Home & Garden Pottery Barn Slipcovers

MM83

Mar 14, 2009
Anyone have a non-PB couch, with a PB cover? I want to cover my loveseat and sofa, because my couch is hideous (and I've been ixnayed on buying a new one, in lieu of a new SUV), because it still "works" according to Mr. MM, so we have to keep it.

I like the look of the PB slipcovers, as well as the option of being able to wash dog residue and Mr. MM dirt off of them, but I'm kind of scared I won't be able to pull it off. I've seen many pictures where they look fantastic and others where it looks like someone put a wrinkled sheet on a nasty couch and called it good. Oddly, in the latter of the two situations, they still seem thrilled with it.

If all else fails, I suppose I'll have to figure out how to render our working couch, broken.

Are you talking about the fitted covers or the one that you put over the couch and tie at the bottom? I have 2 of the the tie ones and they are great, you just have to keep tucking in the back towards the seat to make it smooth if if gets wrinkled looking where you sit. For the fitted ones, I would think they could work if you have the same type of couch with the measurements for everything the same or a few inches under. Since they are fitted covers you would have a smoother look. Ebay is the best place to buy them and also look into the IKEA slipcovers there too because some of them are sold super cheap. My friend has Ikea for a couch and it worked out well-she just had to pin the back part with diaper pins to make a tighter fit because it was about a foot bigger than her couch.

Are your couch measurements close to the Pottery Barn couch? I'd measure the width, height, length,back cushions, arm rests and seat cushions. If your couch is close, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Ikea has slipcovers for the Ektorp couches, or you could have them custom made at Bemz.

Link to bemz: http://www.bemz.com/en/products/sofa-covers/

ETA: I have the Ektorp sectional, and I LOVE being able to wash the slipcovers in the washing machine. The covers are nice and snug on the cushions. Mine is kind of like a couderoy fabric, it wears great.

Are you talking about the fitted covers or the one that you put over the couch and tie at the bottom? I have 2 of the the tie ones and they are great, you just have to keep tucking in the back towards the seat to make it smooth if if gets wrinkled looking where you sit. For the fitted ones, I would think they could work if you have the same type of couch with the measurements for everything the same or a few inches under. Since they are fitted covers you would have a smoother look. Ebay is the best place to buy them and also look into the IKEA slipcovers there too because some of them are sold super cheap. My friend has Ikea for a couch and it worked out well-she just had to pin the back part with diaper pins to make a tighter fit because it was about a foot bigger than her couch.

Yup! With the box pleat bottom, without the separate seat covers. Our couch is probably medium sized in the scheme of things, I have yet to measure it. What's tricky is, both couches are loose pillow back, so I'll have to do the pillow covers on my own. I know you can cover them in quilt batting and lay them flat, but I'd rather have the loose pillow look.

Do you use anything to keep the cover from coming untucked? I.e. a PVC pipe wrapped in rubber bands or the specific tuck kit? How does it wash and hold up? It would probably be washed fairly often, the dogs are fond of coming in from outside and jumping on the couch immediately, much to my dismay.

The bright side of having hideously ugly couches, with a dark pattern is you can literally do anything to them with zero consequence. I've spilled coffee, chocolate all kinds of stain inducing substances and you'd never know it. The downside is I'm embarrassed to look at them or even take a picture with them in the background. I hate them that much.

I also found a website that has PB, rather "Brand X" slipcovers for an absolute steal, which is where I was considering ordering from. I was thinking Honey Twill, I'd love white, but Mr. MM will throw a fit, our bedroom is all white and cream, if I take over another room in white he may revolt.

I have one that is box pleat bottom, it fits really well on my couch. I have a leather couch that is normal size, 3 seat cushions and a back that is attached-not seperate cushions. The cover does slide more on leather than material so I just check when I get up to see if I need to tuck it back in the back. It really does not come off and get messed up. I felt it worked better on couches that were fabric. I guess you could always buy perhaps a matching loveseat cover and make your own pillow covers from the fabric. Or even just cover the front piece with the couch fabric and put solid fabric on the back part of the cover. The covers wash and dry great. I have had so many things spill on them and the stains come out. I have a hydrangea cover in lavender/perwinkle colors with a white background and also a solid white one. I like to change the look so I switch back and forth. There is alot to work with with the ties so you can get it to fit pretty well by just having it tied tight and tucking it in the side arms and back.