posted an article on facebook abot adopting, got an annoying response, i need advice.

pokipoki

May 6, 2007
So,i was bored at work and i browsed the pet section on craigslist and came across this post about adopting pets instead of buying them from breeders and petshop because of how many dogs&cats are killed everyear and how they are being killed and treated in the pound. if you're interested to read they're down below, but if not just skip.

anyhow, i think the article is interesting and I want to share with my friends on facebook because a lot of them dont realize that this is happening. I, not in any way was intending to offend my friends who bought their dogs from breeders or petshop, i just want to share or show them what's really going on. So I tag these people that I thought needed to know, or can spread the word, or would want to read it.

One of them is someone I rarely know, I just know that he's an activist, a vegetarian....emotional, weird guy. and downright annoying, for me. I'm not really his friend, the only thing we got in common is that we both love and care for animals. he's also got a unspoken reputation of being "weird and egocentric".

I realize that me tagging people to my notes I will not always get sympathetic response, and people are entitled to their own opinion, and that's okay....until his response came and I felt "if you dont like it, keep it to yourself, ur comment is so unnecessary". but maybe this is because i'm just not really fond of him in the first place.

SO, his response was

"oh well, what's the difference between these animals and the animals served on your place 3x a day? why love one and hate the other?"

is he trying to corner me with that question? i'm just so annoyed and get emotional after reading this. maybe if it came from a different person i wouldnt give a damn. besides his question is unrelevant, dont u think?

relinquishing an animal because they're not cute anymore or because they mess up your backyard is different from eating meat!
one is being irresponsible...and the other one is a necessity being a human being.

i want to write something back to him because if i dont it will give him the satisfaction thinking that I give in. but I'm too annoyed to think of the right words to say! i cant even verbalize things. I want to say something that make sense without being too verbose, make him feel "D'OH!"

I need help. what would you say to him? I dont want this to turn into a heated argument but I dont want to not say anything either. he's the type of person who always gets to have the last word and likes to think that he is wise and all that. eugh.

sorry this turns out to be really long.

if you want to read the post they're below, but if not, skip to the last paragraph.

A Letter from a Shelter Manager

I think our society needs a huge "Wake-up" call. As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all...a view from the inside if you will.

First off, all of you breeders/sellers should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day. Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would change your mind about breeding and selling to people you don't even know.

That puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when it's not a cute little puppy anymore. So how would you feel if you knew that there's about a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it is going to be dumped at? Purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays", that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses I hear are; "We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat)." Really? Where are you moving too that doesn't allow pets? Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would". How big did you think a German Shepherd would get? "We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs! "She's tearing up our yard". How about making her a part of your family? They always tell me "We just don't want to have to stress about finding a place for her we know she'll get adopted, she's a good dog".

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you, your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies. Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps. It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it. If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose. If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door.

Those dogs just don't get adopted. It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are.

If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed. If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of execution, but not for long . Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment. If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because shelters just don't have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being "put-down".

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to "The Room", every one of them freaks out and puts on the brakes when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with every one of them. Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are. Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the "pink stuff". Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams. They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pets corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage. What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You'll never know and it probably won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?

I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your head I deal with everyday on the way home from work.

I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and realize that the lives you are affecting go much farther than the pets you dump at a shelter.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.

My point to all of this DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Hate me if you want to. The truth hurts and reality is what it is. I just hope I maybe changed one persons mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or buying a dog. I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say "I saw this and it made me want to adopt". THAT WOULD MAKE IT WORTH IT

okay, what about saying like

"i know you're a vegetarian, but do you not own leather? does each and every product you use have the "not tested on animals" label on it? you do what you can do. besides your response is totally unrelevant"

help me. i turn to TPF because i know for a fact that some responses offered here are really good.

thanks in advance.

