Post your beauty disasters....

my biggest beauty diaster would have to be from a couple of months ago when i did japanese hair straightening. I couldn't afford the REAL thing so I went to a chinese beauty school ( where students test out procedures on real customers and trust me i did my research...many friends of mine who have gone there have said they've received awesome haircuts and highlights cheap ) so I thought i'd try out there japanese hair straightening procedure.

well....I had some girl who was really nice and seemed confident when I first met her and she bought over all her supplies, mixed all the ingredients together, and started putting it on my hair. After a couple of coats of the mixture...she randomly dropped everything midway through and ran to the back....I was really confused but didn't think anything of it...just thought she needed to get something really fast. Anyways she came back and bought along another lady with her and she looked at my hair and they were talking in chinese/korean (couldn't tell ) and then one of the ladies signals me to come to another section of the room, makes me sit in a washroom with water running down my scalp and then it hit me that something was wrong...i asked, 'what was going on ?' and she just looked at me and said, 'no..noo...everything will be okay!' so I just turned around and continued to allow cold water to run through my hair while the original girl who was working on my hair is running around looking for something. I was really wishing for a mirror by now to see what was going on and finally after 10 minutes the lady explains to me that the girl mixed up the wrong products and was now mixing 4in. of hair because it all fell out in the sink!!!!!! I pretty much flipped out by then and the lady offered to fix everything for me and give me free haircuts, highlights, colorings for the next 3 months....i agreed as long as no student ever worked on me....just the teachers. I got over the 4in lose of hair because the lady gave me a really nice layered look...think Cameron Diaz shoulder length hair.

OMG i would have flipped. I could not imagaine losing 4" of hair at once. How is the rest of your hair?

my biggest beauty diaster would have to be from a couple of months ago when i did japanese hair straightening. I couldn't afford the REAL thing so I went to a chinese beauty school ( where students test out procedures on real customers and trust me i did my research...many friends of mine who have gone there have said they've received awesome haircuts and highlights cheap ) so I thought i'd try out there japanese hair straightening procedure.

well....I had some girl who was really nice and seemed confident when I first met her and she bought over all her supplies, mixed all the ingredients together, and started putting it on my hair. After a couple of coats of the mixture...she randomly dropped everything midway through and ran to the back....I was really confused but didn't think anything of it...just thought she needed to get something really fast. Anyways she came back and bought along another lady with her and she looked at my hair and they were talking in chinese/korean (couldn't tell ) and then one of the ladies signals me to come to another section of the room, makes me sit in a washroom with water running down my scalp and then it hit me that something was wrong...i asked, 'what was going on ?' and she just looked at me and said, 'no..noo...everything will be okay!' so I just turned around and continued to allow cold water to run through my hair while the original girl who was working on my hair is running around looking for something. I was really wishing for a mirror by now to see what was going on and finally after 10 minutes the lady explains to me that the girl mixed up the wrong products and was now mixing 4in. of hair because it all fell out in the sink!!!!!! I pretty much flipped out by then and the lady offered to fix everything for me and give me free haircuts, highlights, colorings for the next 3 months....i agreed as long as no student ever worked on me....just the teachers. I got over the 4in lose of hair because the lady gave me a really nice layered look...think Cameron Diaz shoulder length hair.

Hellosunshine-- Are you Asian and do you have colored/highlighted hair? One of my bff's is Korean and she has her straight perm done by one of her mom's friends. The woman is a stylist at a salon, but she does Japanese perms for friends at home pretty much for cost+tip. Well anyway, when I asked her about it she told me she couldn't do it on my hair, because I have "white" hair and it was colored at the time. She told me it would fall out and refused to do it. Maybe the product used on Asian hair is different than what Caucasian salons use? IDK :shrugs:

I tried to cut my own bangs once... they ended up really short and jaggedy and that was just awful...luckily most girls around that age (6th grade or so?) try this and we all go through phases of looking awkward!

Also, I never tried home-waxing but have gotten it done at salons many times. One time, in high school, I was getting an eyebrow wax and they lady kept talking about how sticky the wax seemed. I assumed wax was supposed to be sticky and didn't think much of it. She applied it to my right eyebrow, put the fabric (or whatever it is) down and pulled it off and then she freaked out!!! Turns out, she ripped a chunk out of the end 1/3 of my eyebrow instead of the hairs underneath because the wax wasn't at the right temperature and cooled in a weird way and was too gummy. Luckily, I have light eyebrows and was penciling them in anyways but those hairs still don't grow in as full as the other parts of my eyebrows and my eyebrows will always be uneven. Oh well, at least they are light colored?!

When I decided I wanted bright red hair (this was 1997, in the manga/raver style)....so I asked to a friend´s sister who was studying to be a hairdresser (1st year !!!!! should have known better). She dyed my hair, colored it, it came out bright washed out PINK !! I went to a music festival that night and then to the real hairdresser the day after, didn´t lose my hair but almost.

Appart from that when I was 10 and shaved the middle of my "unibrow", when I slept with humid entirely braided hair, 1st time I applied self tanning gel...

I have naturally curly hair (very loose curls). A few years ago, I read that I could chemically straighten it with a kit for African American hair (fyi- I have VERY fine caucasian hair). Anyway, it destroyed my hair and literally fried it and broke pieces off. It was traumatizing. :crybaby:

Omg, i would have died!

I would be pissed! Nice that you handled it well