Posting with a degree of hesitation but ... here goes+

Rbamba

Jun 1, 2014
2 disparate questions :smile:

1. Why is the Speedy considered a classic? Is it because a fashion icon (Audrey Hepburn - grace personified!) used it extensively?

2. Objectively speaking, are designer handbags worth the $$$? A bit of math:
My Coach shopper (leather, non-logo) cost me $275 or so (those $100 off coupons do come in handy!!). I used the Coach almost daily. At around the 2 year mark it started showing signs of wear. Lets say I used it for 300 days per year. That means I used it for 600 days in 2 years. Hence Cost / use = $275/600 which is under 50 cents / day

I bought my Trevi PM for around $2100 about 2 years ago. Didn't use it initially. Started using it this year, and I have used it extensively for the past 3 months (lets say 100 days). It is showing signs of wear (on the leather). Assuming I can sell it for 70% of what I bought it for (approx. $1500), it means the bag cost $600 for 100 days of use = $6 per day.

The math is not really working out :smile: The "prestige factor" is also not in evidence - neither my LV nor my Coach has elicited any favorable (or unfavorable) comment(s). Hence my question - are designer handbags worth the $$$?

I can't argue with your math, but for me it's worth it. The way I gauge everything in my life is, does it make me happy? I don't buy my bags in the hopes of making back my money. But I can say that there have been times were I've sold bags that no longer fit my needs and I made back a good amount of my money.

I also don't buy a ton of bags. I have a small collection and I use every piece. I put more thought into what I buy. Before I started buying exclusively premier designer bags, I would buy cheaper bags, but more often. So, in the end I was spending about the same. In my experience when I went to sell those bags they didn't hold their value nearly as well. That being said nothinh is going to be as good as just putting all that money in the bank, but where is the fun in that? No one needs these items they are considered a luxury. So I buy what I love and what I can afford.

All LV purchased I have made were for my own sake, bcz I like them bcz I enjoyed wearing them. I don't care much for prestige value since other's opinions don't matter to me. I say if you can justify it to urself then it's worth it. In the Cost-benefit analysis, it's really hard to put a value on how much you yourself enjoy using the bag.

All LV purchased I have made were for my own sake, bcz I like them bcz I enjoyed wearing them. I don't care much for prestige value since other's opinions don't matter to me. I say if you can justify it to urself then it's worth it. In the Cost-benefit analysis, it's really hard to put a value on how much you yourself enjoy using the bag.
I feel like i worry about my LV way more than my cheaper bags. It's a beautiful bag but I feel that I can't enjoy it in a carefree fashion :smile: Maybe I worry too much!!

For me personally, I don't think of my bags as "Is it worth it?." Its more like this is what I love and I appreciate it for what it is... and it makes me happy! So yea, to me LVs are worth it. It is kind of the same way I think when I buy a piece of artwork.

2 disparate questions :smile:

1. Why is the Speedy considered a classic? Is it because a fashion icon (Audrey Hepburn - grace personified!) used it extensively?

2. Objectively speaking, are designer handbags worth the $$$? A bit of math:
My Coach shopper (leather, non-logo) cost me $275 or so (those $100 off coupons do come in handy!!). I used the Coach almost daily. At around the 2 year mark it started showing signs of wear. Lets say I used it for 300 days per year. That means I used it for 600 days in 2 years. Hence Cost / use = $275/600 which is under 50 cents / day

I bought my Trevi PM for around $2100 about 2 years ago. Didn't use it initially. Started using it this year, and I have used it extensively for the past 3 months (lets say 100 days). It is showing signs of wear (on the leather). Assuming I can sell it for 70% of what I bought it for (approx. $1500), it means the bag cost $600 for 100 days of use = $6 per day.

The math is not really working out :smile: The "prestige factor" is also not in evidence - neither my LV nor my Coach has elicited any favorable (or unfavorable) comment(s). Hence my question - are designer handbags worth the $$$?

1. Well, for one the Speedy is iconic and many people remember Audrey Hepburn as being so stylish and classic. The bag is pretty much non-trendy and timeless- it will never go out of style. You can see women in their 20's or 90's carry it!!

2. I think designer handbags are totally worth it. I was a big Coach lover for years and bought Coach bags when they made them in Manhattan. I was disappointed they started making them in China. I have a vintage duffel sac made in NYC and when they started making the "vintage" Coach bags again I bought a new one but the new ones are thinner and just not the same quality. I ended up returning it. I know LV's quality has gone down too over the past few years but I like knowing my bags are not made in sweatshops. Well who knows where the hardware is made anymore....LOL!
But I find as I grow older I don't care if my bags attract anyone's attention (in fact, I wish they wouldn't!) I love LV and they suit my lifestyle. I pretty much carry whatever makes me happy and sell the ones that don't!

They are worth the money to me because they make me happy to wear them. When a bag no longer makes me happy or disappoints, I sell it. I can't mathematically justify any luxury item because honestly, it's not a need for any of us. Use what you are comfortable with, what makes you happy and forget the rest.

I carry or wear what I like it's really that simple. You could do the math on beauty salons, nail salons, clothes, shoes ect. Heck you could do the math on a lot of things. Handbags are a want not a need as so are the other things I mentioned above. Are any of these things worth the money? Prestige? My car, my house, where I live nor the type of bag I carry make me as a person. And IF for some twisted reason I began to think so it would be time for a reality check which my DH would gladly do. When you get to a certain age you just don't give a darn what people think. If you have to over analyze it - it's probably not for you. We can't justify half the things we as people spend money on.

The question is are designer bags worth it to you? It's a matter of preference my dear.

Be Blessed MoNikki

Last edited:
1. Well, for one the Speedy is iconic and many people remember Audrey Hepburn as being so stylish and classic. The bag is pretty much non-trendy and timeless- it will never go out of style. You can see women in their 20's or 90's carry it!!

2. I think designer handbags are totally worth it. I was a big Coach lover for years and bought Coach bags when they made them in Manhattan. I was disappointed they started making them in China. I have a vintage duffel sac made in NYC and when they started making the "vintage" Coach bags again I bought a new one but the new ones are thinner and just not the same quality. I ended up returning it. I know LV's quality has gone down too over the past few years but I like knowing my bags are not made in sweatshops. Well who knows where the hardware is made anymore....LOL!
But I find as I grow older I don't care if my bags attract anyone's attention (in fact, I wish they wouldn't!) I love LV and they suit my lifestyle. I pretty much carry whatever makes me happy and sell the ones that don't!
Thank you for answering my 1st question. I sometimes struggle to understand what is considered timeless (and not just in the world of fashion) and why.

About #2 - I do have an older Coach bag (probably made in the USA - not sure) and I can tell it is different from the Coach I can get now. The leather is .... sturdier? Richer? It is not lined on the inside, yet I can TELL it's a better bag than many many many others on the market..... Why don't they make 'em like that any more? (Of course, this can be said about so many things these days, right?)

I busted my behind in school for many years, undergrad and grad, through professional exams and field studies to get to where I am and can proudly afford LV's. They are a symbol to me of how far I have come and brings me great joy to wear them. Wear what you are attracted to. Simple as that....

Just honestly read this and found the strength to post that the only people that care about what bag you carry beyond yourself does not matter. If you carry lv or Hermes, you are not a better person than anyone who carries coach or bcbg. It's all you and your style. If you are happy and carry what you love that's all that matters.