great matte finish if you don't need the coverage of a foundation.

Cheryl

Obsessed
O.G.
Jan 12, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Try a Power foundation... Mac, Armani, Chanel, La Prairie... They all make them. I wear the Armani one and I like it alot... Also I recoemmend the Guerlain Meteorites.. They arent really shimmery! You should test them out at the store and see if you like it. They give a nice glow and help with shine! Let us know what you end up getting!!! GL :tup:

musicgirl

O.G.
Sep 3, 2007
Alabama
I only wear powder foundations. I have tried Mac, Clinique, Estee Lauder and Laura Mercier. Out of those the Mac and LM make my face oilier. The Clinique and EL do not seem to add to the oiliness. I also like the Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector as either a primer or even by itself. It evens out your skin tone very well and comes in inivisible light (works very well for me) and invisible deep.

lcterp

La bella vita
May 23, 2007
Pittsburgh
Try Make Up Forever powder foundation as well, I use it and love it. I use the Duo Mat Powder foundation and apply it with a big fluffy brush (not the spongy thing it comes with) for a light, feathery finish.

SimplyElegant

Mar 30, 2008
I'd try a powder foundation too and apply it with a powder brush for a more natural sheer coverage. You get enough coverage to make your skin even and don't need to apply powder on top to keep your skin matte.