Potential buyers asking annoying questions

Jan 22, 2008
I put something up a few days ago on ebay, and though my auction clearly states I ship only to the US, I've already gotten two messages asking me if I will ship to other countries and one asking me if I will do a BIN for just a little over half of the retail price of the item.

What is wrong with these potential buyers? I finally added something to the auction saying don't message me asking if I ship outside the US because I don't. It's really frustrating to get bombarded with all of these questions because people can't follow directions.

I know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory if you want to sell on eBay. People will push to see just how far they can get with you.

You did the right thing by adding a statement to the auction regarding where you will ship. And the next time someone asks you to end the auction early at a ridiculous price, be sure to also add that question and your reply to the auction as well.

I've been selling on ebay for years, mostly stuff like used designer bags/shoes etc. that I used once and decided I didn't like, so the people are getting great deals to start with and then they want to low ball me and ask me a bunch of ridiculous questions. I wish there was another way to do it, I'd stop responding but I'm afraid they'll bid anyway and that will be a pain too.

Well, just to play devil's advocate for a second, I often message sellers who say they won't ship outside the US to ask that they ship to Canada...I have great feedback and am clearly sane, and usually they say it's fine. So I don't think there's anything wrong with people letting you make a judgement call regarding where you'll ship- it opens up a whole other market when you are willing to ship international ;).
I do agree that the lowball offers are extremely frustrating!

I sometimes gave exceptions for internation buyers if they have good feedbacks. US dollar is weak now. If you only limit to domestic, you will loose some potentional business. If the international buyers' addresses are PayPal confirmed and are willing to pay Global Express fee, why not? However, if their addresses are PayPal unconfirmed, I would tell them the payment method is bankwire only.

I don't mind the questions I just add them to my auctions in the question section. Irefuse to ship to anywhere other than Canada and that's really pushing it. With the chargebacks etc from Intl. buyers, it's just not worth the headache.

To be honest...I dont understand the frustration.
You obviously have a great item up for sale that people want so much, that even though they have read that you dont ship out of the USA, that they are asking anyway.
A few times I have asked US sellers to ship to me, even though they say they wont. I only ask if Im definatley going to buy the item and I cant get the item on UK ebay. ( Usually designers like Kooba and Rebecca Minkofff which you cant get here) When the sellers see my feedback they have shipped to me.
I understand if your inbox is getting swamped with questions, but at least you are getting a healthy interest in your item. :yes:

To be honest...I dont understand the frustration.
You obviously have a great item up for sale that people want so much, that even though they have read that you dont ship out of the USA, they want it so much that they are asking anyway.
A few times I have asked US sellers to ship to me, even though they say they wont. I only ask if Im definatley going to buy the item and I cant get the item on UK ebay. ( Usually designers like Kooba and Rebecca Minkofff which you cant get here) When the sellers see my feedback they have shipped to me.
I understand if your inbox is getting swamped with questions, but at least you are getting a healthy interest in your item. :yes:

ITA... It may be annoying, but at least a lot of people are showing interest. And maybe the buyer, cant find the item elsewhere, and feels that if you check their feedback, and have good communication, then you'll feel comfortable selling to them. They probably feel that it never hurts to just ask:girlsigh:

I put something up a few days ago on ebay, and though my auction clearly states I ship only to the US, I've already gotten two messages asking me if I will ship to other countries and one asking me if I will do a BIN for just a little over half of the retail price of the item.

What is wrong with these potential buyers? I finally added something to the auction saying don't message me asking if I ship outside the US because I don't. It's really frustrating to get bombarded with all of these questions because people can't follow directions.
I was worried about shipping to Europe and Asia, but with the dollar so bad, I've made some good sales to overseas buyers. If you get them to agree to higher shipping costs up front, it could be worth it for you. I've had non-US buyers agree to $40 or $50 shipping without batting an eye! Use PayPal only, of course.

I have US and Canada only on my auctions but welcome questions about shipping to other countries. I don't mind the questions but appreciate that they can be overwhelming! Good luck on your auction!

The reason people ask you even if you stated in your auction you don't ship out of country is because of many sellers who do the same, end up shipping to other countries anyway. I have purchased countless items from sellers who claim they don't ship outside UK and they do when I pester them :biggrin: I'm sure I'm not the only eager buyer around.

yes sometimes sellers dont say they will ship abroad. I asked a US seller if she would ship to UK once, her auction said US only. Her reply...yes of course I do. So I had to ask to find out...

Well, just to play devil's advocate for a second, I often message sellers who say they won't ship outside the US to ask that they ship to Canada...I have great feedback and am clearly sane, and usually they say it's fine.

same here, I send a polite message and i ask the seller to check my profile and feedback and reconsider if they would feel safe with selling to me. I dont feel thats soo bad.

Well, just to play devil's advocate for a second, I often message sellers who say they won't ship outside the US to ask that they ship to Canada...I have great feedback and am clearly sane, and usually they say it's fine. So I don't think there's anything wrong with people letting you make a judgement call regarding where you'll ship- it opens up a whole other market when you are willing to ship international ;).
I do agree that the lowball offers are extremely frustrating!

Me, too! I've seen items that I just couldn't resist and have gently asked if the US-based seller would ship to Canada (I did that with my most recent handbag purchase). Lucky me, she was more than happy to oblige. I guess on one hand it can start to drive you nuts as a seller; on the other hand, at least people are interested:tup:

No disrespect intended towards the Canadian market but we can be pretty "dry" sometimes (compared to the US) in terms of selection when it comes to online shopping within our border (which isn't to say that we don't have some 5-star, rock-steady Canadian distributors!)....I get really envious when I see all the stuff in the US! The selection is just oustanding!!:tup: And no customs to deal with! Even with the customs fees, 99% of my online shopping is STILL from US-based E-bayers and distributors....I'll never stop saying, "ship to Canada, pretty please?!":graucho:
Pudoodles