There is a huge, huge difference between companion animals (especially dogs) and livestock. As I mentioned in another thread, dogs have been bred as companions to humans for thousands of years. Dogs and humans are more similar in temperament to one another than humans and chimpanzees (even though we share more DNA in common with chimps, obviously!) To discount the special bond between humans and dogs- which we share with no other creature, not cats or horses or anything else- is to deny thousands of years of history.

I also find his comment to be irrelevant in this context.

Don't get too upset Poki, although he may be ignorant to the differences between livestock and pets, remember that as a vegetarian he feels strongly about his cause as well.
On the same token, he doesn't sound like the brightest crayon in the box, so anything you say back will likely be countered with a nonsensical "I know you are but what am I" type of response.
Just know that there are many people out there who know how important pet adoption is. I have a Labrador Retriever purchased from a breeder. He is my world and I love him more than I could a child. I also have a Doberman mix who wandered into our yard and adopted us. She is my world and my love, as well.
I would let it go and delete this person. You do not need to associate with such naive individuals.

SO, his response was

"oh well, what's the difference between these animals and the animals served on your place 3x a day? why love one and hate the other?"

Not an unusal position for an activist and vegan/vegetarian. He's just trying to make a point about cuddling with a dog or cat vs. eating a cow or pig or goat. Different countries, different cultures, different priorities. Some place eat dogs and revere cows.

Never let people's comments get to you. People are strange. You can't agree with or understand everyone. It shouldn't be anything to get torn up about.

I think he has a point and I don't think it's an unusual position for anyone to take who is a big animal lover and concerned about their welfare. The ethical and humane treatment of animals, whether as a companion or as a food source, is something that should be the norm. Unfortunately, it isn't. Dogs, cats and horses are pets I have, but some people eat them. We try to protect dolphins and whales from the dinner plate, but not cows and pigs. As a species, we're quite contradictory and selective, and I think maybe that's what that guy was getting at.
I liked the letter you posted. I'm all for adopting a pound animal instead of encouraging or creating a market for animals to be bred endlessly, just to end up as unwanted and another sad statistic of the millions whose fate is euthanasia. (You also get major Karma points for doing so.) My local council shelter killed over 70,000 animals last year...it's just so depressing.
I'm sorry he upset you, Poki. I don't know if he was trying to get a rise out of you or trying to make you think. If he bothers you so much, either don't respond or even better, just delete him. By the sounds of it, he won't be missed.

I would just tell him "Everyone does what they feel is right regarding animals and this is how I feel. Feel free to ignore or delete my post." He is not required to agree with you. Let him ignore or delete your post if he is not interested. I wouldn't put too much effort into this guy. He sounds like a complete waste of time. Also these types live to argue so no matter what you say he will have a comeback.

There is a huge, huge difference between companion animals (especially dogs) and livestock. As I mentioned in another thread, dogs have been bred as companions to humans for thousands of years. Dogs and humans are more similar in temperament to one another than humans and chimpanzees (even though we share more DNA in common with chimps, obviously!) To discount the special bond between humans and dogs- which we share with no other creature, not cats or horses or anything else- is to deny thousands of years of history.

I also find his comment to be irrelevant in this context.

I wanted to reply to this in the other thread, but it had already gotten a bit out of hand.

I disagree. Animals are animals, and to me, you can't regard one species as being "better" than another just cause man decided to domesticate one and not the other.

As for the OP...I'm a smart ass, so I'd respond with something snarky, but you don't seem that way. I'd just ignore it.

I would just tell him "Everyone does what they feel is right regarding animals and this is how I feel. Feel free to ignore or delete my post." He is not required to agree with you. Let him ignore or delete your post if he is not interested. I wouldn't put too much effort into this guy. He sounds like a complete waste of time. Also these types live to argue so no matter what you say he will have a comeback.

This is a great response.

I'm a vegetarian and a big animal rights activist and through some of my volunteer work, I have met people like this -- they kind of look down on people who don't do as much as they do (an all-or-nothing kind of attitude). I get criticized for not being a vegan sometimes (of course, when I hang out with some people who aren't vegetarians, I get criticized for not eating meat). I'm not trying to please other people and like you, I just think it is important to get the word out. If one person is upset by what you do, that's ok IMO. Even if a lot of people are upset. Unfortunately, many people still think buying a dog from a pet store is a way to 'save' the poor puppy from the shop -- but in reality, it just opens up another cage for another unfortunate puppy to have to move into. I don't think it is fair for people to decide which animals are worthy and which are not, but you were simply seeking to get the word out about breeders and puppy mills and the need to adopt -- not start a great debate over ethics. Hopefully those that read your facebook post were influenced by what you wrote, and hey, can't you just delete his comment?

, I have met people like this -- they kind of look down on people who don't do as much as they do (an all-or-nothing kind of attitude)

this is so him. animal welfare or not.
i still feel i want to say something, i decided in the morning to just leave it as it is, not to even delete his comment. but as the day progresses i'm itching to say something. this probably makes me the same as him, huh?
but deleting his comment will not put me in peace, it's like giving in...especially imagining his proud face that once again he is "right" just because no one speaks up!

i completely understand where he's coming from, I even agree that animals are animals, though my love for dogs are much bigger than cows. he's just being a smart ass.

And of course he is saying this to make him look good and challenge me. i mean, all of us (my friends) know he is THE animal activist. he even turned down an offer from an ivy league university because their lab uses real animal for testing. and of course everyone knows...!*rolls eyes* (on a different note: good for him).

thanks for all the responses, i'm feeling a lot better after reading them and i felt supported.

Last edited:
I disagree. Animals are animals, and to me, you can't regard one species as being "better" than another just cause man decided to domesticate one and not the other.

I disagree...

It's not a matter that one species is "better"....however mankind HAS bred and domesticated dogs throughout the ages, whether we like it or not. No other animal can claim this distinction! To domesticate an animal, and then turn it loose in the wild would be cruel, when they have been bred to depend on humans for their care.

Therefore, I feel that it is the ethical and moral thing for mankind to follow through on what was started ages ago, and continue to take care of these creatures. To do otherwise would be reprehensible, in my eyes.

As a member of mankind, I intend to do this to the best of my ability. This is what I truly believe.

Oh, and OP -- I would just ignore the facebook reply! ;)

I think he has a point and I don't think it's an unusual position for anyone to take who is a big animal lover and concerned about their welfare. The ethical and humane treatment of animals, whether as a companion or as a food source, is something that should be the norm. Unfortunately, it isn't. Dogs, cats and horses are pets I have, but some people eat them. We try to protect dolphins and whales from the dinner plate, but not cows and pigs. As a species, we're quite contradictory and selective, and I think maybe that's what that guy was getting at.
I liked the letter you posted. I'm all for adopting a pound animal instead of encouraging or creating a market for animals to be bred endlessly, just to end up as unwanted and another sad statistic of the millions whose fate is euthanasia. (You also get major Karma points for doing so.) My local council shelter killed over 70,000 animals last year...it's just so depressing.
I'm sorry he upset you, Poki. I don't know if he was trying to get a rise out of you or trying to make you think. If he bothers you so much, either don't respond or even better, just delete him. By the sounds of it, he won't be missed.
Great post, I agree with every point. Poki, it was wonderful of you to share that article.

I disagree...

It's not a matter that one species is "better"....however mankind HAS bred and domesticated dogs throughout the ages, whether we like it or not. No other animal can claim this distinction! To domesticate an animal, and then turn it loose in the wild would be cruel, when they have been bred to depend on humans for their care.

Therefore, I feel that it is the ethical and moral thing for mankind to follow through on what was started ages ago, and continue to take care of these creatures. To do otherwise would be reprehensible, in my eyes.

As a member of mankind, I intend to do this to the best of my ability. This is what I truly believe.

Oh, and OP -- I would just ignore the facebook reply! ;)

:goodpost: